VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: Progress Thread: Sheppy1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Nothing ha. I was just driving home and not even on the motorway this time and heard the crack noise and there it was! This one ain't in drivers line of sight so maybe fixable rather than having to get a new one

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Wow that's crazy, surely the people who supplied it will have it under guarantee still as that's happened rather fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have a word with them and tell them that my other one had all sorts of stones hit my other one before it finally broke (not a lie). On another note I've got my new DRL caps and vauxhall have changed the design (thank god)

Old

[Image: 98ab0e7f35b6b77d8a8fa61b73631f6b.jpg]

New

[Image: 34decdc5f4faa7348b124563522a3079.jpg]

Fingers crossed then mate! Ah they look much simpler!!

Indeed! However it's still fiddly to get to the turning grips with all the stuff in the way under the engine bay!

Rang auto glass too and told them the windscreen is rubbish quality and my other was better so I think that's why it cracked so easily. They're coming to inspect some time soon to see if they will cover it under warranty

i had a cheap replacement on my smart fortwo, it started to rattle then it cracked, so anoying, had to pay another 130 quid to replace it, used a local lil company
(13:th-Apr-2016, 16:34:41)Tonto Wrote: [ -> ]Another?? What you doing to your car mate??

He can't blame the snow lol

(13:th-Apr-2016, 18:20:21)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]
(13:th-Apr-2016, 16:34:41)Tonto Wrote: [ -> ]Another?? What you doing to your car mate??

He can't blame the snow lol

nope no excuse!
*cough* ******* *cough* hahaha

Anyway I bought one of these too [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

[Image: 948a87738804f4ef8ce2ae5de680780e.jpg]

I kicked off with auto glass anyway and told them I want a new replacement windscreen and I want it to he the OEM GM/Pilkington one. They have put that in their system and said they will ring me next week with a time and date for when they can have it ordered and installed etc.

Are they doing it FOC?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Not that i know of... But I'll see when they come and inspect as they should have fit the OEM screen in the first place!

(14:th-Apr-2016, 16:35:44)sheppy1 Wrote: [ -> ]Not that i know of... But I'll see when they come and inspect as they should have fit the OEM screen in the first place!

Why should it have had a OEM screen fitted in the first place? Nothing in your docs will say you are entitled to like for like on branded - they're all OEM quality.

if you look at the crack on your screen now can you see ANY impact point at all? or is it a complete line to the edge of the glass? If there is no impact point at all then it is a stress crack and will be covered under warranty. If there IS an impact point then it is not covered under warranty as something has hit it.

I'm telling you this as fact as you know I used to work for Autoglass so I know the exact process and you certainly are not automatically supposed to be given an OEM glass, it's down to the insurer and 99.9% of them will authorise an OEM quality (What make does it say on the stamp on the glass you have now? FY? Safeguard?)
(14:th-Apr-2016, 17:50:12)Jj0063 Wrote: [ -> ]
(14:th-Apr-2016, 16:35:44)sheppy1 Wrote: [ -> ]Not that i know of... But I'll see when they come and inspect as they should have fit the OEM screen in the first place!

Why should it have had a OEM screen fitted in the first place? Nothing in your docs will say you are entitled to like for like on branded - they're all OEM quality.

if you look at the crack on your screen now can you see ANY impact point at all? or is it a complete line to the edge of the glass? If there is no impact point at all then it is a stress crack and will be covered under warranty. If there IS an impact point then it is not covered under warranty as something has hit it.

I'm telling you this as fact as you know I used to work for Autoglass so I know the exact process and you certainly are not automatically supposed to be given an OEM glass, it's down to the insurer and 99.9% of them will authorise an OEM quality (What make does it say on the stamp on the glass you have now? FY? Safeguard?)
Hey mate,

It is actually an impact chip yes... Totally not down to their workmanship but I just thought the quality of the glass was subpar compared to the GM one.

They did actually tell me on the phone that I would receive a like for like screen exactly the same as what was there before... Their words! They even said on the phone today that they would try and get it authorised so I could get an OEM one.

And I'll take a look and report back [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

thing is, autoglass charge the insurance companies a fortune, they should be supplying oem like for like, i bet when they negotiated the deal with the insurance companies they would have guarenteed to do so
More than likely! Proper robbing gits! Main thing I'm annoyed about is when I spoke to them on the phone originally when I got this windscreen they refused to let me have the type of windscreen I wanted (one that would allow me to buy the plastic housing to hide the retrofitted anti dazzle mirror) claiming that they only replaced it for EXACTLY what I had at the time. They stressed this so much no matter who I argued with... Then they go and replace with a different brand... Yeah.. Like for like.. Right..

Grrrr garage who was supposed to be coming to tidy up the wiring job I did on the heated seat connector never came either and he was supposed to be looking at my engine noise! Had to book in to VX for that but still no one to do my wiring fix job [PENSIVE FACE]

If they upgrade the glass to different spec its fraud.

Replacing the screen like for like albeit a different brand of glass is not fraud.
Not fraud in their books but it is to me...Just because someone says something isn't fraud doesn't make it true Smile if they wanna claim they will only replace "like for like" then that should mean "like for like" not just replace it for whatever suits them
You're missing the point Sheppy.

If you have a standard mirror boss glass, it costs X amount. You call in and say you want one with a different mount it costs Y amount which gets billed to the insurance company. Autoglass don't charge for fitting - it's literally the cost of the glass they supply to the insurance company.

You saying that they've not fitted like for like is incorrect. They've fitted a piece of glass with the same mount which is classed as a like for like replacement. All windscreen glass is of the same quality as it is tested to the same levels and standards - there's no difference, it is up to 30% of the vehicle structure and your airbag won't function correctly with weaker glass.

I see what you're saying in that the glass is not GM stamped but the difference is literally the GM logo in the corner.

I'm not defending Autoglass as I didn't like the company when I worked for them & I have nearly 5 years experience in the insurance trade so I know exactly what I'm talking about here I promise you Smile
Hmmmm will wait and see what they say! If you're claiming they're the same as GM ones then I believe you... They just feel cheap.

Anyone know if I'm okay to cut the bend off the exhaust pipe I have? My tip came today but will require the exhaust pipe to be straight to secure the tip to it.

why dont you go to powerflow exhaust and make a custom on up like the opel astra j opc twin exhaust
Would love too but don't have much spare cash atm... This tip cost me 20 quid... How much is that custom exhaust? Ha

I would say it wouldn't be a problem as long as you are not cutting off all right at the back where the tip meets silencer.

if its the kind I'm thinking off you need a bit to tighten it on too.
Ahhh brill! And no I wouldn't be. I'd just cut off a few inches to where the curve levels out to be straight. How would it need to be tightened? They give you some bolts with it but not sure how they would hold it on tbh

I can only think of 3 options

1. The ones my dad used get it was tightened on by a jubilee clip or
2. 3 threaded bolt holes and tighten them onto the piece of pipe left
3. get it welded on.

Couldn't really think of anything else without seeing the pipe or do they just give you some bolts and let you think of how to do it?
Yeah it's like number 2 but only has two bolts and holes to secure it to the factory exhaust...will get some pics soon Smile looks good though and looks like if i trim a semi oval in the rear diffuser plastic then it would sit like the factory one would
Nice looking forward to see it.
Here it is

[Image: c0c208d7a161d45a643ca294b19ec34b.jpg]

[Image: a17a27bd0a387fc28ea161711cf2ca9a.jpg]

[Image: 082781fe3f53c41b5b4ab40654959e9d.jpg]

Also got my Astra J UK sticker on too [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] ha

[Image: 92c995d2c2ea522647954289664b988d.jpg]

[Image: b0dfd356162dc269c09fd7dfc63fb493.jpg]

Do you need to cut your exhaust at all? Can't it slide over the top of your pipe?

astra j uk?
(18:th-Apr-2016, 20:36:30)bhalay207 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you need to cut your exhaust at all? Can't it slide over the top of your pipe?

It slides on just fine but because the tail pipe points down it just doesn't work... It needs to go on a straight pipe.

And @mrtc it's just a sticker a lot of people on the Astra Facebook page have [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ok lol
Example pics of what I mean

[Image: 1fe40a35907fbe8ba5422b76b5a148d7.jpg]

The tail pipe curves down so won't slide info the exhaust tip.. Would need to have a straight tail pipe then it would be fine

[Image: 39919d133e4eae089b8f1a57dcf54a91.jpg]

It looks like it would slide through it but I guess that would be an ideal world

I would have thought that it is this type that you needed...

[Image: 690f18b2109f9e9e0f43940410e2c71b.png]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-STEEL-DROP-D...0910240915
(18:th-Apr-2016, 20:55:01)bhalay207 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like it would slide through it but I guess that would be an ideal world

Ha yeah looks like it but I've tried and it just doesn't due to the curve of the exhaust pipe being different to that of the tip.

And @stigeye yeah that would work I reckon but would be the kind to sit quite low under the bumper. I'm hoping the type I have will allow me to fit it like the factory one [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I would have thought so as most of the downward turn diesel tailpipes seem to be very similar in the arc and length, so as long as the diameter is correct it should fit :-)
(18:th-Apr-2016, 22:02:27)stigeye Wrote: [ -> ]I would have thought so as most of the downward turn diesel tailpipes seem to be very similar in the arc and length, so as long as the diameter is correct it should fit :-)
Do you think the diameter is the same all along the pipe? I mean when I cut the curved part off will the straight part be the same diameter?

If you are cutting the curve off the VX exhaust surely you will need a straight through tail pipe trim? You would then need a valance with the tailpipe cutout, unless you cut out the tailpipe hole yourself.

[Image: 9532a4191d0562c3eebe37d8965b035d.png]

The tailpipe trim that I posted should come out directly under your bumper, without the need for cutting your exhaust.

[Image: bf2a1a7a2771f157115ad2ff81cc3e2e.png]
At this rate mate you may aswell get the 2.0 back box... Assuming it would fit.

It will look nice once its fitted quit similar to the one on my car looks like you might need to do a little bit of cutting on the bumper to do as well.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of it fitted.
Yeah I expect to have to chop a bit of the bumper off to have it sit like the factory one does Smile

Will get the metal saw from my gran this week and see if I get chance to sort it at the weekend!

@stigeye yeah I will cut the bumper as I want it like the factory one Smile

@bhalay207 I looked into that and it would cost me around £120ish maybe more to get one and have it fitted. This tip I got was less than £20 lol
SO YOU WILL BE WANTING TO DO THIS THEN HAHA

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Exposed-exhaust
The tip I posted above looks the same as the one fitted to your old astra tucpal.
Looks a bit different but get it tack welded
Right! Thanks chaps [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] will see how it comes cutting the curved bit off etc. And if needs be I'll get it welded on.

There bits came today too,

Foot rest chrome plate thing:

[Image: ad610517967c7b788a3bd46c3f7fa452.jpg]

Rubber key cover [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

[Image: 96ae9b875d750e12b1086fe8ad4eef65.jpg]

[Image: 1b93c74a2b04c00c75c4c5a94a1614f2.jpg]

[Image: 45799a9345deb13573650e1b771530d8.jpg]

Got myself a nice new victorinox mini champ pen knife too to replace my older smaller one [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

[Image: c0f8d02c324b21b7ce2d90bbbd0bb7c0.jpg]

how you getting on with the rest pedal
Not sure yet mate! Ha. I fit the thing and haven't been back in the car since... Will report back soon though [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Minor win... Autiglass via admiral have finally got my GM branded windscreen and are coming to fit it next week.. Strange how apparently they're all the same yet they offer the option to get a branded one if you kick off... Hmmmm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36