Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
squeel groan please help urgent engine distressed

URGENT HELP PLEASE: Distressed Engine Squeel/Groan
Hi folks,

Im after some desperate urgent help please.

Our Astra J 2.0 CDTI 2011, has today developed, what I can only describe as, a distressed squeel/groan from the right hand side of the engine. 

It sounds like its coming from around the alternator/cambelt area. 
In addition, im also hearing a faint distant metallic rattle.

Can you please help? 

Its intermittent but in the last few hours and after about a 10 mile drive its gradually gotten slightly louder and more frequent.

My fear is.... water pump.

Car has got 65k on the clock and FSH, but cambelt not been done yet, was on my list to do at Christmas.

Also has the DPF full message today, dont know if its linked or sheer coincidence.

Please can you offer some guidance? 

Thanks,
G.
Could be a pulley or tensioner a idler anything can you get a video at all it may help.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I have a video, but cant get it to upload to YouTube.
Video uploaded....

Please listen to first video around 6 seconds onwards
https://youtu.be/b3W3yVoxBdI

This video is the metallic distant rattle
https://youtu.be/RWL-mWaF7gE
Hi there does sound as if it is coming from the cam belt area and looking at the age of the car it is due just now as it is every 6 years or 100000 which ever is first, could be a pulley tensioner or water pump but to be honest I wouldn't drive it until inspected as you could end up requiring a engine rebuild if it fails completly, does the car start ok in the mornings as another issue with these engines is the crankshaft pulley failing, if you get the timing belt done just remember to get the water pump and pulleys etc done and also ask to get the crankshaft pulley done normally costs about an extra 70 pound as these aren't included in a basic timing belt kit and they are prone to snapping.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Its turned out to be the AC pump. Switched the AC on and the noise was horrendous, switched it off again and the noise went down.

Removed the Aux belt and the noise went away totally.
No problem that will be a bit of a relief lol but would still recommend the cam belt etc to get done soon as it will be due, as I'm getting mine done, I also have the 2.0cdti and its due plus my water pump is making a noise on colder mornings lol.

Well yes, and no. I was actually hoping it was the water pump, as I had budgeted and planned to get that and the Cambelt kit done over Christmas, this is just an extra cost.

Oh well, if it needs doing it needs doing. I was going to fit a smaller belt on it, so as to bypass the AC pump altogether for now, but it wont work, so it will be replaced today with a second hand / recon.
Sorry to hear you having troubles but at least u no what it is. When u said u were going to try a smaller belt. Why didn't it work as that appeared a sound idea ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Apparently the way in which the tensioner swings on this car would not allow for a smaller belt allowing bypass of the AC pulley.
I just got a replacement pump fitted.
If you don't mind how much was a new pump and did you go oem or after market with it?

(23:rd-Nov-2017, 08:38:24)Iaintruten Wrote: No problem that will be a bit of a relief lol but would still recommend the cam belt etc to get done soon as it will be due, as I'm getting mine done,  I also have the 2.0cdti and its due plus my water pump is making a noise on colder mornings lol.

(1:st-Dec-2017, 22:52:03)everson38 Wrote: If you don't mind how much was a new pump and did you go oem or after market with it?

New one from ECP was over £250, so I just went for a used second hand one. Cost me £200 supplied and fitted by my local mechanic, including and AC recharge.
I’ve got the exact same problem, car started making weird sounds and I’ve had the water pump replaced already. Took it to the garage today to find out that my AC Pump needs replacing. Entered my REG on Eurocarparts, I’ve only got one pump / compressor available and it’s £615. Definitely won’t be buying that one, managed to get one for next day delivery for roughly £348 and £70 to get it fitted when it arrives. Vauxhall quoted me £600 something plus VAT and on top of that a £66 charge until I hand in my old compressor.
(29:th-Jan-2018, 12:14:08)Imrana170 Wrote: I’ve got the exact same problem, car started making weird sounds and I’ve had the water pump replaced already. Took it to the garage today to find out that my AC Pump needs replacing. Entered my REG on Eurocarparts, I’ve only got one pump / compressor available and it’s £615. Definitely won’t be buying that one, managed to get one for next day delivery for roughly £348 and £70 to get it fitted when it arrives. Vauxhall quoted me £600 something plus VAT and on top of that a £66 charge until I hand in my old compressor.

Strange isnt it, until I had the problem, I saw no other mention of this on any posts. 

I got a second hand one in the end, just couldnt afford to fork out for a brand new one. Hope you get sorted soon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine oil level low ,Add oil Rocky33 0 1,610 14:th-Apr-2021, 12:56:53
Last Post: Rocky33
  Intermittent low loss of engine power Mark72 2 6,299 28:th-Dec-2019, 13:59:37
Last Post: Mark72
  Urgent help required. seosamh1968 3 2,853 18:th-Oct-2018, 11:50:26
Last Post: seosamh1968
  Cold engine idle Lee 4 10,793 15:th-Aug-2018, 19:09:17
Last Post: Lee
  Astra J 1.7 81kw engine power guitz 1 12,301 8:th-Jul-2018, 10:39:46
Last Post: Rusty2009