Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a has j failure got my warning system? selective astra bulb

Has my Astra-J got a selective bulb failure warning system?
My Astra-J is a 2013 (63 plate) Elite model.

It seems very selective on telling me what bulbs have failed.

It has previously let me know I had a failed number plate light, DRL, dipped beam, and a brake light (no, not all at the same time )

However, it didn't inform me that I had a failed tail light bulb (one of the two pairs in the hatch), or more recently a high beam bulb.

Yes, I know you can't beat visually checking for yourself, but the bulb failure system on my old Vectra-C Elite was absolutely brilliant. Not only did it monitor EVERY exterior bulb, it also told you exactly which one had blown by putting a picture of the car on the stereo screen and saying that it was the LH brake light, RH front side light, etc. The Astra-J just says, brake light failed, but not telling you which one. Typical Vauxhall and their cost cutting measures.

Not having driven the Astra in darkness for over 6 months now until last Saturday evening (due to various lockdowns) I've no idea when the offside high beam bulb had failed. I initially thought that I couldn't remember the lights being this bad. It was only when I got out and looked that I had realised the OS headlight bulb was out.

So, are all Astra-J's with the bulb failure system like this, (i.e. very selective) or has mine got a fault?
I could be wrong but I think only the important bulbs are are the can for error reporting. I know mine reported rear taillight out. Not sure main beam is on the error reporting list.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
Thanks.

Somehow I can't see how a failed number plate bulb is deemed more important than some of the other bulbs, but then again I've given up trying to understand Vauxhall's logic on some things

It must only report the outer tail lights in the clusters on the rear wings, and not the ones in the hatch/tailgate.
I think number plate bulbs are included as they are a legal requirement
I've just looked in the handbook, and I'm guessing the list for failed bulbs in the basic mid-level display (that just gives you a code number, eg "18 Left low beam failure") uses the same list if you have the Up level display or up level combi display. No mention of high beam bulbs in the list.

I would have thought high beam would have been a legal requirement too. It can be used as a visual warning of your presence for example, as well as failing an MOT if they don't work.
I don't know if high beam is a legal requirement, I know if it's fitted like most things it has to work.

As you said earlier, who knows lol
Would have been far simpler just to have included all the bulbs, like it did on my old Vectra-C.

Damn technology
Yes Cambus on the J doesn't check all bulbs. Annoyingly mine tells me to check brake lights, but not which after I've replaced the bulbs with LED brake bulbs.  

In the important threads section there is a thread that lists the Js Cambus check list.
Phlyer Phil
------------------------
Head In The Clouds
Mind In The Gutter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  astra drl fuse or relays?? steveh 1 4,316 27:th-Jun-2021, 18:41:11
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Changing DRLs on 2015 Astra J GTC VXR SGR32 3 5,050 22:nd-Feb-2021, 07:56:26
Last Post: Rusty2009
Astra J LED DRL Headlights Question Baz22 2 5,730 19:th-Oct-2020, 14:27:04
Last Post: Baz22
  Astra j no indicator lights? Any help pls Winston 1 6,858 29:th-Mar-2020, 09:43:57
  Astra J 2012 5 door HEADLIGHT + SIDELIGHT BULBS LukeAstra15 17 14,686 7:th-Oct-2017, 08:02:02
Last Post: umognog
  Bulbs and lighting upgrades for Astra J and GTC - complete list for reference Rusty2009 71 71,677 25:th-Sep-2017, 07:23:38
  AFL basic problem (bulb not working) AlanMac 2 6,571 28:th-Aug-2017, 09:17:58
Last Post: AlanMac
  Astra j elite 1.7 beam light not work with fog light on caretaker 5 8,595 16:th-Apr-2017, 14:39:01
Last Post: caretaker
  problem Headlights Astra J bosto 2 4,943 1:st-Mar-2017, 11:59:30
Last Post: bosto
  Astra j fog light Schema insurance Kado1111 0 4,031 8:th-Nov-2016, 23:25:39
Last Post: Kado1111

Who read this thread?
2 User(s) read this thread:
Rusty2009 (21:st-Dec-2023, 08:29:09), greg848484 (15:th-Jun-2023, 19:27:59)