Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
failure question belt cam change auxiliary

Auxiliary Belt failure - cam belt change question
Hi all, I bought an Astra 2.0 CDTI recently and they fitted a new cambelt and waterpump as part of the sale. Just 2 weeks after getting the car the auxiliary belt shredded and snapped on the M11 and subsequently the brakes, power steering and just about every other light came on on the dash before the battery lost charge and it died. The garage I bought it from took the car back and put a new aux belt and battery in under warranty. They said the reason the belt snapped was due to a lose pulley but they went no where near that when they changed the cam belt so it wasn't their fault. Is that correct? I'd have thought the aux belt needs removing to do a cam belt change? Also cause the whole left hand side of the engine bay is covered in shredded belt dust, Im worried about whether the cam belt needs changing again, but they reckon not. Any advice welcome.

Oh also aside from all that the car has broken again and I have the service vehicle soon message. Done an opcom code read and coming back as glow plug pressure sensor cylinder 1. I'm assuming this is unrelated but unlucky. They're refusing the do that under warranty which is annoying. So far this car hasn't been the best purchase!

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure the aux belt is infront of the cambelt hence why I had my aux belt replaced when the cam belt was done.

In terms of glowplug just unlucky and it is a wear & tear item (although given how long you've had the car you would think they may do something even it was 50% of the cost). but they don't really have to.

This is a genuine sensor and the cheapest I've seen them for.
https://www.autovaux.co.uk/55590467-genu...gm55590467
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Fully agree with what Rusty says.

Sounds like they cut corners by not replacing the aux belt a the same time as the cam belt. It has to be removed to gain access to the cam belt, so might as well change it. False economy not to.

I also failed to get a glowplug replaced under warranty. Cost me something like £150 4 years ago including the part, labour and diagnosis check. Although I had already told them what was wrong with my own diagnostic check.

3 different types glowplugs for your engine if it has start / stop. 2 different types if non start / stop.

Mine was cylinder No.2 that failed. Had to be the expensive pressure sensor one that failed.
Can you just replace one plug or is it likely that all four will need doing at the same time? If you replaced just one how long did the others last afterwards?

I had just the 1 replaced 8 months ago and others seem fine
Yes just replace each one as they fail given the price of the pressure sensor glow-plugs.

Doing the the same on the Mrs Mokka when failed just after we bought it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Had one glowplug fail at 25,000 miles. Even the garage recommended only changing the faulty one due to the cost of them. Most unusual for a main dealer

Anyway, car now has 61,000 miles on it, with only one GP being changed.

Car runs fine. Touches wood.
Thanks all, I'll get one bought

(27:th-Aug-2020, 13:23:42)David` Wrote: Thanks all, I'll get one bought

Which ever garage you get to fit it or even if you do it yourself, tell them to grease it to help prevent it sizing in there.

(I had all 4 of mine removed and greased when I bought it after having a glow-plug snap in the head on the old Veccy).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra A17DTF - Timing Belt or Chain? everson38 1 1,546 17:th-Jun-2021, 12:03:07
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra J 1.6 A16XER (115 hp) 2010 Outer Belt (and perhaps Timing Belt, too Acond 1 3,131 14:th-Aug-2020, 14:35:21
Last Post: Rusty2009
  2016 Astra K GTC Malfunction Light Question ed-b 2 4,189 28:th-Oct-2018, 03:48:53
Last Post: ed-b
  Timing Belt and Water pump change Tarrymittens 0 2,978 25:th-Oct-2018, 16:08:39
Last Post: Tarrymittens
  auto transmission fluid change niteram 4 4,214 23:rd-Aug-2018, 10:00:48
  Air con pully/clutch question Jdswifty 2 2,970 5:th-Aug-2018, 06:47:50
Last Post: mrcraigyd
  timing belt and water pump bigsadie 5 6,057 13:th-Nov-2017, 08:28:58
  power steering failure whilst driving TCT360 1 3,532 2:nd-Sep-2017, 07:14:35

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
HillySRI (18:th-Nov-2023, 16:24:05)