Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
noise brake

Brake noise
Having a tidy of the garage as it needs it as I need the work bench again now it's getting summer time.

But pushed the car back so the wife could tidy her garden cupboard, and it sounds like the brakes are still on on the rear, I double checked and the hand brake is fully off, also I notice I can see where the brake has been on as it there is a clear mark left on the brake disc.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Was the car wet when you put it away? I get this sometimes with mine if I was the car and don't drive it till the following day the brakes feel like they take a second longer to release. As I usually have to get out the car afterwards to shut the gates you can see an outline of the pad.
No mate the car was bone dry when I put it away, I know what you mean when it's been wet though I have a car repair shop right round the conner and they look every-time as it sounds more like metal or metal.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
How thick are the pads on the rear? Is it possible the wear indicator has been knocked and bent so it's coming in contact with the disc's sooner than it should?
plenty of meat on them.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
is there a chance that a stone has got stuck between the calliper and disc? I know on my old GTE I had one that managed to get stuck between the guard and the disc.
I'll have a look later.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I had the pads off at the today and no noise at all put the pads back and the noise was back I removed the pads and again and gave the disc a good spray with some disc cleaner put the pads back in and the noise is still there, the pads are fine.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
That is a weird one.

Could it be worth sanding the surface of the pad a little. Not sure how true or if it's even required but I was always advised to roughen the surface of the pads with some sandpaper to make sure they haven't glazed up before fitting them.
I'll give it try a tomorrow.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I had a sound like that last March, while you were driving along the noise would start. It was one of those noises that you thought everyone would be looking at you as you passed by, deafning it was. Put the car in and they removed all the rear pads and greased up all that needed it, sound gone! There was and still is pleanty of meat on the pads. Thought that they wern't sliding on the pins and not being flat to the disks may have been the problem. But I have never had it since, I shelled out £70 for that. Weather at the time was to bad for me to be mucking around outside on the drive, but it was worth it in the end as it seems to have cured it.
This is the view most seen by others
Spoke with my mechanic today he said to take it for a run down the daul carriage way and brake all the way all way down from 70mph, which I've done and the problem is gone.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Chirping noise Zaf312 0 32 Yesterday, 10:48:45
Last Post: Zaf312
  High pitched noise (Astra OPC J) maximame 0 4,514 24:th-Mar-2021, 08:34:13
Last Post: maximame
  Electrik brake noise!! blacknik 1 4,811 24:th-Feb-2020, 08:57:02
Last Post: Rusty2009
  brake calipers tucpal 64 38,245 23:rd-Feb-2020, 19:13:29
Last Post: blacknik
  Noise when clutch 1/4 depressed 2013 Astra J Galway11 0 8,055 27:th-Jun-2019, 22:40:04
Last Post: Galway11
  Strange noise from passenger side when driving slowly/stationary and just taking off irishastraowner 3 3,562 16:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:36
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Astra J 2.0 cdti noise on cold start up Iaintruten 3 6,122 17:th-Jan-2018, 17:26:31
Last Post: Iaintruten
  Water Noise Sloshing sheppy1 22 23,977 15:th-Oct-2016, 11:16:57
Last Post: andy2174
  Whirring noise richje100 13 16,147 20:th-Mar-2016, 15:32:00
Last Post: Jj0063
  Boot noise?? Anyone help me?? LukeAstra15 4 5,235 16:th-Feb-2016, 21:38:45
Last Post: bhalay207