Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to a install sat safe location nav how

How to install Sat Nav to a safe location
This little gadget seems too obvious for me to post it online and technically it isn't a 'how to' guide. However, I'm sure there are drivers on this forum who may just have overlooked this idea so I'm posting it in case it helps someone.

Instead of having your TomTom stuck on the windscreen in your face, there is a 'gooseneck' available, some made my TomTom themselves and others that are after market. Mine is an after market one and may do the job better because as far as I know it is slightly longer and therefore easier to use, plus its cheaper.

This is what you need, available from Ebay sellers. Mine was bought from a UK seller but a quick search of 'tomtom gooseneck' should find what you're looking for. Someone in the US were selling them for $6.95 plus $12 shipping, about £13 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-10RL-STEP-1...54088c6d7b

I have the TomTom XXL so it uses the 'easyport' mount. Make sure you buy the right fitting for your sat nav. I believe they sell them for Garmins too.

The quarter light by the drivers door is the perfect place for it to go and on the photos below you can see that your vision is not affected by the position of the TomTom. Even better is that the cable nicely slots into the recess around the top of the dashboard above the instruments.

*Admin, if this mod is in the wrong place please move it appropriately.
That's a good find and a good write up.

Just a thought tho with it being that close to air vent if blowing out hot air it may affect the unit due to the extra heat, although if pumping cold air out it will help cool the unit.

But I see you have the vent shut off
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Its been there almost four years without a problem and it is above the vent, but then I don't use the side vents too much. It'll be OK.
nice mate i like it
well done

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Install aftermarket head unit Rusty2009 55 53,439 14:th-Mar-2021, 15:16:56
Last Post: GTC-Nut
  CD400 buttons not working Android head unit install mephisto 4 7,506 27:th-Oct-2019, 17:30:00
Last Post: mephisto
  How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera sheppy1 64 38,635 9:th-Jan-2019, 15:07:53
Last Post: Shorty5
Android Auto Install Marek 3 6,142 4:th-Aug-2018, 07:47:17
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Sub Install Cobra01706 10 7,383 9:th-Aug-2017, 18:44:56
Last Post: Cobra01706
  Tablet install..... millsy417 0 2,880 7:th-Jul-2017, 19:44:13
Last Post: millsy417
  M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info sheppy1 654 262,324 21:st-May-2017, 12:55:12
Last Post: marcus01