This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
to led door j the astra free error for how 5 drl

HOW-TO LED DRL Error free for the Astra-J 5 door
Well, all my parts have arrived and I have a day off work. Just need a short trip to Halfords for some extra wire and we're good to go.

I feel nervous thinking about it haha.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
[Image: 417101.png]
Well, ive done it! Quite proud of myself lol.

Thanks as usual for the how to guide

[Image: 0f34b4e380dd135596cde37945bdbd69.jpg]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
well done mate very good always glad to get the feed back
[Image: DSC03659_zpssmtodvyc.jpg]
Ok , So I put everything up like on photos and diagram. But I found problem first...they only two resistors are working cos they are hot , and the new bulbs not working, standard ones works ok. The new one only gets a flash when I getting them in to sockets. Where did make a mistake? Please Help and this are the bulbs which I'm using .[Image: 533e1b7f196aeca546241e9f5290dc07.jpg]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
if you read back thou the posts you will see not all LED DRLS work
i only recommend the ones from HIDS direct as i known they work correctly
try them and see if the problem is sorted out
Xenons R Us on Instagram/social media have apparently had Corsa D LED DRL bulbs developed that work and are error/flicker free. Does the D use the same bulbs as the Astra?

https://instagram.com/xenons.r.us/

Might be worth looking into them..
i dont think it will be error free on the astra j 5 door DRL as they are on the cambus
the astra GTC is not on the canbus so they do not need load resisters to cancel the errors
if they have a LED that works error free on the corsa D then it may just be like the astra GTC
and not be on the canbus the LED bulb may well work on the astra j 5 door and dim etc
but i would be 100% sure loads would still need to be added
Hi,

I also want to upgrade my DRL's on Astra J.

I am looking to get some Cree LED 7443 bulbs from china that have the canbus built into the bulb.

Would these throw up an error?

Thanks
HM11ESH
yes there is no such thing as an error free DRL on the astra j 5 door
canbus will still give errors with out load resisters
Anybody know what wire is suitable for extending the load resistors please?
Sure I just used a 10amp did not have any issues
something like this would be more than ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-1-5mm-21A-...3a7b9509bb
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Is there any danger or reduction in performance for the HID direct LEDs if I don't use load resistors? There are errors, which I just clear when it comes up.
No mate they still work but you just get errors everytime.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Tucpal which wires did you actually use then? I've read through all the comments as I'm considering doing this to my Vx-Line Astra and you've said that you've used the 8,ohm wires to extend the loads but then you've also said that you've used 10,ohm. Newbie
i did do it twice ha ha 10 will be fine
(29:th-Sep-2015, 22:11:41)tucpal Wrote: i did do it twice ha ha 10 will be fine

Thanks mate, I've got the parts on order, just need a trip to the ever so cheap Halfords for some cable!
Cable wasn't too bad to be fair mate, although I had mine on trade.

bhalay - my friend works in a garage so I'm going to see if I can use his trade card

Also Tucpal I noticed that your wiring in your second attempt was a lot tidier, did you just follow the same wiring as the first one or was there a different way?
Best way mate. I'd be devastated if I lost my trade card. It's saved me a fair bit over the years.

Has anyone considered these?

http://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-Multi-...B00H7REU9G
I don't understand how they'd work in the J as it doesn't have protector lights.

They would work in them if you did what Tucpal did to his lights. I'd do what he's done to his lights but I don't have the expertise nor the confidence to do it to my own haha.
Big Grin 
So I finally got round to doing the LEDs and I must admit the difference is subtle but one that is noticeable. 
I found the passenger side DRL trickier as there was less room, I got myself so worked up that I had to walk away at one point haha. Drivers side was a doddle, just removed the air filter box like tucpal said and it was done in no time at all. 

Took a couple of pictures before & afters to show the difference.

1st picture drivers side has the original factory bulb (the horrible yellow one that nobody likes) and on the passenger side is the prolarg bulb. I never got around to trying the PIAAs due to mixed reports of it melting the headlight units. 

2nd & 3rd picture is of the LEDs which I must admit look amazing, although they now make my dipped beams look yellowish! So I think its time to start considering HIDs! 

Thanks to tucpal for the tut and the other users for their comments, they've been a great help. Keep it up tucpal.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

your welcome glad your happy they look even better on a dull day
They look so much better compared to the alternatives available. I've noticed my left one has started to flicker so I'll need to get that replaced at some point

How long have you had them in @bhalay207 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Few months now

For £25 you'd expect them to last a bit longer :/

Hmm, I was a little disappointed but you have to expect that with LEDs. In fairness to HID direct, they have offered to exchange it but I need to send it back to them first but I can't put normal bulbs back in with the load resisters wired in.

Wink 
I'll borrow this topic.

Today I changed the halogen headlamps (Astra MY15) with halogen+LED DRL.
Now I have a DRL error message on display.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the headlamp type?
Is it possible to do it with op-com or some similar diagnostic tool?

Thanks for the hints and tips.
Jerry, I did get your PM and wanted to look into a few things before getting back you, I've just not had a chance as yet.

I'm pretty sure there should be a ballast that goes under the LED DRL headlight. I've not seen any change in wiring but need to double check this.

However I would recommend you don't use the LED units until it's all sorted as you could be damaging the LEDs.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
agreed do not use factory LED DRL without the ballasts
at all you must not do this
You best get hunting some down mate

Hay,
the factory headlamp with LED DRL has already built-in the 'balast' driver for LEDs.
The headlamps are working perfectly -> of course if you ignore the warning message 'check left/right daytime running light' Wink

I think it is problem in consumption (21W DRL bulb use about 1.6 Amp on the other hand LED DRL only about 0.6 Amp).
The BCM detects lower consumption as a bulb failure. I guess only, because three different types of a headlamps can be fitted.
Just spoken with a mate who works for Vauxhall, he's confirmed the ballast is built into the light, I've asked him to check the wiring for me (as I have to pay £10 otherwise) but he's pretty sure like I am there is no change in the wiring.

So Once I have an answer from him I'll let you know.

But I do think you will need to request a VCI (via someone with an MDI and access to GM) so the BCM can be told you have LED DRL/sidelights.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
That's if they give a VCI code. We know what Vauxhall/Opel are like when it comes to putting newer spec items on an older spec.

Would be good to know if they do however.

Well yes there is that they won't give me a VCI for the front camera.

Sometimes you just need to find a way to request the VCI as they don't list much at all.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Sneaky sneaky. Lol

I was tinkering under the bonnet today and snapped one of the clips for the bottom half of the air box completely off (the bits with the rubber sleeves) and so I've done a bodge job on it with a screw and bolt.
Reckon it will hold?
[Image: 9aaf3b2d5ad5fc4e882e6b14fca93a6e.jpg][Image: a972db880b2cde160cac42b44e396742.jpg]

(23:rd-Oct-2015, 07:53:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: Just spoken with a mate who works for Vauxhall, he's confirmed the ballast is built into the light, I've asked him to check the wiring for me (as I have to pay £10 otherwise) but he's pretty sure like I am there is no change in the wiring.

But I do think you will need to request a VCI (via someone with an MDI and access to GM) so the BCM can be told you have LED DRL/sidelights.

I've got factory LED DRL if you need to have a look at anything when I'm down.

(23:rd-Oct-2015, 07:53:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: Just spoken with a mate who works for Vauxhall, he's confirmed the ballast is built into the light, I've asked him to check the wiring for me (as I have to pay £10 otherwise) but he's pretty sure like I am there is no change in the wiring.

I've got factory LED DRL if you need to have a look at anything when I'm down.
good idea fixing the airbox it won't do any harm like that
Haha well it saves buying a new airbox!

Quick one....

Would these remove the need to have two resistors each side for led drls and sidelights

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...04&alt=web

sure someone tried them and they did not work or went on fire or something like that
something you would have to try but as they need two loads to dim down i would say they won't be error free
Haha... Nothing drastic then!!

Has anyone tried these?
http://www.docvauxhall.co.uk/product/drl...20insignia

They seem to think that it should be plug and play without error message, I'm not so sure and they quite expensive if I do then have to get load resistors as well!
on the corsa maybe but the astra j doubt it very much
(24:th-Mar-2016, 20:54:15)tucpal Wrote: on the corsa maybe but the astra j doubt it very much

I thought same tbh, according to them though it works, I'm going to stick to your guys recommendations!
I must say for the cost of the LEDs from HID Direct, I'm disappointed. I have both sides flickering now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to ambient door lights tucpal 214 131,166 28:th-Mar-2021, 00:48:32
Last Post: Benk91
  Projector HID retro fit Astra j 5 door tucpal 88 71,140 4:th-Jun-2020, 09:01:15
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Upgrading Fog lights on J 5 door GarethMyers14 4 8,647 17:th-Nov-2017, 02:25:38
Last Post: sanj424

Who read this thread?
7 User(s) read this thread:
Big Dave2 (25:th-Jan-2024, 12:44:56), Rocky33 (16:th-Sep-2023, 17:15:10), loeb (22:nd-Mar-2024, 21:08:59), bill33 (29:th-Mar-2024, 03:24:35), Rosen Popov (12:th-Sep-2023, 16:47:56), Dominattor (12:th-Nov-2023, 01:21:49), mc92661 (13:th-Sep-2023, 20:44:46)