Switch to desktop version  
M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: ICE (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+--- Thread: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info (/showthread.php?tid=2128)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - jamesdwong - 23:rd-May-2016

Anybody got this fitted in a GTC? Everything seems to work perfectly now apart from the FM radio. The signal is almost non existent. Do the 5 door J's have an independent antenna amp like the GTC does? Could this be why my signal is so bad?

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - JonathanLondon - 24:th-May-2016

(23:rd-May-2016, 10:50:39)marcus Wrote:
(22:nd-May-2016, 21:41:31)marcus Wrote: Point 1. I can't say I have tried the aux in since I put the unit in a few months ago. Will try it out for you tomorrow if I remember to take a cable along with me.
Point 2. Functionally the 2 usbs are the same just with different connectors.
Point 3. No idea about this.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
this is the usb connector for the factory one. this is the second usb connector. Boggo standard one.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pictures are really REALLY helpful.  Many thanks!

Jonathan

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - stigeye - 24:th-May-2016

(23:rd-May-2016, 23:13:28)jamesdwong Wrote: Anybody got this fitted in a GTC? Everything seems to work perfectly now apart from the FM radio. The signal is almost non existent. Do the 5 door J's have an independent antenna amp like the GTC does? Could this be why my signal is so bad?

Most 5dr J's have just a standard FM roof mount aerial, I could be wrong but the GTC has a dummy shark fin and the FM is taken from the tailgate along with the DAB. If the FM & DAB cable then goes through a splitter and you end up with one aerial sharing both signals then this is maybe why your FM signal has been diluted.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - mrtc - 24:th-May-2016

i guess one fix would be to get the gps shark fin aerial rusty has ordered, think its abit pricey though

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - jamesdwong - 24:th-May-2016

(24:th-May-2016, 20:46:59)stigeye Wrote:
(23:rd-May-2016, 23:13:28)jamesdwong Wrote: Anybody got this fitted in a GTC? Everything seems to work perfectly now apart from the FM radio. The signal is almost non existent. Do the 5 door J's have an independent antenna amp like the GTC does? Could this be why my signal is so bad?

Most 5dr J's have just a standard FM roof mount aerial, I could be wrong but the GTC has a dummy shark fin and the FM is taken from the tailgate along with the DAB. If the FM & DAB cable then goes through a splitter and you end up with one aerial sharing both signals then this is maybe why your FM signal has been diluted.

Thanks for the help. Managed to sort it, the aerial amp wasn't get a 12v input. Spliced into one of the wires to give the amp power. Crystal clear now 

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - xtech - 25:th-May-2016

Hi guys, i've just ordered the M072 unit. I have one doubt about it, though. Do i really need the external microphone? Because it seems the unit has two small rounded holes next to the screen (left side). I've had a chinese unit on my previous Astra H which also had those small holes which were the unit internal microphone, so chances are we don't need to plug the external microphone. Can you confirm this? I'm asking this because the external mic it looks ugly to me.

Btw: awesome @tonto looks amazing and i've just ordered the dual USB socket to replace the rear lighter. But i have here a doubt:
(23:rd-May-2016, 07:26:11)Tonto Wrote: Straight forward really! I took off the rear trim and snipped the cig lighter wires and took it out. The spliced the new wires from usb socket into existing wires.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252250761855
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you remove the rear trim? I'm afraid of breaking something...

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 25:th-May-2016

The internal mic is not connected to the board and is a hardware limitation. I think I may have read that on the roadnav forum.

M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Tonto - 25:th-May-2016

(25:th-May-2016, 03:03:30)xtech Wrote: Hi guys, i've just ordered the M072 unit. I have one doubt about it, though. Do i really need the external microphone? Because it seems the unit has two small rounded holes next to the screen (left side). I've had a chinese unit on my previous Astra H which also had those small holes which were the unit internal microphone, so chances are we don't need to plug the external microphone. Can you confirm this? I'm asking this because the external mic it looks ugly to me.

Btw: awesome @tonto looks amazing and i've just ordered the dual USB socket to replace the rear lighter. But i have here a doubt:
(23:rd-May-2016, 07:26:11)Tonto Wrote: Straight forward really! I took off the rear trim and snipped the cig lighter wires and took it out. The spliced the new wires from usb socket into existing wires.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252250761855

How did you remove the rear trim? I'm afraid of breaking something...

Hi,

Slide front seats forward and on the rear trim you will see the line where you can slide a trim tool in to prise it open, it was a little stiff at first but does come off. Once you start you'll realise it's very simple.

Where I've circled you can see the line where trim joins.

You don't get much room once it's off until you unplug the wiring for cig lighter.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 25:th-May-2016

(22:nd-May-2016, 18:23:18)JonathanLondon Wrote: Hi

I have a similar question.  My Astra has a CD400 with a 3.5mm aux input jack on the dash (no USB).  Is there a 3.5mm input on the S160?  Looks like I need to replace it with a Vaux USB socket to do a neat job.

Is there any difference between the two USB sockets on the S160 apart from the fact that one is on a 4-pin connector which connects to a Vauxhall USB socket, and one is a standard socket.  Do they perform different functions?

As well as the lighter socket, I would like an additional USB socket for charging devices.  It looks like I might be able to add another Vaux USB socket to the other side, but perhaps I'd be better off buying a dash mount USB charger like one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Dual-Double-USB-Car-Charger-Socket-Outlet-3-1A-Panel-Mount-Jack-Motorcycle-/321651820309 and connect it to the existing lighter socket.

In which case, should I run a fly lead from the USB socket on the back of the S160 to the glove box as a handy extra?

Thanks,
Jonathan
I tried the aux in this morning, it doesn't appear to work anymore with the new head unit. I had a quick look through the menu options again and the aux1 application is the video in feed.

To be honest, I installed it a while ago so can't really remember a connector to the unit for the aux in. It didn't really help that I swapped out my auxin only dashboard console for a auxin/usb one at the same time as well so I was focusing on the new usb port addition.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Pabzyyy - 25:th-May-2016

(24:th-May-2016, 23:24:11)jamesdwong Wrote:

Thanks for the help. Managed to sort it, the aerial amp wasn't get a 12v input. Spliced into one of the wires to give the amp power. Crystal clear now 
What wire did you splice, to get this to work? Have my HU coming tomorrow, and don't want any issues with my GTC. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - jamesdwong - 25:th-May-2016

(25:th-May-2016, 10:09:42)Pabzyyy Wrote:
(24:th-May-2016, 23:24:11)jamesdwong Wrote:

What wire did you splice, to get this to work? Have my HU coming tomorrow, and don't want any issues with my GTC. Thanks

I asked for help from the guy at Icebox. He tapped into the yellow wire at the bottom of the head unit adapter and bridged a connection to the yellow and green wire on the cars harness. Try installing it without doing this first, they guy said not all GTC's experience this problem.

(25:th-May-2016, 06:23:17)marcus Wrote: The internal mic is not connected to the board and is a hardware limitation. I think I may have read that on the roadnav forum.

It's kind of odd being there but not connected to the the board... i'll check the roadnav forum to see if i can get further info. If so, i'll post here.

(25:th-May-2016, 06:52:56)Tonto Wrote: Hi,

Slide front seats forward and on the rear trim you will see the line where you can slide a trim tool in to prise it open, it was a little stiff at first but does come off. Once you start you'll realise it's very simple.

Where I've circled you can see the line where trim joins.

You don't get much room once it's off until you unplug the wiring for cig lighter.

Thank you Sir!

Well it was not specific to the M072 but only generic to the S160 units, but it seems that:

- The internal microphone works, no need to install the external one
- If you plug the external mic, you can't get it working with the Android OS (if you want some voice commands) because it is not wired to the board (so @marcus it seems to be the other way around: it's the external mic connection that isn't connected to the board). However if you have some soldering skills this can be fixed with this mod: 
  External Microphone mod.pdf (Size: 1,013.76 KB / Downloads: 23)

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - JonathanLondon - 25:th-May-2016

(25:th-May-2016, 12:32:19)xtech Wrote: Well it was not specific to the M072 but only generic to the S160 units, but it seems that:

- The internal microphone works, no need to install the external one
- If you plug the external mic, you can't get it working with the Android OS (if you want some voice commands) because it is not wired to the board (so @marcus it seems to be the other way around: it's the external mic connection that isn't connected to the board). However if you have some soldering skills this can be fixed with this mod: 

So which mics work for BlueTooth?  Sheppy has mentioned using an external one.  Is it just the Android side that listens to the internal mic?  I'm confused.

Jonathan.

Well, both mics work for bluetooth calls. The difference lies in the fact that the external mic doesn't "communicate" with android in the sense you cannot use the google voice assistant for voice controls (unless you do the mods of my previous posts). The internal mic allows that. So unless you face serious problems with the internal mic (like low voice volume, etc), i see no reason to use the external mic as you will lose functionality.

This what i can conclude from reading the roadnav forums, but my unit hasn't yet arrived. If someone can confirm this, it would be great.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - JonathanLondon - 25:th-May-2016

(25:th-May-2016, 08:34:16)marcus Wrote: I tried the aux in this morning,  it doesn't appear to work anymore with the new head unit. I had a quick look through the menu options again and the aux1 application is the video in feed.

To be honest,  I installed it a while ago so can't really remember a connector to the unit for the aux in. It didn't really help that I swapped out my auxin only dashboard console for a auxin/usb one at the same time as well so I was focusing on the new usb port addition.

Many thanks for trying this.  Looking at the pic of the cable bundle it looks like the original aux-in mini-jack connects to two phono plugs, and the only place I could see them connecting to, was the video-in on the S160, so that all makes sense.

It looks like the Vauxhall socket has an extra wire, to tell the original radio that the socket has a plug in it.  I was wondering whether that connection gets picked up, and tells the S160 to switch input source.  From what you say, it doesn't.

So I am tempted to get one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEN-Flush-Mount-1m-3-5mm-AUX-USB-2RCA-Extension-Lead-Socket-Car-Dash/231734299699 and replace the existing aux-in, and on the other side of the cubby, put in a dual USB power outlet.  Just need to check the space next to the lighter socket is deep enough.

I'm getting a much clearer picture of what I want to do.  Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - sheppy1 - 26:th-May-2016

I didn't even realise these had internal mics...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 26:th-May-2016

(25:th-May-2016, 23:45:33)JonathanLondon Wrote:
(25:th-May-2016, 08:34:16)marcus Wrote: I tried the aux in this morning,  it doesn't appear to work anymore with the new head unit. I had a quick look through the menu options again and the aux1 application is the video in feed.

To be honest,  I installed it a while ago so can't really remember a connector to the unit for the aux in. It didn't really help that I swapped out my auxin only dashboard console for a auxin/usb one at the same time as well so I was focusing on the new usb port addition.

Many thanks for trying this.  Looking at the pic of the cable bundle it looks like the original aux-in mini-jack connects to two phono plugs, and the only place I could see them connecting to, was the video-in on the S160, so that all makes sense.

It looks like the Vauxhall socket has an extra wire, to tell the original radio that the socket has a plug in it.  I was wondering whether that connection gets picked up, and tells the S160 to switch input source.  From what you say, it doesn't.

So I am tempted to get one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEN-Flush-Mount-1m-3-5mm-AUX-USB-2RCA-Extension-Lead-Socket-Car-Dash/231734299699 and replace the existing aux-in, and on the other side of the cubby, put in a dual USB power outlet.  Just need to check the space next to the lighter socket is deep enough.

I'm getting a much clearer picture of what I want to do.  Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan.
That looks good. Should work. Personally I have no use for the aux in anymore as the other options are better imo. I. E. Usb x 2, SD card, mp3s on cd or dvd, Spotify etc. I only use the SD card and Spotify so don't even use the usb ports. Cheers

M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Tonto - 28:th-May-2016

Sometimes my phone (iPhone 6s) doesn't auto connect to the Bluetooth on the head unit. I always have Bluetooth on, does anyone know why this may be?

Also I don't the switch to rift hand drive thing and the Windows still show they open on wrong sides lol!

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 28:th-May-2016

(28:th-May-2016, 07:33:57)Tonto Wrote: Sometimes my phone (iPhone 6s) doesn't auto connect to the Bluetooth on the head unit. I always have Bluetooth on, does anyone know why this may be?

Also I don't the switch to rift hand drive thing and the Windows still show they open on wrong sides lol!

Yeah I have the same thing with my Samsung S6. I find that once you pair it it's fine for a few days but then stops pairing after that.

I haven't found any particular pattern of usage that proceeds the dropped pair. I don't use bluetooth much in the car anyway so could be days before I notice that it is unpaired.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - mrtc - 28:th-May-2016

that would drive me mad

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 28:th-May-2016

Bluetooth drives me mad most of the time anyway. Always a battle. I have Chromecasts throughout the house for that reason.....

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - mrtc - 28:th-May-2016

Do you think this head unit would make a decent base for a decent sound system or would an aftermarket head unit be best. Im not on about a huge install just 4 type r alpine speaker's. A 5 channel amp and a 12 inch subwoofer.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Rymaan82 - 28:th-May-2016

(28:th-May-2016, 07:33:57)Tonto Wrote: Sometimes my phone (iPhone 6s) doesn't auto connect to the Bluetooth on the head unit. I always have Bluetooth on, does anyone know why this may be?

I just checked mine and it's the same. Not sure why I thought it was different. I think my unit had a later firmware release on it end of April release, but have stuck another ROM on mine which its base is mid April. Maybe it's just a bug, as the rear windows on mine are correct just not the front...

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - CraigSRi - 28:th-May-2016

Mine also doesn't connect either wirelessly or via bluetooth unless i manually connect to my iPhone 4s.
Think the only guaranteed way is to connect via USB but that defeats the whole point of it. 
I can't find any setting that might make it auto connect (or disconnect as the case seems to be) at all.

(28:th-May-2016, 15:10:21)mrtc Wrote: Do you think this head unit would make a decent base for a decent sound system or would an aftermarket head unit be best. Im not on about a huge install just 4 type r alpine speaker's. A 5 channel amp and a 12 inch subwoofer.

Yes I think the potential is there for a decent system. I debated for some time if it would be worth buying this system and I'm glad I took the plunge.
At the moment I still haven't hooked up my amp or speakers but the sound is a big improvement even through the factory speakers.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - gazda - 29:th-May-2016

hi guys, did anyone order s160 from this website?

it looks exactly the same, it costs 350 dollars = 240 pounds

http://www.roadnavi.com/product/m072-opel-astra-j-media-satnav-2010-13/

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - sheppy1 - 29:th-May-2016

I'm pretty sure everyone bought it from icebox auto. Roadnav are the official manufacturers or one of the official resellers though I believe. I mean you go to their forums to get the firmware updates etc. So sure they're legit [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - xtech - 29:th-May-2016

(29:th-May-2016, 14:35:19)gazda Wrote: hi guys, did anyone order s160 from this website?

it looks exactly the same, it costs 350 dollars = 240 pounds

http://www.roadnavi.com/product/m072-opel-astra-j-media-satnav-2010-13/

I've ordered mine from icebox too. That site may look cheaper but you'll have to pay customs.

Probably have to pay delivery too on top of all that... May just work out easier to get it from icebox

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - gazda - 29:th-May-2016

probably, i'll order it from icebox, thanks guys

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Thebatfink - 29:th-May-2016

Anyone comment on how readable the screen is in the sunlight when driving? Does it gives good contrast etc.?

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - Pabzyyy - 29:th-May-2016

(29:th-May-2016, 16:33:01)Thebatfink Wrote: Anyone comment on how readable the screen is in the sunlight when driving? Does it gives good contrast etc.?
From personal experience, I don't think it's too great with 'direct' sunlight hitting the screen. But that's a rare occurrence (at least for me, anyways). 90% of the time I have no problems reading what's on the screen in daylight

It's about as a good as a phone screen in sunlight... You can see it and make out what you need to see e.g. Directions on the satnav but you would struggle to read lines of text... Never been an issue in the 6 months or so I've owned mine though

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - marcus - 30:th-May-2016

I can't say that I have had any problems seeing the screen even in broad daylight.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - stigeye - 30:th-May-2016

I would imagine, and I'm not knocking the Chinese, but I would not be surprised if there was slight difference in the quality of some parts or better functionality on some units than on others units. Generally speaking, I am guessing that the general quality of these units is great, you are however going to be supplied with lower end components in comparison to the big boys in the market.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - gazda - 30:th-May-2016

guys, i have one request, can someone please try to install mireo dont panic navigation, just to check compatibility, thanks

(30:th-May-2016, 11:31:10)gazda Wrote: guys, i have one request, can someone please try to install mireo dont panic navigation, just to check compatibility, thanks
I don't see the app in Google store? (Ireland)

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - sheppy1 - 30:th-May-2016

(30:th-May-2016, 11:31:10)gazda Wrote: guys, i have one request, can someone please try to install mireo dont panic navigation, just to check compatibility, thanks
Do you have a play store link to it? I will try for you. I do find that a lot of apps down download right from the play store but if you copy their play store link into this site: https://apkpure.com

You get an apk which does always seem to install... Must bypass some of the version restrictions set by the devs

Update on the bluetooth pairing. I had to pair my phone to the HU again on Wednesday last week. I've probably made 10 or so trips in the car since then and it is still paired. This includes spells where I have used Wifi, gps etc.

no mireo on google store, wtf, i have this link http://www.mireo.hr/en/

thanks again guys

(30:th-May-2016, 11:49:01)marcus Wrote: Update on the bluetooth pairing. I had to pair my phone to the HU again on Wednesday last week. I've probably made 10 or so trips in the car since then and it is still paired. This includes spells where I have used Wifi, gps etc.

Ha yeah mine does this too all the time.. Not sure why! I think it's an incompatibility between newer BT modules in phones and the older ones in the head unit

(30:th-May-2016, 12:06:30)gazda Wrote: no mireo on google store, wtf, i have this link http://www.mireo.hr/en/

thanks again guys
Think I found it..

I'll try and install it tomorrow to test it for you

(30:th-May-2016, 17:05:01)sheppy1 Wrote: I'll try and install it tomorrow to test it for you

thanks mate, i'll buy you a beer

Hehe no need! Happy to help! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Searching for "genius maps" on the plan store or even Google it you get to the app that I believe you're enquiring about. Anyway... Just downloaded it and it works great. Never heard of it myself but downloading the maps for my area now to give it a go. Regardless... Works and accessible via official routes as mentioned above [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

(30:th-May-2016, 18:42:20)sheppy1 Wrote: Hehe no need! Happy to help! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

i checked it out, it is something else, on link below is mireo dont panic

http://www.mireo.hr/en/

Yeah I saw that link but when I click on it, it comes back and says item not found. All Google play stores are not equal.

(30:th-May-2016, 19:07:52)marcus Wrote: Yeah I saw that link but when I click on it, it comes back and says item not found. All Google play stores are not equal.

i have uploaded the file

direct link   http://www.filedropper.com/dontpanic-android-476release

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - ronnie63 - 31:st-May-2016

So does anyone know for sure if the built in mic works? and is there any need to fit the extension one?

Thanks Ronnie

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - sheppy1 - 31:st-May-2016

(31:st-May-2016, 15:41:43)ronnie63 Wrote: So does anyone know for sure if the built in mic works? and is there any need to fit the extension one?

Thanks Ronnie
I don't believe it has one. When I was fiddling with my new mic I did try and make a call without the external one plugged in and no one could hear me

Have emailed Rob from icebox auto to verify

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - ronnie63 - 31:st-May-2016

(31:st-May-2016, 15:41:43)ronnie63 Wrote: So does anyone know for sure if the built in mic works? and is there any need to fit the extension one?

Thanks Ronnie

Thanks Sheppy, I thought as much but handy to know for sure

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - xtech - 31:st-May-2016

Thanks Ronnie

Almost sure it works. My unit arrived yesterday and i'll install it tomorrow, and i'll give you feedback as i won't install the external mic.

RE: M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info - ronnie63 - 1:st-Jun-2016

(31:st-May-2016, 22:55:24)xtech Wrote:

Thanks Ronnie

Almost sure it works. My unit arrived yesterday and i'll install it tomorrow, and i'll give you feedback as i won't install the external mic.

That would be great, will wait to hear from you.

Thanks Ronnie