Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to lights door how ambient

How to ambient door lights
yes you have to take the yellow and black wires from the light switch
and thread them through into the driver door and then up to the drivers switch.

if you look at this thread you can see how to tap into the light switch
(13:th-Jun-2016, 20:24:24)tucpal Wrote: yes you have to take the yellow and black wires from the light switch

Ill check out your headlight switch tutorial, I guess im going to have to do a door
card removal for the drivers side to thread the cable to get to the door pocket light.

Thanks for you pointers and how to's!
(13:th-Jun-2016, 20:32:29)Rymaan82 Wrote:
(13:th-Jun-2016, 20:24:24)tucpal Wrote: yes you have to take the yellow and black wires from the light switch

Ill check out your headlight switch tutorial, I guess im going to have to do a door
card removal for the drivers side to thread the cable to get to the door pocket light.

Thanks for you pointers and how to's!

Sorry, just reading somewhere else that I could use the yellow wire from the mirror adjusting 
switch in the drivers door (As I have power folding mirrors)? I havent had chance to 
take the door card off yet but would make my life a lot easier instead of trying to work out 
how to thread a cable through the door to the headlight switch.

Thanks
Worth a go
For those interested and future ref, I managed to complete the drivers door today, I have managed to use the black and yellow wires from the drivers external mirror switch! after removing the door card . So I didnt have to do it from the headlight switch thankfully.
good to know and well done
Ive tried wiring the LEDs for the doors to the window switch and the LED around the gear gator to the headlight switch and both work but they are always ON and they dont turn off no matter what until the driver's door is opened to cut the circuit off. any suggestions? the headlight control doesn't turn off the LED either.
please advise.
For the ambient light around the gearstick you'll have spliced into the wrong life wore on the headlight connector switch. There are two which are almost the same colour... Mine was the same till I spliced to the other one and now it's fine and only comes on when the headlights are on.

Not sure about the ones for the doors

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

As above wrong wire on switch
I'm still no further on with the drivers door. Unfortunately I haven't got election folding mirrors so can't use Rymaan82's solution.

I've picked up some LEDs to see if I can work out easilly which is which...

I have a feeling ill emd up taking a feed from the gear stick light.

If anyone has a solution using the pics I'd previously posted then you'd be a legend
Hi all after some help,,
I've just checked my car and i already have the leds in the door cards but they don`t work, ive check the wiring... without taking the door card off, and can see the cable from the led going behind the card..

so question dose my car just need programming or do you think the cable is not connected ??

regards

James,
you will have a small cable missing from the led to the loom
you will have to take the door card of to see
didn't really want to take the cards off,, the cable is there but can`t see where it disappears too,,

something to do this weekend then..
the only way to check it mate if there is a connector on the door card
and a loose connector on the door loom then you only need the small cables and join them up
on each door i dont know the part number for cable thou
Has anyone wired the door ambient up as per the factory setup. If so did you use pin 34 led ambient control or pin 26 led backlight dimming control.

I tried pin 34 and they were on all the time and don't dim but pin 26 dim and is controlled by the headlight switch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll check what pin mines in but sure it's 26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
looks like mine is like this ,, dose anyone know the pert number of the cable required to connect this up the the loom

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/contact...8.jpg.html

thanks 

james.
yer you just need the small looms x2 1 for each door front doors only
you could try the dealer's parts department
Just seeing a black screen when I click the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(7:th-Oct-2016, 08:29:21)jj120979 Wrote: looks like mine is like this ,, dose anyone know the pert number of the cable required to connect this up the the loom

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/contact...8.jpg.html

thanks 

james.

have you looked behind you own door card to see if that small connector is there
just because you have the LED in the door card does not mean that connector is there on the loom 
you need to look at yours first
All done this weekend.. lucky me all cables already behind the door cards, just connected them up..
Hi all, will be adding these but want to do it differently would seek your expertise on it.was thinking of cutting the cables then using piggy back spade connections then joining cable's from Windows with the door led cable's (solder + wrap) then use the spare spade connector to run LEDs I've seen that have a casing round them that sits semi flush into door pocket's then using that cable do the same again and run more LEDs and fit them into the back door pocket's (manual Windows),will there be enough power for this.the LEDs are 12volt with resistor on one of the cables?As for the extra wire would it be OK to use anything between 6amp &10 amp.any help much appreciated trying to re-learn electrics again, Cheers
Any body have any info for above,was thinking of just removing the pins on window connection and putting all the wires I need onto new pins then putting back as was,would that work,cheers
I wouldn't cut them but you could splice into them fine.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
No worries m8 wasn't sure about the splicing thing but got it now i think, Will just take power from back courtesy light for rear door pocket's lights?. What's best cable to use amp wise (is higher amp better,). Going to put LEDs at aux tray and take power from the gear surround light as it's on all the time engine's on any idea of what colour cables to tap into, cheers
Yeah you can do that.

I use 0.5mm cable same as factory.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers rusty, take it it's just 5amp cable then , found a big roll speaker wire in garage it's thin can you use this,to confirm splicing separate sheathing twist wires onto exposed wires then solder and cover, that's what's in my head, cheers
(12:th-Mar-2017, 09:25:49)Rusty2009 Wrote: Yeah you can do that.

I use 0.5mm cable same as factory.
Daft brain,very bad memory but worked for tel communications company got reels of telephone cable each strand is diameter what you've mentioned can use that if good enough to carry power,more money for other stuff,can't work money tight.any one else used this without any problems. Thanks
Speaker wire is ok, as long as the phone wire isn't single strand that will be fine too.

As for splice remove some sheathing from the wire your splicing into then using a small toothpick make a gap in it, the wire your adding strip and feed through twist together.

You can then solder and then heatshrink (I normally de-pin from connector)
Or
Just wrap in elec tape or again heatshrink.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
No worries,sorry as for strand meant same thickness and think there's about 13 strands of copper wire so should be fine, Will do solder and heat shrink better connection i think, will check threads on what cables to tap into then get going. All interior lights including extra boot light,then courtesy light on mirrors, puddle lights, hopefully door handle lights,then an idea I've got for something else ?Got plenty of time so.so to think about all.again your info, patience, understanding welcomed..Wife will be regretting this, will take pics as i go, will get wife to pay for me as a paid member, Cheers
Yes that'll be fine this is what I use same as factory.

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/0...:::1630968
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Snap, that's one of three companies i have bookmarked for getting stuff,time to go through notepad and order LEDs, will get proper cable then know it's the right one's, peice of mind,then watch wife's face as i dismantle car ? I'm ok with taking things off it was the wires & connections that was getting to me.thanks again rusty, cheers
These are the one's use,

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/ (the postage prices have shot up)

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/

https://www.electricalcarservices.com/

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/index.html

lol just take your time and don't rush.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hi, I've got an Astra J ST 2013, Active+.

Please help me, I have nightmares with this.

I have a lot of problems with ambient lightning.
First I was installing ambient around gear gator. There was LED around him but it wasn't working. I have a manal handbrake and there was big connector on the LED.
I connected them using tutorial from this forum and thanks for that.

Then I decided to put ambient light on doors. My friend did that before me and he said that there were factory connectors behind door trim. He had same equipment (Active) as me but he has EPB (and factoy working ambient light around gear gator).

He just connected it and it worked immediately.

When I took off door trim I saw that I have factory connector for the ambient light just as my friend.

Now when I connected everything it doesn't work. I mean that the light is working all the time with 10% of its power and it doesn't react on light switch (when I turn lights on everything powers on except of that door ambient light).

Same thing was with ambient around gear gator before I connected them on power switch(yellow wire) via tutorial. LED was working all the time a little bit.

Problem is that I have all 4 electric windows and I don't have yellow wire on drivers side to connect that LED using this tutorial.

Do you have any ideas what can I do to make my door ambient light to light as it should be?

I hope you understood what the problem is and I hope you can help me.
Sorry for my bad English.

G5 via Tapatalk
Anyone?

G5 via Tapatalk
Vauxhall may have changed the colour of the wire (happens on some looms) what wire wire colour is coming out of the pin on your car where yellow is on this how-to?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thank you for the answer Rusty.

I've checked, there is green-yellow wire on place where should be the yellow one.
There is no power like on the yellow one on passenger side.

G5 via Tapatalk
Right I just checked the pin-out there is no LED dimming control on the drivers door window switch with full electrics.

I'll look into the wiring at the door/body plug.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thank you Rusty once again. I hope you'll find the solution.

Worst of all is (as I said a few posts up) that I have connected LED on factory connector and it doesn't work. Thats very stupid from Opel/Vauxhall

G5 via Tapatalk
Ok I just looked at the pinout for the door loom plug.

There is 2 wires for LED.

Yellow in pin 26
White/Yellow in pin 34
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thank you very much! I'll chek in the next few days and post here what the situation is.

G5 via Tapatalk
Rusty I've checked, both pins (on door and body side) are there.

I really don't know what is problem and why it doesn't work.
It's working all the time with 10% of its power.
Look:

It's working like this all the time, even when is car off! It doesn' react when I turning on/off headlights etc.

As I mentioned, I don't have factory ambient light around gear gator (sportstourer without EPB) and I've connected it on headlight switch via tutorial from this forum.
Is that problem maybe?? Because it didn't connected on big connector behind gear gator and because of that door ambient light not working??

I really don't know and haven't idea what is problem.

G5 via Tapatalk
That's strange, it should affect it how you've done the gator light.

I'll have to look into this.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yes, I agree that is related with the gator light. I can't see other reason.

Please have a look if you can. Thank you!

G5 via Tapatalk
Hi Rusty, I have update and I will try to explain it with my bad English

Today I was disconnect LED around gear gator and connect it to the big connector where it was connected from factory. But I've changed position of pins just like on this picture of tupcal:

Before it was connected on pins 6 and 7.
On pin No. 7 I have 1.3V all the time, just like in connector for door ambient light (just checked today).

OK I think that pin No. 7 on big connector under gear gator and connector on the door has some coherence because both of them have 1.3V all the time.

But LED is now working connected to pins 9 and 10 and its look like factory. When I remove key from ignition it powers off etc.

This is really confusing. I hope that you understand this what I wrote

Do you have any ideas where is problem with door ambient light?
Now I think that LED around gear gator isn't fault for that because now its working like factory (just like on tupcals picture).

G5 via Tapatalk
I've not had a chance as yet to look into it been so busy I try and get some time asap to look into it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
OK, thank you

G5 via Tapatalk

Thanks all,

got mine done today..... plus gearstick light 

top info
Hi guys

I am thinking of giving this ago I've had an idea of getting a 5mm led adding speaker cable and splicing to the connector would this work or would I need a resistor?
as long as they are 12v you shouldn't need a resistor
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to install FOOT WELL LIGHTS tucpal 136 73,568 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:00:17
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Super Bright Boot Lights sheppy1 26 19,979 12:th-Nov-2020, 17:54:59
Last Post: Arkanggel10
  how too AMBIENT LIGHT AROUND THE GEAR GATOR tucpal 165 94,604 15:th-Oct-2020, 06:59:05
  Projector HID retro fit Astra j 5 door tucpal 88 67,744 4:th-Jun-2020, 09:01:15
  HOW-TO LED DRL Error free for the Astra-J 5 door tucpal 217 129,375 21:st-Sep-2019, 10:01:53
  How to fit courtesy lights in mirrors kyle-astra-j 21 16,512 18:th-Feb-2018, 06:15:13
Last Post: Leigh0274
  Upgrading Fog lights on J 5 door GarethMyers14 4 8,272 17:th-Nov-2017, 02:25:38
Last Post: sanj424
  How to Puddle Lights Rusty2009 22 20,353 6:th-Nov-2017, 20:16:44
Last Post: zzattack
  HOW TO LED TAIL LIGHTS tucpal 31 23,023 24:th-Oct-2017, 12:29:02
Last Post: Grimo72
  how to upgrade interior lights to SMD LED tucpal 91 49,960 2:nd-Aug-2016, 13:42:21

Who read this thread?
6 User(s) read this thread:
greg848484 (11:th-Jun-2023, 18:57:26), Rosen Popov (12:th-Sep-2023, 16:40:43), exhippykev (27:th-Jun-2023, 22:04:51), Jnny (16:th-Apr-2024, 18:44:24), syntetx (9:th-Dec-2023, 18:34:12), dave67 (29:th-Mar-2024, 10:37:53)