Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
changing steering wheel badge

Changing steering wheel badge
Looking at swapping all the badges on my GTC to Opel badges (cleaner look imo) Im guessing the 2 badges on the bodywork are gonna be a pretty straight forward swap, havn't had a proper look yet, but for the steering wheel am I going to need a new wheel or airbag? 

Looking at the way the badge is set in wheel i'm assuming this is the only way round it, any of you guys swapped the badges over and have any info for me? Cheers
I think it'll be a new airbag, unless it's stuck on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(6:th-Nov-2016, 22:58:57)Rusty2009 Wrote: I think it'll be a new airbag, unless it's stuck on.

Yeah think that's gonna be the case. There's a few on ebay but its a fortune to buy one with the airbag, however I've seen some on an American website that is just the cover with no airbag.

Any info on here how I would go about dismantling/assembling that? I'm assuming its just a simple cover change and I can still use my existing aribag, although would rather not mess around with it if I don't have to
I would just buy an ople bag it will be safer
I did the exact same thing a while back and just paid for a new airbag - expensive, but worth it I think.

However, for what it's worth, I happen to have just sold my old Vauxhall airbag last few days so it's sitting on my desk - I'll snap a few photos of it later so you can see how it's constructed from the other side if you want, without removing it. From what I remember though, don't think the front cover bit will come off easily...

Oh and bear in mind the rear badge contains the boot mechanism (if it's the GTC). So it's not just a straight swap - need the new badge, and a different mechanism that sits behind it. Plus a bit of painting.

Front one is just straight swappable I think, but the bumper does need to come off.

Hope this helps.
If you need help sourcing a used Opel airbag drop me a pm and I'll have a look at a few sites over here in Ireland and post you the link

(7:th-Nov-2016, 13:36:05)newredgtc Wrote: I did the exact same thing a while back and just paid for a new airbag - expensive, but worth it I think.

However, for what it's worth, I happen to have just sold my old Vauxhall airbag last few days so it's sitting on my desk - I'll snap a few photos of it later so you can see how it's constructed from the other side if you want, without removing it. From what I remember though, don't think the front cover bit will come off easily...

Oh and bear in mind the rear badge contains the boot mechanism (if it's the GTC). So it's not just a straight swap - need the new badge, and a different mechanism that sits behind it. Plus a bit of painting.

Front one is just straight swappable I think, but the bumper does need to come off.

Hope this helps.

Ah bummer I thought the rear badge would be a straight swap as long as I could find the right sized badge, I don't understand why a new mechanism would be needed though? Happy to do a bit painting for the size of the badge to get it right

(7:th-Nov-2016, 13:36:05)newredgtc Wrote: I did the exact same thing a while back and just paid for a new airbag - expensive, but worth it I think.

Hope this helps.

After a quick search I've found this: http://www.*****.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-211065.html

Saying the badge is stuck on the plate of metal which contains the mechanism, you sure it can't just be heated up and taken off with some floss?
(6:th-Nov-2016, 21:37:49)Kieran Wrote: but for the steering wheel am I going to need a new wheel or airbag? 

Looking at the way the badge is set in wheel i'm assuming this is the only way round it, any of you guys swapped the badges over and have any info for me? Cheers

There you go pal: https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...ble-airbag

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steering wheel angle, esp, power Steering smoky-jr 3 2,616 6:th-Jun-2021, 18:23:26
Last Post: jeniferbitcoin71
  Broken wheel stud Euroshopper 1 1,682 6:th-Oct-2020, 07:08:18
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Steering wheel from Astra K foxydimsi 2 3,442 1:st-Oct-2020, 06:49:56
  GTC limited edition alloy wheel paint code Nathan191210 5 3,305 1:st-Aug-2020, 19:22:43
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,652 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  space saver wheel Gary13 5 3,524 24:th-May-2020, 19:02:57
Last Post: Gary13
  Squeak when turning steering wheel Rusty2009 12 11,024 12:th-Sep-2019, 21:45:35
Last Post: Boycey1969
  Lowering and wheel spacers twinpipes 1 2,520 28:th-Jul-2019, 08:43:33
  Astra VXR heated steering wheel THEHITMAN 26 15,382 10:th-Mar-2019, 09:34:44
  Complete Astra J wheel nut set for sale richardhmorgan1 1 3,239 4:th-Jul-2018, 18:05:30