Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
issue automatic jtc gearbox 4t downhill 1

JTC 1.4T (Automatic Gearbox) Downhill issue
Hello Experts,

Just wondering, Does any one here experience a wierd behaviour on Rev gauge while on a not so steep downhill?

Basically, i own an Astra GTC 1.4T Auto transmission and when i'm doing a downhill, (doing around 40 ~ 60 mph - rev around 2000 rpm) and apply brake to slowdown, the engine rev goes up to 3000 ~ 4000 rpm.  Is this kind of normal?

I asked few Automatic car drivers (Jaguar XE owner and a BMW 3 Series owner - all 65 plate), and they said they haven't experinced such 
while doing downhills.  

I know there is a thing called engine braking, but my question is why its applied all the time when doing downhills and not to be seen in other car manufactures? (Like i mentioned above)

Apart from that, my car doesn't have any known issues........

Thanks in advance.......
Hello Meshymore2,
I'm no expert, just owned Vaux's mainly since the 80's.
Back to topic. It sounds to me that your torque convertor gearbox is dropping a gear, as you brake to slow down. Sounds quite normal to me, as I own the auto 6 speed box too. If you want to hold the revs, put it into manual mode. Have driven a Ford powershift. Didn't like that box at all. Always wanted to gear up at too lower rev range, nearly at the point of stalling. To try & save fuel no doubt, annoying none the less.
I've found this box to be very smooth, generally. Far better than a lot of other auto's I've driven. Not tried a dsg yet though.
The only down side I can see with our auto, is that it's not quite as responsive as some autos I've driven. I.e quite a bit of throttle play. Think this has been improved with the K's though.
(13:th-Jul-2017, 23:37:20)Boroboy Wrote: Hello Meshymore2,
I'm no expert, just owned Vaux's mainly since the 80's.
Back to topic. It sounds to me that your torque convertor gearbox is dropping a gear, as you brake to slow down. Sounds quite normal to me, as I own the auto 6 speed box too. If you want to hold the revs, put it into manual mode. Have driven a Ford powershift. Didn't like that box at all. Always wanted to gear up at too lower rev range, nearly at the point of stalling. To try & save fuel no doubt, annoying none the less.
I've found this box to be very smooth, generally. Far better than a lot of other auto's I've driven. Not tried a dsg yet though.
The only down side I can see with our auto, is that it's not quite as responsive as some autos I've driven. I.e quite a bit of throttle play. Think this has been improved with the K's though.

Hi Boroboy,

Thank you for the comment and sorry for the long delay in response.

Yeah, as you mentioned, im using the manual mode on downhills which is much much better and helps to get down the revs well below.

I have driven a Astra 2017 Auto recently (2.0 CTDI) and its quite smooth too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra J 1.7 CDTI Tech-Line rear light cluster issue AstraCDTI 1 5,466 29:th-Aug-2018, 07:27:16
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Service ESP issue markmc68 0 5,889 1:st-Nov-2017, 07:45:41
Last Post: markmc68