Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
water noise sloshing

Water Noise Sloshing
Hi All,

Sigh! I thought I'd seen the end of the sloshing problems in my car but now I have a new one :(

I can hear what sounds like A LOT of water sloshing around in the boot area whenever I accelerate, break or turn. I used to hear this noise when I first got my car and it was the fuel in the tank because my tank didn't have baffles. Vauxhall eventually fitted some baffles and that was the end of that, never heard anything since then until today!

Got in my car for the first time in a few days and can hear these really loud water sloshing noises.

anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Sounds more like fuel tank problem, but you say VX have fixed this.

Have you checked the boot, is the carpet wet? Is there any water in the spare wheel wel?

i know on the early models there was an issue with some of seems.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Sounds more like fuel tank problem, but you say VX have fixed this.

Have you checked the boot, is the carpet wet? Is there any water in the spare wheel wel?

i know on the early models there was an issue with some of seems.

Yeah I'd have said it was the fuel tank too, sounds just like it but louder! But as I say, I haven't had the fuel tank issue in almost a year now so unless it's broke somehow, I doubt it that. And yeah, checked the wheel compartment and the boot itself, all dry and no sign of water.

When i push the back down hard repeatedly with the boot open I can still hear it too

I'm pretty sure some had the tank done 2-3 times.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
How did they stop working...?? Did they just break or something?

Not a clue mate
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I don't think I've got it in me to nag vauxhall for another 6 months to sort it again :( lol

if you have the warranty i would as when its gone its gone

this does only effect the diesel models
Not sure what they are gonna say about my warranty with the amount of stuff I've done to the car now lol

Nothing mate the only thing they won't cover is the parts you have changed but TBH most dealers don't even notice these things.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yeah i guess if the jobs done properly then they won't really know if it was an option at the time or a retrofit will they. Right then...I'll have VX take another look at it Just remembered it's actually booked in for yet another free health check anyway for some reason so they can have a look then

they never make a fuse about retro fits as rusty says they dont even notice
Well I think I found the problem! I opened the back doors to get something out and noticed water dripping from the bottom of one of the doors...I remember seeing people online say that water can collect in them and that there are little flaps at the bottom which you can poke to release the water...Well I did just that and water poured out for about 2 minutes solid!!!!

See video attached. Can this cause any damage with the water being in there for so long and also do i need to have this looked at so that it doesn't happen again?

Thanks.

[video=youtube;lJWzhxArsGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWzhxArsGI[/video]

yes it can it can corrode the speaker wires water will make its way past the seal and work its way into the door
the holes are there to let any water out if they are blocked like yours were then they will collect water
and it has no were to go i have seen and heard of this on many cars before
i would remove the door card and see what is blocking the holes and make sure
the bottom of the door is clear if the holes are unblocked it will not happen again.

it will just be a case of what ever was blocking the holes being removed.
it looks worse then it actually is but i recommend finding out what is in the bottom of the door
by removing the door card and having a look lucky for you you need to swap them over anyway
for the leather ones
i had a similar problem with my old astra H it would block up and come out the speaker
and also one day i heard a real bad sloshing when i pulled of and braked it turned out to be water trapped in the sills
i found a drain plug and it took 5 minuets for the water to come out
anyway good work in finding what it was :cool
Thanks mate! thought the video may be useful too so people know where to look if they also have the same issue. And I am doing the back door cards yeah but won't be for a while because lewis isn't free to meet up until June! Have the car booked in to VX in a few weeks though so will tell them to deal with it! Ha.

Glad you found.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
good idea to get them to see why they have blocked
and it just shows not all sloshing noises are the fuel tank
Yup! I thought this sounded a lot louder than the fuel tank sloshing noise and also seemed to be moving a lot more too..tbh only noticed because I saw water dripping out of the car door when I opened it.

Will show them the video too because they have a habit of not doing anything if they can't see the problem when they have the car!

correct show them
Great post, I thoguht I was going mad hearing water sloshing, checked the carpets all fine, the boot all fine, quick search here and my drivers door had a fair bit of water in it, drained it out and no more sloshing
(15:th-Oct-2016, 07:53:53)andy2174 Wrote: Great post, I thoguht I was going mad hearing water sloshing, checked the carpets all fine, the boot all fine, quick search here and my drivers door had a fair bit of water in it, drained it out and no more sloshing
Result! Ha. Did you have the little rubber grommets in the holes under the doors? I removed mine as they always got clogged up and never had the issues since

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I did see the grommets and I left them in place for now, at least now I know its a potential problem area and Ill keep an eye on it

I did have fears of it being water in the bulkhead between the cockpit and the engine bay, a la Rover 75 / MG ZT, which was a real problem area as the engine ECU lived in there!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High pitched noise (Astra OPC J) maximame 0 4,479 24:th-Mar-2021, 08:34:13
Last Post: maximame
  Water leak in boot, spare wheel karl100100 12 8,778 27:th-Jan-2021, 12:49:34
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Electrik brake noise!! blacknik 1 4,798 24:th-Feb-2020, 08:57:02
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Water dripping AndyF79 6 4,246 20:th-Dec-2019, 23:04:34
Last Post: AndyF79
  Noise when clutch 1/4 depressed 2013 Astra J Galway11 0 8,033 27:th-Jun-2019, 22:40:04
Last Post: Galway11
  Strange noise from passenger side when driving slowly/stationary and just taking off irishastraowner 3 3,529 16:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:36
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Astra J 2.0 cdti noise on cold start up Iaintruten 3 6,098 17:th-Jan-2018, 17:26:31
Last Post: Iaintruten
  Water ingress in boot Woodsy 10 15,748 7:th-Mar-2017, 08:32:22
Last Post: Tonsor
  Whirring noise richje100 13 16,121 20:th-Mar-2016, 15:32:00
Last Post: Jj0063
  water ingress tucpal 5 10,191 29:th-Feb-2016, 15:29:47
Last Post: irishastraowner