Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
sports in tourer j installing astra radio android

installing Android radio in Astra J Sports Tourer
Hi All, 

I'm having a problem whit installing a Android radio in my Astra J (2011) instead of my original radio CD500 (whit navigation). I know that a CD400 model or a CD300 model has almost the same middle console like a CD500 model. The only thing is a difference in the wiring of the middle console and steering wheel functions. Now i'm trying to build this Android radio instead of my radio CD500 model and got it almost 100% working. The only thing what I'm struggling whit is that middle console will not power up whit tha Android radio. 
See picture to understand what I exact mean. My question is does anyone know how I can make that work. I know that the radio is working fine whit a CD400 wiring model if you would replace it. The functinality of of the console has been build in the Android radio the only problem is that I need to know how to power up the middle console so that the buttons can function.

You can also see other pictures of my original screen connector. But there goes only one wire to that connector from the Android CANBUS system and normally that works for a CD400 model. So i hope if there is someone who can help me out whit this wire diagrams. 

And this is my original ISO connector from radio:

And this is the radio what I got:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Android-4...49594.html

So I hope someone can help whit the wiring diagram so that I can make that middle console work. I tested out parksensor and signal lights door sensor airco functinality and it all work fine. I think if there will be power in my middle console that the buttons would work proper as well. 

Kind Regards
Amir Khezri
So did you find a solution to this? I m also interested in replacing my factory CD500 with an aftermarket one.
You need to swap wires around between the screen and control panel & also at the main radio plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(3:rd-Jan-2017, 11:52:55)DNT Wrote: So did you find a solution to this? I m also interested in replacing my factory CD500 with an aftermarket one.

Hi, 

Yes I found a solution for it but it cost time and maybe a CD400 control panel. I contact seller from Aliexpress aswell and he send me later a CD500 wirebox and if you could compare it whit a CD400 wireunit+CANBUS there the difference is only 2 wires that goes from radio unit to the controlpanel. If you have the CD500 wires+CANBUS whit a CD500 control panel and the android radio the panel will power up and the buttons will function but not all the buttons functioning correctly because of the firmware of the CANBUS what is normally compatible whit a CD400 control unit. So I bought a used CD400 controlpanel from Ebay for 45 EUR and replaced my CD500 controlpanel for full funtionality. So yes you can make it work because now you don't need to find out what to do :-). 

this is the unit and store info were I got it from:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Android-...0.0.14ueCZ

if you need more info let me know.

Kind Regards
Amir

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's great! So you just replaced CD500 button panel with CD400 button panel? You didnt use the CD500 wirebox with canbus that the seller sent you?
(13:th-Jan-2017, 22:22:51)DNT Wrote: That's great! So you just replaced CD500 button panel with CD400 button panel? You didnt use the CD500 wirebox with canbus that the seller sent you?

Wiring changes has to be made.

The cd400 is wired totally different to the rest you need to make your wiring match a cd400.

The cd400 buttons will then work, you can't make the changes and expect a cd500 control panel to work.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(14:th-Jan-2017, 00:14:07)Rusty2009 Wrote: Wiring changes has to be made.

The cd400 is wired totally different to the rest you need to make your wiring match a cd400.

So is changing wires and make them match a CD400 a difficult task to do? Relocating 3 or 4 cables in the factory iso connector wouldn't be a big deal but if it is needed more than this then it would be nearly impossible to make it. Maybe Amir Khezri could enlighten us about the alterations he did
Ok, answering to my question , all you need to do in order to replace your CD500/DVD800 unit with an android one, is to use a CD400 button control panel, and cut the purple wire from the display (14:45 at the video) and connect it to the second empty pin slot at the connector plug (16:00 at the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSAB8IKEXw
Hi all, New joining your club Great portal. I am looking to do the same to my Astra and replaced my CD500, wondering if Amir could recommend any other navi on Aliexpress with a more updated Android version ( or would anyone that currently says CD300/400 would work? )and/or share his experience in terms of performance with the one he installed?. So if I understand it well, we just have to replace-swap our CD500 control panel to a CD300/400 and tweak a connector? Could you please confirm? thank you in advance. best
I am also looking to replace my cd400 and have been doing some research on the units themselves.

Please note I am in no way an expert or have first hand experience on the units or boards, but this is some generic info I have found out.

The most common "new" units use a px5 which feature:

Octa-core CPU
2GB ram
32 GB onboard nand.

This replaces the more common px3 which are typically:

Quad core CPU
1GB ram
16GB onboard nand

It is possible to find px3 units with 2GB ram and/or 32GB storage, which bridges some of the speed gap experienced between the two boards. This forums favourite, the m072/s160 is based on the px3.

An Intel Sofia based system is better than either of these and if you ever find something with a Snapdragon in it, let me know.

Within the px3/px5 arena, as long as these at mtcd units, XDA seems to have support on updating the ROM to a better version, certainly the forums favourite m072 has a number of users and posts running a different ROM on that particular unit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
After a bit of looking around, I rather liked the idea of this unit:

Otojeta Vertical 10.4" Quad Core Android 6.0 2gb ram Car DVD player For OPEL ASTRA J 2009-2014 radio Multimedia stereo headunit
http://s.aliexpress.com/QV3iEry6

Based on the PX3 with 2GB ram, it would tidy up the centre console fantastically, removing a significant number of buttons.

On looking carefully though I realised something. I have an eco button and a traction control button.

The TC button has a space on the new facia to the right of the new hazards button placement, followed by a boot button. I can obviously hook the eco button to this, but it bugs me it would look like the wrong thing.

As a result, I think I will opt for one of the m072/s160 variants. For less money it's the same brains, a higher DPI on the screen (same resolution, smaller screen) and include extras such as a front facing camera (not expensive I know, but included in the price for less than the above unit.)

Additionally, I believe it is possible to map the cd400 units buttons to specific actions with the s160 if anyone can validate that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

[attachment=934 Wrote:DNT pid='41216' dateline='1484687258']                    

So is changing wires and make them match a CD400 a difficult task to do? Relocating 3 or 4 cables in the factory iso connector wouldn't be a big deal but if it is needed more than this then it would be nearly impossible to make it. Maybe Amir Khezri could enlighten us about the alterations he did

@Rusty2009
Hello I'am a newbie from The Netherlands. I seriously need help. My car is an Astra J GTC 2012 with Navi 900. After colour scheme update the unit crashed. So I replaced it with an Android 5.1 head init. I can use my Navi 900 control panel in combination with the head unit (the push buttons are not correct, when I push PHONE the NAVI app starts up). On Ebay I bought an used CD 400 panel. 
I did the wiring as showed on Youtube (OPC Club Franken) :

Unfortunately for me it did not work, the CD 400 did not light up.
Is it possible to re-wire?

Pic 2 :  Connector from Navi900 display (pink wire cutted in middle position)
Pic 3 :  Connecter from head unit
Pic 4 :  Connector from Navi900 (pos 2 connect to pink wire (pic 2)
Pic 6 :  CD400  panel connect
Pic 7 :  Navi900 panel connect
(5:th-Nov-2017, 12:53:48)AstraRick Wrote:
(17:th-Jan-2017, 22:07:38)DNT Wrote:

@Rusty2009
Hello I'am a newbie from The Netherlands. I seriously need help. My car is an Astra J GTC 2012 with Navi 900. After colour scheme update the unit crashed. So I replaced it with an Android 5.1 head init. I can use my Navi 900 control panel in combination with the head unit (the push buttons are not correct, when I push PHONE the NAVI app starts up). On Ebay I bought an used CD 400 panel. 
I did the wiring as showed on Youtube (OPC Club Franken) :

Unfortunately for me it did not work, the CD 400 did not light up.
Is it possible to re-wire?

Pic 2 :  Connector from Navi900 display (pink wire cutted in middle position)
Pic 3 :  Connecter from head unit
Pic 4 :  Connector from Navi900 (pos 2 connect to pink wire (pic 2)
Pic 6 :  CD400  panel connect
Pic 7 :  Navi900 panel connect

Problem solved , big thanks to Rusty2009
Glad you sorted this out using the above method. I m afraid there is no easy way to change what each button do
Hi @Rusty2009!
I'm planning to swap my current CD500 to one of those Android units as well.

So, to recap:
1) CD500 button panel - is it a definite no-go or still usable with some alterations to the wiring?
1.1) If CD500 button panel is unusable, then is just buying a CD400 panel enough to get everything working properly?
2) Is the Android HU able to change some of the car settings (rear wiper, automatic locking, etc..) as well?
Well, now I'm exactly in the same position as OP.

Original CD500 panel lights up but all the button's functions are messed up (as expected).
When I connect a CD400 panel, then nothing happens (seems to be also an expected behavior).

Tried one of the tips shared here - cutting the purple wire from the display and connecting it to the second empty pin slot at the connector plug. Didn't work. Panel still doesn't light up.
Also, the new HU's wiring loom has a single purple wire with a connector. Another end of that goes to the CANBUS box.
On different pictures I've found over the internet, it seems to be connected with one of the display connectors. Looking more closely I discovered that it's exactly the same purple wire that I should cut to get the panel working.

Conflicting information, so to speak.

(3:rd-Jan-2017, 22:40:56)Rusty2009 Wrote: You need to swap wires around between the screen and control panel & also at the main radio plug.

(14:th-Jan-2017, 00:14:07)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(13:th-Jan-2017, 22:22:51)DNT Wrote: That's great! So you just replaced CD500 button panel with CD400 button panel? You didnt use the CD500 wirebox with canbus that the seller sent you?

Wiring changes has to be made.

The cd400 buttons will then work, you can't make the changes and expect a cd500 control panel to work.

Is there some kind of guide available, on what to change and where?
As Rusty says you cannot just swap one for another. There are wiring changes that need to be made. Rusty has retrofitted many and I've done a few . We had to work out what needed to be done and it took time so it's not something I'm willing to share nor Rusty I wouldn't think. You will probably find it needs reprogramming too.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
Well that sucks then. Based on replies in this thread...

(20:th-Nov-2017, 11:46:32)AstraRick Wrote: Problem solved , big thanks to Rusty2009

(3:rd-Apr-2017, 21:12:49)DNT Wrote: Ok, answering to my question , all you need to do in order to replace your CD500/DVD800 unit with an android one, is to use a CD400 button control panel, and cut the purple wire from the display (14:45 at the video) and connect it to the second empty pin slot at the connector plug (16:00 at the video).

.. I really hoped that it's something (at least semi-) simple to accomplish. That there's some know-how available that I just haven't found yet. At least OP got it working.. and couple of other guys as well. Plus that german guy in that video.

Need for programming is something new for me. Haven't seen it popping up in similar threads.

If this is really the case, then I'll probably have to scrap the whole project.
Just cut my losses and move on as I'm not aware that we have guys here that have figured it out how to do it. (and coming to UK to have it fitted by you guys just doesn't feel reasonable)
Hello, I also had the same problem with the 600 navi. But I found out that you can program all the buttons using the steering wheel button programing.
Cheers!
(30:th-Apr-2020, 21:14:21)tenretni Wrote: Hello, I also had the same problem with the 600 navi. But I found out that you can program all the buttons using the steering wheel button programing.
Cheers!

Interesting! So you're saying that you managed to get the original 600 panel working as it should just by using the button programming feature?
(1:st-May-2020, 12:27:19)martinl88 Wrote:
(30:th-Apr-2020, 21:14:21)tenretni Wrote: Hello, I also had the same problem with the 600 navi. But I found out that you can program all the buttons using the steering wheel button programing.
Cheers!

Interesting! So you're saying that you managed to get the original 600 panel working as it should just by using the button programming feature?

Yes and no there's not enough programmable buttons to do that but you can get as close as possible by not using the numeric keys.
                    Hello, Do you know which cables are for the steering wheel controls, i have a chinese radio and have to install cables, key1 and key2 and i have no clue which cables in the quadlock to use?? My old radio was cd400, opel meriva b  2011.
I have read everything but found no clear answer for this conversion, on video 8-pin plug in 4-pin plug in very interesting that is magic
Hello,

Trying to install an android head unit to replace my Navi 900. The only non working thing is the central console (no light, and buttons not working), is there a way to make it work ? (Just the volume/power button would be nice)

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navi 900 to Android head unit airainchoc 1 1,758 2:nd-Jul-2023, 09:03:15
Last Post: Rusty2009
  opel astra j keyless entry and remote start stop onurody 3 5,409 11:th-Sep-2021, 15:57:59
Last Post: SbVampire
  Bluetooth music streaming - does it work in your Astra...? UseThe4s 4 6,430 5:th-Apr-2021, 18:43:22
Last Post: UseThe4s
  Astra J GTC tailgate lock failed grahamf505 1 3,984 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:22:09
  Using existing dab aerial on android unit , pawex 19 8,453 15:th-Jul-2020, 07:09:08
Last Post: pawex
  Radio DAB - Not available mwryo 12 5,227 14:th-Jun-2020, 20:09:32
  Radio Flick19191 1 3,913 20:th-Nov-2019, 18:20:41
  Radio Flick19191 0 3,582 7:th-Oct-2019, 19:28:30
Last Post: Flick19191
  2014 Astra 1.6 Elite - No DAB / Bluetooth - Can I add? wsw 1 5,753 26:th-Feb-2019, 08:13:36
  Astra J Electric Plug jamietomlin 3 3,480 25:th-Dec-2018, 10:04:29

Who read this thread?
12 User(s) read this thread:
Rusty2009 (5:th-Jul-2023, 07:33:52), cpeter53 (27:th-Apr-2024, 06:54:39), airainchoc (20:th-Jul-2023, 12:18:24), Valentin (17:th-Jul-2023, 13:46:05), Azriel (10:th-Jul-2023, 13:14:42), mc92661 (29:th-Sep-2023, 18:16:59), Jnny (28:th-Nov-2023, 08:40:37), plasma (14:th-Nov-2023, 21:09:04), STHOP (7:th-Dec-2023, 11:25:36), dinamitar (16:th-Feb-2024, 19:48:36), mrheat (25:th-Dec-2023, 18:20:31), caneiv (15:th-Apr-2024, 11:09:28)