Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
problem lighting on exit

Lighting problem on exit
Astra 2011 SE Tourer

Checked in the dark btw

When I exit the car (i.e. open the door) the external lights do not come on (they used to up until Friday).
Whenever I pull the keys out of the ignition the lights turn off straight away. I have tried selecting all 3 timings in the configurations menu (no different)

The external lights do come on when I unlock he car using the key fob.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alan

Found the answer myself - RTFM page 134. No idea why they stopped working in the 1st place and now I just need to get my key to remember the setting.
You should have to pull the high beam stalk towards you with the driver door open & key out.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Ridiculous design if you ask me!
2009 Insignia Sports Tourer / (EDS) Remap 202hp/475Nm / (OEM) DAB+ retrofit / (OEM) Foglights retrofit / (Focal) sound system
(20:th-Nov-2017, 12:00:16)zzattack Wrote: Ridiculous design if you ask me!

Why?

Makes sense to manually enable it only when you need it. Why take juice out of the battery when it's not required?
Rusty2009 Wrote:You should have to pull the high beam stalk towards you with the driver door open & key out.

So that's the trick!
Always wondered why they didn't stay on after exiting the vehicle even after turning on the option in the settings.
I need to remember this!
(20:th-Nov-2017, 12:44:12)Big Dave2 Wrote:
Why?
Particularly the part where you first need to open the door and then pull the stalk. When I pull the handle I got 1 foot out the door already. I'm not pushing the door open while remaining seated so I can pull that stalk.
The battery drain for 30 seconds of lights is really neglible.
2009 Insignia Sports Tourer / (EDS) Remap 202hp/475Nm / (OEM) DAB+ retrofit / (OEM) Foglights retrofit / (Focal) sound system
(21:st-Nov-2017, 10:35:12)zzattack Wrote:
(20:th-Nov-2017, 12:44:12)Big Dave2 Wrote:
Why?
Particularly the part where you first need to open the door and then pull the stalk. When I pull the handle I got 1 foot out the door already. I'm not pushing the door open while remaining seated so I can pull that stalk.
The battery drain for 30 seconds of lights is really neglible.

So, you're unable to reach the stalk with one foot out the door?

The system can be set to remain on for up to 2 mins in the menu, or if set at the 30 sec setting, the lights will still remain on for 2 mins if the door is left open/ajar.
It's not that I'd be physically unable but it's stupid to first move your hand to the door and then move it back to the stalk. This way it's not a fire-and-forget kind of motion. And even 2 minutes of lights is neglible. The 'CHLH' functionality of many (semi-)modern cars already activates the lights for some period of time upon locking the car.
Lol but you open the door with right hand and use your left hand to pull stalk.

of for our LHD friends you open the door with your left hand and right hand to pull the stalk.

So you left/right hand is passing the stalk on the way out.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(22:nd-Nov-2017, 10:33:07)Rusty2009 Wrote: Lol but you open the door with right hand and use your left hand to pull stalk.

of for our LHD friends you open the door with your left hand and right hand to pull the stalk.

Maybe he's only got one hand
Rusty2009 Wrote:Lol but you open the door with right hand and use your left hand to pull stalk.

It does make sense for RHD cars, but not for LHD ones.
The high beam stalk is on the left side for either left and right hand drive cars.
So when you open the door with you left hand on LHD you have to move your hand back to the stalk to pull it and then back to the door to open it completely and exit.
It's very awkward to try and pull the stalk with your right hand (because, like I said, it's on the left side of the steering wheel).

I understand the feeling it's very counter intuitive.
Fancy GM not being clever enough to swap the stalk round for our LHD friends.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Exactly @rlievens! Yes pulling the stalk with right hand is super awkward.
And don't forget you have to do it with your keys in your hand

Btw Rusty it's not GM's laziness, every LHD has the same layout. Lights left and wipers right. It would have been even more counter intuitive if they would have swapped that lol.
(22:nd-Nov-2017, 15:49:04)rlievens Wrote:
Quote:It does make sense for RHD cars, but not for LHD ones.
The high beam stalk is on the left side for either left and right hand drive cars.
So when you open the door with you left hand on LHD you have to move your hand back to the stalk to pull it and then back to the door to open it completely and exit.
It's very awkward to try and pull the stalk with your right hand (because, like I said, it's on the left side of the steering wheel).

I understand the feeling it's very counter intuitive.

Surely you are able to flick it with your right hand as you exit the car. What else is your right hand doing at the time?
Next time try using your wipers with your left hand as you get out Dave it's just weird
And with your keys in your hand!
(23:rd-Nov-2017, 16:12:38)zzattack Wrote: Next time try using your wipers with your left hand as you get out Dave it's just weird

Too right it'll be weird, because I can't see any reason for me wanting to put the wipers on while getting out of the car

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lighting power issue phlyer 1 2,443 10:th-May-2023, 23:41:47
Last Post: phlyer
  Rear light problem Dan1992 7 13,175 12:th-Jan-2019, 22:34:33
Last Post: Willcbrbikeboy
  Wonky lighting and other behaviour umognog 3 4,969 5:th-Jul-2018, 06:52:33
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Bulbs and lighting upgrades for Astra J and GTC - complete list for reference Rusty2009 71 71,672 25:th-Sep-2017, 07:23:38
  Ambient Lighting Davidog1994 4 5,549 22:nd-Sep-2017, 07:05:38
  AFL basic problem (bulb not working) AlanMac 2 6,568 28:th-Aug-2017, 09:17:58
Last Post: AlanMac
  problem Headlights Astra J bosto 2 4,942 1:st-Mar-2017, 11:59:30
Last Post: bosto
  HID problem McGill2009 8 6,191 16:th-Oct-2016, 10:53:57
Last Post: tucpal
  Astra j gtc sri lighting problem Quinniain 44 22,630 22:nd-Feb-2016, 10:26:05
Last Post: Quinniain
  lighting again stevie_d 17 11,453 11:th-Feb-2016, 20:17:45