Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
brake calipers

brake calipers
I tried that made it worse.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Is the rubber sleeve ok on the bottom pin
Yes mate, I think the problem is like what you said before once the pads get half worn.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Sure the play in the caliper gets worse with wear I have changed 2 sets now at the half way point and this cured the problem every time the wear is always even but noise starts at the half way mark strange
I think it could be the pads not sliding back when the brake is released, so using that Bendix to glue/bond them to the calliper resloves the issue.

It drys like a silicone rubber and easy to remove so I've been told.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
i will try it next time a service the pads but there brand new at the moment
so next summer i will give it a go
I have a 63 plate J series, so it is what 21months old. I had new front discs fitted July 2015 - due to bad vibration under heavy braking. I now experience a rattle cum knocking from the front disc pads in their carriers. My garage says the pads are very slack, particularly the inner pads on both front wheels. Packed with grease the noise goes but as soon as the grease wears away they start to rattle again - sounds as if there is a serious problem with the front wheels. I am assured the problem is the brake pads being slack in their carriers. Garage have placed on order new brake pad carriers - will this resolve the problem? Annoyed to find that Vauxhall have two qualities in replacement part - after service parts and better top quality parts! Never had this problem of brake pad rattle pre the brake discs being replaced! Is it because of the cheaper version brake discs being fitted???
Could the metal shims be missing? I've not heard of anyone else with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
it could be the cheaper discs if they are a few mm out
then that could make things alot worse
there is already play in the caliper as vauxhall decided
not to fit retaining clips to hold the calipers firm on the astra j
so yes there should be some movement in the caliper this is normal
but if it is really bad this could be due to very worn pads
or a very worn disc
(11:th-Oct-2015, 08:19:25)tucpal Wrote: it could be the cheaper discs if they are a few mm out
then that could make things alot worse
there is already play in the caliper as vauxhall decided
not to fit retaining clips to hold the calipers firm on the astra j
so yes there should be some movement in the caliper this is normal
but if it is really bad this could be due to very worn pads
or a very worn disc

The brake discs were new in July 2015 and new pads obviously fitted at that time. The garage says the pads can be moved by hand when dry fitted but when packed with grease there is no movement. Really does sound like a bag of spanners rattling when driving over anything other than a very smooth road surface.
Ok what may have happened is there is one rubber sleeve on the bottom brake calliper pin this may have split or be missing or even worn your best bet is to order new brake caliper slider pins this should sort the problem out your brakes should not be that noisy this will most likely be the issue they can perish very quickly if the wrong grease has been used cooper grease is a big no no on the Astra j slider pins
The car is in again on Monday at a Vauxhall garage. See what comes of that and will let you know. Thanks for the help so far, appreciated!
Your welcome hope you get it sorted
Hi!
I've the same problem...

When I'm driving on a uneven surface I hear a rattle and when I put my feet on brake pedal the noise dissapears.

A year ago I left the car at the garage and I know they put a grease on the pads but a month ago the rattle started again.

I'll try to ask them to check the caliper pins or the pad clips.
Hello.we find finely the answer from the brakes.what can do for this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electrik brake noise!! blacknik 1 4,807 24:th-Feb-2020, 08:57:02
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Brake pedal vibration richje100 25 16,707 18:th-Jan-2015, 12:59:02
Last Post: kevinn
  Brake Assist Warning Light duncboyd 8 15,862 19:th-Aug-2014, 07:52:40
  Brake noise Rusty2009 11 10,856 2:nd-May-2014, 20:13:50

Who read this thread?
3 User(s) read this thread:
antd (15:th-Dec-2023, 13:38:17), madgerald1974 (9:th-Sep-2023, 17:26:58), exhippykev (22:nd-Jul-2023, 21:25:19)