Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
window led colour switch change

Window switch LED colour change

For any member wanting to change the LED colour in the window switch

Tools required
T20 torx driver
Small flat head
As required 10 x 0805 Blue LED (SMD) - Ultra Bright - UK - 1st Class Post | eBay]805 smd LED One led in both rear and passengers switches. Drivers 2 leds(front elec only) or 5 leds(front & rear elec windows)
Fine tipped soldering iron

3 door owners need to follow all steps but 5 door owners can miss out steps 1-4

Remove the black insert carefully, the ends move inwards as there' a right clip on each end

Showing the various clips on the black insert

Undo the one T20 screw holding the window switch in

Carefully raise the front edge of the switch through this hole

Once front edge is raised slide forward

Then raise the rear edge slide the switch backwards to release from behind the handle

Disconnect the Elec connector by pushing the little tab

To separate the switch from the housing unclip qty 4 clips

The 2 parts separated( at this point you could follow Cameron how-to and wrap the cover)

To gain access to the LED PCB unclip qty 6 clips

The 2 parts separated

Picture of LED to be changed(passengers side)

LED's for front drivers switch for all 4 elec windows

LED changed I've marked the power connections for testing purposes prior to rebuild

Testing after LED change(Drivers side front elec windows only)

Switch rebuilt( in reverse order)

Refitted back into car

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks mate I take it it's one LED per switch?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Thanks mate I take it it's one LED per switch?

Yes mate, the how to was done for my GTC which is only elec front windows
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
isn't it one for the left and two for the right switch ?

very well done again i like this alot
going to make this a little project for the summer
Yes mate one led per window toggle switch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Do the led,s de solderer from the front of the circuit board BAZ
Yes mate all leds on the J are surface mounted

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Just to avoid any confusion here's the number of LED's for different elec window combinations:-
front elec windows only 2 LED's for the drivers side and 1 LED for the passengers side.
Front and rear elec windows you'll need 1 LED for passengers door and 1 for each rear door and I'm guessing you'll need 5 LED's for the drivers door.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Baz I'll confirm the number on drivers door once I get the LEDs don't how quick the guy is at sending them out.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Baz I'll confirm the number on drivers door once I get the LEDs don't how quick the guy is at sending them out.

I usually get the LED's within 3-4 days
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cool not to bad then,

when you say fine tip how fine?

These are what I have.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Looking at your pic I'd say the best would be 4th from left as you don't want a large heat area or too a small heat area
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Baz on the 5 door you don't have to remove the trim and undo screws to remove the window switches they just pull up and out the rear are a little bit more of a pain but if you want to update your first and link to this how to I did.

Also there are 6 led on the full elec window switches. 5 for lighting the buttons and one for when the rear windows are locked/unlocked this is amber.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks to all the info provided by Baz I've done window switches.

The front switches are meant to be orange but they look more of light red so I'm going to change them.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Can you link me up for the right Smds, the sharpie started to rub off lmao
There listed in post 1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cornishtaz Wrote:There listed in post 1

Stupid me lol, I got an a* gcse electronics and I'm gonna ask a real stupid question

Does the polarity matter of Smds?? Positive and negative??

If it does, how do you test them before putting them back in the car
Yes they are polarity sensitive. From the top of my head they have a green mark donating -ve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cornishtaz Wrote:Yes they are polarity sensitive. From the top of my head they have a green mark donating -ve

Yes Baz that's right, Cam I just used a 9V battery and hooked up to the pins to make sure they worked (Don't put it on the SMD as you will blow it.)
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Rusty2009 Wrote:Yes Baz that's right, Cam I just used a 9V battery and hooked up to the pins to make sure they worked (Don't put it on the SMD as you will blow it.)

Ok so attach my multi meter or 9v battery to the pins not the SMD, thanks, all ordered
cornishtaz Wrote:Yes they are polarity sensitive. From the top of my head they have a green mark donating -ve

Got these in today, your pictures were a great help, can't wait to see them in the dark
I'm gonna do my light switches to the right of the steering wheel, which is positive and negative??? Pictures would be good to show, thanks
Cam on light switch I found they change round.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Rusty2009 Wrote:Cam on light switch I found they change round.

When you get a min can you post a diagram of where the green line goes, that would be great!!!!!
Cameron UK Wrote:When you get a min can you post a diagram of where the green line goes, that would be great!!!!!

Of the top of my head without opening up my switch it should be like this let me know if there is any wrong

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Rusty2009 Wrote:Of the top of my head without opening up my switch it should be like this let me know if there is any wrong

Thanks for that, I might just wait until someone can confirm 100% lol, I understand it might take some time
Cam just do them one by one if you have a 9v bat you test they work before you solder them on (you might have to push down)

Pin 6 = neg
Pin 7 = pos
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Rusty2009 Wrote:Cam just do them one by one if you have a 9v bat you test they work before you solder them on (you might have to push down)

Pin 6 = neg
Pin 7 = pos

Good idea, waiting for a new batch which should arrive Thursday then I'll do a how to
Here is a comparison against a 5p, i would only reccomend doing these conversions if you have GOOD experience of soldering as its a bit tricky, if you dont want to risk it look here: http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Forum-Cornishtaz-Baz
(good pictures for a phone (samsung galaxy s4))

Are these the same leds that are used in the wing mirror switch? Do we have a complete list for all LEDs needed for a full conversion too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLCC-2 for the mirror switch IIRC off the top of my head mate
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ok thanks Rusty,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can sort a complete list later with type and number required for each type of panel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hi im a   can anyone post the info and possibly a diagram off the headlight switch unit and what led/smds are needed. i have all smds to do the rest off the conversion just not this section as i cant find any info thanks
Head light switch uses 0805 LED's and they all very depending on switch as to which way the led's are.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
hello i am looking for a bit of help i have followed the how to that was so helpfull but i am having issues with the mirror switch i removed the led but i cant get the new ones to work is there a way to find out what way the led goes its the plecc 2 with the corner cut away
Off the top of my head the left side neg goes up and the right side down. (this is with the pins being at the bottom)
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
thanks rusty i will give it another go do you happen to know if there is a list of what smd i will need for the astra gtc things like the light switch etc i cant seem to find anyone that sells the side load plcc 2 sideled
0805's and PLCC-2 LEDs there are more 0805's than plcc-2. for side leds turn normal plcc-2 on their side.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
thanks again rusty appreciated
@Jinkie I found this on my camera roll last night so thought I'd upload it for you.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks thats it sorted i had the smd in the same way cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change of LED color in Speedometer A20DTH 76 51,039 21:st-Jan-2019, 18:16:18
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How-To GID Colour change umognog 7 8,188 18:th-Feb-2018, 08:58:05
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Various switch LED conversion cornishtaz 15 18,043 6:th-May-2016, 21:05:01
Last Post: cornishtaz
  Gear surround LED colour change cornishtaz 24 20,858 24:th-Jan-2016, 22:24:30
Last Post: cornishtaz
  Steering wheel Switch Conversion Rusty2009 1 11,025 27:th-Jul-2015, 10:09:53
Last Post: tucpal

Who read this thread?
5 User(s) read this thread:
milozic (14:th-May-2023, 08:55:09), greg848484 (11:th-Jun-2023, 18:59:21), exhippykev (27:th-Jun-2023, 21:05:59), opelmed (28:th-Sep-2023, 15:52:41), Triggertigger (18:th-Apr-2024, 13:05:51)