Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
lowering amp please widening advice

Lowering & widening advice please.
Hi Im thinking of going the Eibach Pro 30ml spring lowering kit route with my Gtc Sri 2ltr Cdti 3door 13 plate.

Also thinking of fitting Eibach pro wheel spacers. Has anyone had any experience with the springs, spacers, how wide to go, where to buy them and oh are they legal?
Many thanks from sunny Northumberland ??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
My view on lowering is 10mm max anything else is too low I know others have lowered 30-40mm and are happy.

As to wheel spacers your be adding extra strain on the drive shafts.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks for that Rusty, your advice is always appreciated and welcome.

(16:th-May-2017, 09:45:49)ronnierae Wrote: Thanks for that Rusty, your advice is always appreciated and welcome.

How well do your mud guards work? Thinking of getting some, cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best thing I ever did fitting mud flaps doesn't totally stop it but helps alot.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Without getting too technical, assuming you are keeping the same wheels.

I reckon you would have a maximum of around 20mm to play with between your rim and wheel arch for spacers. Of-course this is just a guesstimate, and your best bet is to put a piece of wood across your wheel arch and measure the gap between the inside edge of the wood and outer edge of your rim. You would also have to take into account tyre rim as these can protrude, depending on tyre make. 

Most people who lower their GTC's do it on springs and pretty much the lowest you will get is 30mm. Even so, after lowering you will still have at least a good inch between top of tyre and wheel arch, so you will not have any issues with speed bumps or rubbing.

This is a gtc lowered on 30mm H&R springs with the same wheels as yours to give you an idea of the end result.

https://gyazo.com/d887a2f8e8dfecbab92937408efa7bd8
(16:th-May-2017, 22:20:35)stigeye Wrote: Without getting too technical, assuming you are keeping the same wheels.

I reckon you would have a maximum of around 20mm to play with between your rim and wheel arch for spacers. Of-course this is just a guesstimate, and your best bet is to put a piece of wood across your wheel arch and measure the gap between the inside edge of the wood and outer edge of your rim. You would also have to take into account tyre rim as these can protrude, depending on tyre make. 

Most people who lower their GTC's do it on springs and pretty much the lowest you will get is 30mm. Even so, after lowering you will still have at least a good inch between top of tyre and wheel arch, so you will not have any issues with speed bumps or rubbing.

This is a gtc lowered on 30mm H&R springs with the same wheels as yours to give you an idea of the end result.

https://gyazo.com/d887a2f8e8dfecbab92937408efa7bd8

Aye and also you will need to take into account when widening it is that your wheel cant be wider than your wheel arch (at the top) and tbh will 2cm really make it look that much different? I would save my money with my gtc

Thanks for that. jon, yeah Ive had a bit think about it and decided not to.. Many have said that it can put undue stress on bearings, shafts and suspension.. So have taken note of everyone's advice.. Can't really justify ruining a 3 year old car tbh.. Thanks for your help and advice guys.

(17:th-May-2017, 14:30:19)ronnierae Wrote: Thanks for that. jon, yeah Ive had a bit think about it and decided not to.. Many have said that it can put undue stress on bearings, shafts and suspension.. So have taken note of everyone's advice.. Can't really justify ruining a 3 year old car tbh.. Thanks for your help and advice guys.

Your very welcome aye would do all of that and also (due to broken back) a harder ride isnt comfy at all but it is a nice car though! I was going to get white but the red was just a better car

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowering springs identify front rear martinpe68 1 1,667 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:22:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Information Regarding Lowering My Astra J SAMW98SO 11 4,107 9:th-Sep-2020, 01:37:06
Last Post: M222RJF
  "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated" Advice appreciated please Dennis S 25 38,661 30:th-Aug-2020, 13:56:18
Last Post: Rgotts00
  I bought a used GTC! - Fantastic car but a few issues i could do with advice about Mattymush 5 3,367 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:45:59
  VXR lowering springs hooper 3 2,142 5:th-Apr-2020, 08:30:10
  SVS - Battery advice shabba 2 2,020 2:nd-Mar-2020, 21:09:49
  Astra J 1.6cdti ecoflex lowering Alan300589 3 2,326 18:th-Feb-2020, 19:27:25
  Lowering and wheel spacers twinpipes 1 2,510 28:th-Jul-2019, 08:43:33
  Astra J lowering hooper 1 2,553 1:st-Jun-2019, 09:20:04
  Rear Light Replacement (Need Advice) A.ROD 2 4,923 17:th-Dec-2018, 19:17:48