Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
lowering springs gtc hi strut astra fitting per

Astra GTC Hi-Per Strut lowering springs fitting

A quick how-to for fitting lowering springs to a GTC/VXR. These cars are fitted with the same suspension set-up as the Insignia VXR known as the Hi-Per Strut

Tools required

Trolley jack
Axle stand
E20 socket
T30, T40, T50 torx
8mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 24mm, 32mm sockets, through socket is best for the strut upper mount fixing
Locking wheel nut key
18mm, 21mm spanner
Hub puller
Ratchet
Breaker bar
Soft face hammer
Torque wrench
Spring Compressors

You'll need the following new bolts and nuts

Qty 2 13217120 Hub nuts
Qty 4 11609282 Tie rod/Droplink nuts
Qty 2 13258478 Lower Control Arm Bolt
Qty 2 11516382 Lower Control Arm Nut
Qty 2 11589281 Shock Pinch Bolt (If changing Shock absorber)
Qty 2 11516078 Shock Pinch Bolt Nut (If changing Shock absorber)
Qty 4 11562022(321mm disc) 13331028(355mm disc) Caliper bracket bolts

Remove the wheel centre cap and hub nut cover.
Using a breaker bar and a 32mm socket loosen off the hub nut, it's easier to do it with the car still on the ground make sure handbrake is on and place in gear to help prevent the hub rotating.
Loosen off the wheel nuts.

Jack up the vehicle on the chassis box section

Support the vehicle under the front chassis rail so not to interfere with the lower control arm. Remove the wheel, you can then remove the trolley jack

Unclip the brake hose from these brackets

Remove the the electrical connector from the suspension leg, then disconnect the electrical connectors by twisting the black housing and pulling out the connectors

Undo the caliper to hub bolts using a E20 socket and remove the caliper complete and either support it with heavy duty wire or place it on the floor as not to stress the brake hose.

Remove the Disc screw T30 screw and remove the disc

Remove the hub nut with 32mm socket

Remove the drop link by using a 18mm socket/spanner and T40 socket. Using the trolley jack support the strut weight enough to allow the droplink to be removed from the strut

Using 18mm socket/spanner and 8mmspanner/socket remove the Tierod nut, then using a soft face hammer tap out the ball joint

Using 21mm socket and 21mm spanner remove the lower control arm bolt and nut, caution should be taken as when the bolt is fully removed the control arm will drop

Remove the outer most plastic clip holding the scuttle panel down. Then using a 24mm spanner and T50 socket loosen off the strut upper mount, it might help if you supported the strut with the trolley jack

Hi-per strut removed

Comparison between standard and lowering springs

Crack off the upper strut bearing nut using 24mm spanner and T50 socket. Using spring compressors compress the old spring to enable the removal of the upper strut bearing. Swap everything over and rebuild everything in reverse order of above using new bolts and nuts as listed above.

If your changing the shock remove the single pinch bolt and nut that holds the brake pipe/electrical connector bracket then slide the chock out from the rest of the strut

The torque settings are as follows

Shock pinch bolt/nut 70Nm (52 lbft)
Strut shaft nut 70Nm (52 lbft)
Upper strut mount nut 45Nm (33 lbft)
Lower control arm bolt/nut 115Nm (85lbft) then 120°-135°)
Tie rod nut 35Nm (26 lbft) then 30°
Hub nut 150Nm (111 lbft) loosen by 45° then retighten to 250Nm (185 lbft)
Drop link nut 65Nm (48 lbft)
Disc screw 9Nm (7 lbft)
Caliper bolts 150Nm (111 lbft) then 45-60°
Wheel nuts 140Nm (103 lb ft)

Front springs fitted

Hope this helps any other GTC/VXR owner. I'm happy to help out seeing as I've now completed it myself

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
real good wright up baz
and i take it the vixer is now much lower :cool
tucpal Wrote:real good wright up baz
and i take it the vixer is now much lower :cool

Sitting approx 15mm lower but it starts off 10mm lower than a standard GTC will sort some full car pics out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
nice i am going to lower my car at last very soon as i want that look
i said this would never happen but i have come around to the idea
Nice one Baz another great how-to added.

Have you had any issues with the auto leveling?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
No probs with leveling as front and rear have both dropped by 15mm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Was the hub puller really required for this? Going to fit lowering spring to my 2.0cdti GTC on sunday so just trying to make sure i have all the right tools before starting

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I also purchased some hub washers for the front driveshaft from Vauxhall, part number is 11548721 and were 1.83 each. They have been known to cause abs sensor issues after the hub has been removed. These washers can be seen in the video at 2min 50secs when he removes the hub.

right guys i going to ask a silly question is there anything holding the top of the strut in place as im going to lower my sports tourer as the last owner put standard springs in bloody cheapstake its a 2.0 cdti sri
Having terrible trouble removing driver side hub nut. Is there a chance I'm trying to turn it the wrong way.,is it opposite screw from passenger side. Stuck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Stop brake Squeal, Astra J. tucpal 11 24,480 8:th-Mar-2021, 12:19:30
Last Post: h4r7y
  How-to fit rear lowering springs to a GTC cornishtaz 5 9,139 27:th-Jun-2016, 12:57:46
Last Post: travec19
  HOW TO TOP UP AIR CON.. ASTRA J tucpal 10 21,020 7:th-May-2016, 16:41:29
Last Post: Roden

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
iNeoTom (28:th-Feb-2024, 09:04:55)