Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
replacements door handle

Door Handle Replacements
Hi all,

Does anyone know how easy it is to replace the door handles on the J? Also with regards to the section that has the lock on it for the key, can I swap mine over from my current lock?

Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

you would need a new lock from the dealers if it has broken if that is what you mean
rusty may help with changing it but its a door card off job
and then just unbolts from inside the door as far as i know
Arrghhh I hate taking the door cards off! Ha. Basically I've been after the door handles with the chrome trim on them from the elite for like a year and have just found a fill set in my colour!

Yeah you were right mate, managed to piece together the info from the VX manuals online...it's door card off, remove water protector (weird clear pocket thing behind the door card) and then finally remove door handle job. I did the door card stuff last year and vowed never to do it again as it took an age, I broke half the clips, it rained and I had to abandon the work for a day as I don't have a garage and was generally a huge ball ache!

Now I have those door pocket LEDs too so those would have to be unwired as-well! Eurrrghhh! Ha

When I do the door pocket lights I'm going to use a connector so it can be removed with ease :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I was thinking to go ahead and do the exact same thing mate! Ha. Also I asked the seller and turns out for the door handles it's a simple job of opening the door and locating the rubber plugs on the frame (see photo)

Removing the plug and then you'll see a torx screw.

Apparently if you remove that then you'll be able to take the handle right off!

I have bought the handles anyway (can't believe I found a full set for the technical grey model I have) for £50 on ebay. I'll do a tutorial when they come

I'm still hunting full carbon flash as I don't like the chrome

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(15:th-Nov-2015, 20:34:50)Rusty2009 Wrote: When I do the door pocket lights I'm going to use a connector so it can be removed with ease :-)

this is the best option as above then if you have to remove the door card for any reason
it is easily done.
(15:th-Nov-2015, 20:53:22)Rusty2009 Wrote: I'm still hunting full carbon flash as I don't like the chrome

Awwww no way! Could have had mine if you had a grey car as I'll be getting rid of the full set when these new ones come! Hope the lock bit swaps over easily!!

Yeah seller said the lock bit just pops out can't wait to get these installed! They're actually from an insignia but apparently fit the J just fine.

Depending on price I might buy yours then mate and paint them up
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cool! I'll PM you with a price and you can decide if you want them or not

This is a weird piece of work! I start to unscrew that screw and all seems to be going okay (I can see there are two small plastic tabs in front of the screw though) so eventually I hear a snapping noise and that first piece of plastic falls into the shell of the car! Odd... But then I can remove the small part of door handle..

At this point the main door handle no longer budged and I worry the spring is broke....i also have to abandon the work as it's raining! so I start to screw the screw back in again, handle still doesn't work... I keep going and going and eventually I hear another snap! And then another bit of plastic falls into the shell of the car! Then the handle starts working again!

So it's almost as though it's designed that way and designed to snap... What do you guys think?

Could it be something to determined if a car have had someone try to break in and they snap in that incident?

Could be! Not sure but as I say it seems to be designed that way... No way I can tell of getting the screw out without those snapping as they literally sit above and below the screw and unscrewing it pulls the screw out obviously which then snaps those tabs... Odd

Very odd, did you get any photos?

only the photos you can see on the post above...now i undid the screw though, that whole backwards C shape piece of plastic surrounding the screw is no longer there.

Also here's an oddity...when I undo the screw to the point where I'm able to pull the smaller piece of plastic out that makes up the door handle, I am then no longer able to pull the door handle...it's sort of locked tight agains the car! Only when I put that small part of the handle back and retighten the screw am I then able to pull the handle again...defo appears to be a security feature.

I have asked the seller how I actually go about remove the main handle as they said it was easy! Ha.

Very strange but my guess would be a security feature. I was going to replace one of my handles as it's got 3 stone chips in it but I may just use the touch up pen instead of this hassle lol.

RUSTY have you got any info on changing the handles mate
i thought there were 2 screws also on the main handle
as well as the one on the side
Ahhhh I just got detailed instructions off the seller! It does seem to be easy but I needed to pull the handle as though I was opening the car while undoing the screw! Then it pulls right out! I'll try later and report back

Ah that makes sense haha, yeah definitely let us know how you get on mate

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ast...placement/

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
cheers mate that should help him out a lot.
only just seen these rusty! Thanks anyway but a quick update from the seller helped me and it's sorted and I've done a tut

Cool a how too is needed for that also add the links into it that rusty posted well done
Will do mate when I'm at my PC

(20:th-Nov-2015, 13:28:49)Tonto Wrote: Ah that makes sense haha, yeah definitely let us know how you get on mate

It was easy once I knew the method made a tutorial for it on here, defo go for it! Worth doing as door handles are cheap on ebay too

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vxr bumper on 5 door Astra j Sh4rk2007 10 8,090 6:th-Jun-2021, 18:25:04
Last Post: jeniferbitcoin71
  Diesel door wont opel Arkanggel10 2 1,468 13:th-May-2021, 15:31:33
Last Post: Arkanggel10
  VXR Seat (not the handle) Bigsmokeuk 1 1,846 12:th-Feb-2021, 11:16:57
Last Post: killboy
  door drain grommets bigbadkes 2 2,081 28:th-Aug-2020, 19:45:49
Last Post: niteram