Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
steering wheel replace airbag

Replace steering wheel airbag
Hi all.

Currently in the process of rebadging my GTC to Opel blitz from the griffin.

The steering wheel I found out however is not just a case of replacing the plastic badge, but the airbag.  Dealer want around £500 for a new one.

Was gonna just not bother (or get a sticker!), but then I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Astra-J-H...SwHnFV4Zmv

Is that the right bit?  And if it is, is it just a sub one hour job for the dealer to do?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I would do it yourself or get a local garage to do it
save £££ on dealer labour costs
looks like the correct part but best to send them your reg or ask first just to be safe
you could look for used but you will have to look in europe ebay
thanks for reply.

I'm not against a bit of DIY - my only concern is with this particular job and the airbag exploding in my face.  Plus I want the peace of mind of knowing the airbag is fitted properly.  Good idea on another garage though - will make some enquiries.  Bound to be cheaper than the dealer.
Looks like the right part to me.

Have a look at my thread and it will guide you through doing the job yourself.

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...el-Buttons
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks Rusty.

Actually I'd seen your guide and it was that that scared me off a bit!

But I've just had another careful look and actually, if i've understood it right, being as i'm just removing the airbag and not the whole wheel or buttons, all I have to do is the turning the wheel upside down bit, the two holes in the back, pull the airbag away, and disconnect one wire - is that correct?

One other thing - there won't be any electronic issues will there - computer sensing that an airbag has been tampered with or something like that?

Thanks again.
No there shouldn't be any problems atall.

Just pull the negative off the battery and let the systems discharge before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Its a 5 to 10min job real easy as said above just disconnect the battery negative
(10:th-Jun-2016, 01:30:41)newredgtc Wrote: my only concern is with this particular job and the airbag exploding in my face. 

I deal with accident damage cars, I've had the odd airbag go off, I can assure you it is not a nice experience at all.
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
Well.. I've had the airbag portion out and even broke a clip that connects the cable to the air bag and all was fine with me... I never had the front cover with the badge off though

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(11:th-Jun-2016, 21:06:12)tommyboy1289 Wrote:
(10:th-Jun-2016, 01:30:41)newredgtc Wrote: my only concern is with this particular job and the airbag exploding in my face. 

I deal with accident damage cars, I've had the odd airbag go off, I can assure you it is not a nice experience at all.

i was just all nice and confident and reassured by the other comments, then you come along and make me scared again! lol

lol in all seriousness thanks for the warning though. I've just bought the part now, so I'm gonna give it a good go and just take my time and be careful. I might wear a motorcycle helmet as I do it ;-)
(12:th-Jun-2016, 12:46:15)newredgtc Wrote:

i was just all nice and confident and reassured by the other comments, then you come along and make me scared again! lol

lol in all seriousness thanks for the warning though. I've just bought the part now, so I'm gonna give it a good go and just take my time and be careful. I might wear a motorcycle helmet as I do it ;-)
Neighbours will think you've lost the plot haha

HAHA just remember to follow the instructions
I've removed my airbag a handful of times on the Astra and many times before on previous cars and not once have I had one go off. Take the negative battery off and leave it for 15 or so mins for the car to discharge and then get it removed. You'll be fine!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

lol in all seriousness thanks for the warning though.  I've just bought the part now, so I'm gonna give it a good go and just take my time and be careful.  I might wear a motorcycle helmet as I do it ;-)

You've no need to worry if you follow all the instructions, look in the general chat area of the forum you'll see a couple of photos of stuff I pick up, they've usually gone off if it's front end damage and I ram it onto my lorry (when driveable), not very often with modern cars but older ones are more prone to it
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
(12:th-Jun-2016, 16:43:46)tommyboy1289 Wrote:

lol in all seriousness thanks for the warning though.  I've just bought the part now, so I'm gonna give it a good go and just take my time and be careful.  I might wear a motorcycle helmet as I do it ;-)

You've no need to worry if you follow all the instructions, look in the general chat area of the forum you'll see a couple of photos of stuff I pick up, they've usually gone off if it's front end damage and I ram it onto my lorry (when driveable), not very often with modern cars but older ones are more prone to it
So do you literally find written off cars left at the side of the road and take them?! Ha

reporting back in!

I did it! Lost heart after about 20 minutes of trying to slide the metal bars across - the one side just wouldn't come loose no matter how hard i pushed - my fingers and thumbs are killing me now and i bent two screwdrivers!

Anyway I kind of got the knack of it in the end and once it was off, whole job was complete by about two mins later. Computer did ask me to wind down and then back up my windows which i guess is normal but apart from that, everything's perfect!

Only a simple job in the grand scheme of things I know, but pretty chuffed I did it myself lol

I like the improved look!

https://goo.gl/photos/HHmW5N3CVpacMoDv5
(12:th-Jun-2016, 17:27:52)sheppy1 Wrote:
(12:th-Jun-2016, 16:43:46)tommyboy1289 Wrote:

So do you literally find written off cars left at the side of the road and take them?! Ha

Haha some are at the side of the road, alot at recovery garages/car bodyshops, unless i can see it's mullered i'll always try to drive it on, beats trying to get my lorry in and using the winch, had one bmw, front wheel smashed completely off, doors on one side and the roof cut off, still started and drove it onto my lorry, thank god for RWD
The window thing is just to reset the auto open close setting.

Quickest way to reset it is just to hold each switch up rather than taking them all down and then all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
WELL DONE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steering wheel angle, esp, power Steering smoky-jr 3 2,616 6:th-Jun-2021, 18:23:26
Last Post: jeniferbitcoin71
  Broken wheel stud Euroshopper 1 1,682 6:th-Oct-2020, 07:08:18
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Replace windscreen washer bottle cap ma444 1 1,857 4:th-Oct-2020, 07:51:42
  Steering wheel from Astra K foxydimsi 2 3,442 1:st-Oct-2020, 06:49:56
  GTC limited edition alloy wheel paint code Nathan191210 5 3,305 1:st-Aug-2020, 19:22:43
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,652 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  space saver wheel Gary13 5 3,524 24:th-May-2020, 19:02:57
Last Post: Gary13
  Squeak when turning steering wheel Rusty2009 12 11,024 12:th-Sep-2019, 21:45:35
Last Post: Boycey1969
  Lowering and wheel spacers twinpipes 1 2,520 28:th-Jul-2019, 08:43:33
  Astra VXR heated steering wheel THEHITMAN 26 15,382 10:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:44