Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Tags
to led dpf warning how

HOW-TO DPF WARNING LED
How-to DPF warning LED.

You must understand that the way this works means that if you turn on your rear demist the LED will turn on also and that you would have to turn it off to see if a DPF regen is taking place. 

Ok the first thing you need to do is get a 12v LED like below.

Blue, Red or Green

Tools needed,

Stanley knife, 
7mm Socket,
Drill,
8mm drill (if using the above the LED).

There are a few ways you can wire this up and all depends on where you wanted it fitted, I decided the best fitting place would be between the Fuel and Temp gauges.

So the first thing you need to do is remove the cubby hole below the headlight switch.

So open the cubby hole and then push the sides in towards the driver door and pull down, then it just pulls off at the bottom.

Next step is to disconnect the door to body plug, jut push down on the top of the rubber cover and pull backwards, then to release the plug pull the pink lever out and down.

Move this out of the way

Next step is to unclip the body side so you can get it from inside the car, there are 2 tabs (highlighted by the red rings) just push them in and push it backwards

The next bit is to get the plug from inside this is tricky and I couldn't get any pics but put your hand up from under the dash and head towards the area you will soon feel a bunch of wires (these will run through a foam insert) gentle pull the wires and it come out along with the foam.

Then drop it down to to below the cubby

The wire you need for power is the Brown/Yellow from pin 3 (right below the Red wire), you can take the ground from the Black wire next to the Red wire.

Next you need to remove the top of the IPC.

Simply push this upwards from the front (It will be hard if not removed before).

Then undo the retaining bolt 7mm.

Drill your 8mm hole (if that's the size required) and fit the LED and place to one side, 
**Note I added extra wire as there wasn't enough wire on the LED**

Next feed the wire down the hole where the IPC clips in.

Then stick you hand in the cubby hole and find your wire and pull it down

Make you splices and connect to the wires then heat shrink or tape up

Then put some tape around all the wires to hold them together and then start refitting. The body plug is a pain a pain to fit back in, if you have small child get them upside down in the footwell then they can see what they are doing (if you shine a light).

To put the IPC cover back on it's a simple case of sitting back on holding down the top and whacking the front back towards the windscreen.

Once done start the car up and turn on the rear demist the LED should light up and go off.

Of course if you wanted to mount in the door then that is also possible, you would need to follow the below how-to on removing door cards first
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...door-cards

Then you would splice into the wires on the mirror plug.

You need the following wires from this plug

Power = Pin 6 Brown/Yellow
Ground = Pin 7 Black

As I didn't fit the LED here I have no pictures but if someone does and they want to add the info with pictures into this post please let me know.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
good work rusty

more info here and insignia how to also

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-DPF-REGEN-LIGHT
awesome mate as usual such a simple and needed mod!
I may be asking a stupid question here, but how does it link into the DPF? Is it a specific wire you're splicing into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27:th-Jan-2017, 00:33:06)Nemo Wrote: I may be asking a stupid question here, but how does it link into the DPF? Is it a specific wire you're splicing into?

Yes mate Linking into the rear demist circuit as that is put on in the background when a DPF regen is being done.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(27:th-Jan-2017, 08:07:53)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(27:th-Jan-2017, 00:33:06)Nemo Wrote: I may be asking a stupid question here, but how does it link into the DPF? Is it a specific wire you're splicing into?

Yes mate Linking into the rear demist circuit as that is put on in the background when a DPF regen is being done.

Cheers mate, that clears that up! - pun intended

Thanks Rusty, you're the man!
I did the wiring following your steps this weekend. Still waiting for my led to arrive so I will solder the led on this week.

I decided to do this mod after having a clogged DPF (engine power reduced, SVS, motor light on). Luckily I (or let's say the car) was able to clear the DPF without having to remove it. But next time it might not, and I want to prevent that.

Like I said, already did the wiring down below though. I just wanted to tell, damn, that foam insert is a pain in the ...! At least in my case! Removing it was hard enough. I didn't pull out the plug and the foam the same time, I first wanted to remove the foam and then try to reach to the plug before loosening it from the door frame. That way I was sure I could get it back in afterwards!
And putting that piece of foam back.. My hand still hurts lots of cables in the way, very small space and a big chunky piece of foam. Yay.

Anyway, after that all went well. Used a multimeter to check the connection. I have a few clear pictures of the wire splices which I will share with you guys. And also a photo when it's finished.

Greetings

PS: yes I'm new read almost all the threads in a day or two and ordered me some of the fun and cheap mods you guys suggested. Will introduce myself, and the car I own, probably soon in the appropriate thread.
[img=0x0]https://imgur.com/j8c9flg[/img]Allright, LED arrive yesterday. Just soldered it up and here are the pictures:

Splices soldered up

Taped up ready to put everything back in place

Upside. Wires are not so tidy but they are not in the way of anything so decided to leave it like that.
Also decided not to drill any holes (yet). I just let the LED poke trough in between there. Almost invisible when LED is not on, and still very visible when LED is on.

Led off -> Led on

It can also be mounted invisible like this. But it's a bit harder to see when the led is on. Presumably a more high powered led would make it more visible in the daytime.

I used a 3mm prewired orange LED bought off ebay (orange because the heater light is orange, and most of the warning lights are orange too.)
Congratulations...

Very good .
Started to do our car today, but the bloody weather got in the way. Managed to fit the led, just need to get to the wires and connect it all. Hopefully weather will be a bit more permitting tomorrow.

stigeye Wrote:Started to do our car today, but the bloody weather got in the way. Managed to fit the led, just need to get to the wires and connect it all. Hopefully weather will be a bit more permitting tomorrow.

Getting the door plug out and back in is the hard part
Well, most of all the foam insert, not so much the plug itself.
Wasn't too bad in the end, had to do it twice as for some reason the scotch locks didn't seem to work so had to take it all apart again and then splice them together and use insulating tape. Thankfully it worked second time around lol. 

Thanks Rusty,
Had my 2.0 cdti elite astra j for nearly 5 months now and covered around 3.500 miles had no sign of a regen always have the consumer trip computer on and rear demist never appears?
This is going to sound stupid but I really am a beginner what is ment by splice into wire??

Also does it matter which wire from the led goes to which cable in the block?
(13:th-Apr-2020, 14:28:41)Kiel0777 Wrote: This is going to sound stupid but I really am a beginner what is ment by splice into wire??

Also does it matter which wire from the led goes to which cable in the block?

Splicing how-to attached.

Wiring the LED yes red to power source black to ground (Normally black wire or find a ground point).

Attached Files
  Splicing wire How-to.pdf (Size: 1.51 MB / Downloads: 17)
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hi I managed to do This today many thanks Rusty! I kind of ruined the foam Insert though is it needed for anything?
(5:th-Aug-2020, 19:12:04)Kiel0777 Wrote: Hi I managed to do This today many thanks Rusty! I kind of ruined the foam Insert though is it needed for anything?

From what I can see it just fills the big hole to help stop noise and possible heat loss.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
That's good then no need for me to order a new one lol
Is it possible to just splice into the wire going into the rear demist button rather than all the faffing about?
(21:st-Sep-2020, 20:37:49)msuth Wrote: Is it possible to just splice into the wire going into the rear demist button rather than all the faffing about?

No because it's done via a canbus wire for all the buttons on the panel.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Thanks for the reply. 
(1:st-Oct-2020, 07:04:03)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(21:st-Sep-2020, 20:37:49)msuth Wrote: Is it possible to just splice into the wire going into the rear demist button rather than all the faffing about?

No because it's done via a canbus wire for all the buttons on the panel.
Hi rusty, do you know if the wire is same in colour passenger side to splice to as I want to install the led next to 12v socket in centre console & maybe easier to route wire from that side,thanks..
(24:th-Aug-2021, 21:18:34)Davbay Wrote: Hi rusty, do you know if the wire is same in colour passenger side to splice to as I want to install the led next to 12v socket in centre console & maybe easier to route wire from that side,thanks..

Yes it is in the same pin (3) and is brown/yellow according to the info from TIS.

You would need to remove the glovebox and then drop the fuse board out the way (just push the tabs in at the top each side) & it'll drop down out the way.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Who read this thread?
7 User(s) read this thread:
Rusty2009 (9:th-Aug-2023, 07:17:23), dimishark (8:th-Mar-2024, 11:35:57), marktourino (16:th-Oct-2023, 14:26:48), M.Duman (28:th-May-2023, 00:14:41), exhippykev (4:th-Jul-2023, 20:26:36), ziTneY (16:th-Oct-2023, 21:57:20), caneiv (9:th-Apr-2024, 10:33:04)