Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
break replacement

Break Replacement
Hi All,

So VX have just told me that my rear breaks are 80% worn and suggest that I get both the pads and discs changed....they said they know I won't be using them for the work so have no reason to try and rip me off so just wondering if people reckon that the discs really do need changing or is this generally not something that's required on a  car with 26k miles?

National tyres quoted me 256 quid for the whole lot of work, discs, pads and fitting.

Thanks

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...al-Astra-J

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...oval-5Door

easy job do it yourself once you have done it once it will save you ££££ over time
Cheers mate! Would defo like to look into doing it myself eventually but I'd have to buy all the kit to get the car up etc. Just for now I wanted to know if the discs really did need replacing ATM or just the breaks? Changing discs at 26k seems a bit early!

Pop to a small independent and ask them mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
front do wear quicker than the back like rusty says get someone to look at them
also you will get a better quote from your local garage steer clear of the dealers
Its the back ones they're saying need changing though...actually thinking of doing it myself as they're only 32 quid each for the discs!!

I had my front pads changed at 2nd service 12,172 miles the rears will be done at 3rd service (I use the engine to brake more than brakes) I think the VX pads are crap TBH.

The wife's Pug is only just due a brake, discs and shoe change after 3 years of ownerships and she covers way more miles than I do.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Yeah I've had the front pads done already, defo don't think the rear discs should be due a change any time soon though!

Need to get hold of a car jack and the thing to get the bolts off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra...20fc092dac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUXHA...3aa9bc05e5
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks mate! Pretty cheap, what's the second thing for?

The 2nd link has the wheel brace as it doesn't come in the pack with the Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I'm with you! Thanks doesn't look tooooo hard to do the breaks, just a bit unsure about getting the callipers off and being able to get them back on again!

For rears you will need to get a re-wind tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
No idea what one of those is! Haha...will have to do some research on this before I tackle it...only reason I was gonna pay someone to do it is that I don't have enough free time these days to be doing this kind of stuff myself and don't wanna rush it and mess it up

Check out this thread mate http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...oval-5Door

I tend to leave the brakes to my mechanic TBH.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers mate, yeah with something that can affect the safety of the car I think I may leave this to the pro's...especially with the amount I actually drive.

What I may do is source the parts myself and ask the local garage to fit them...if that will work out cheaper anyway...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTC Horn Replacement ed-b 1 1,580 12:th-Jul-2021, 08:53:37
Last Post: marktourino
  Battery replacement - AGM or regular everson38 1 1,317 22:nd-Jun-2021, 10:37:05
Last Post: MarkAP68
  Glow plug replacement - Things to consider everson38 13 4,436 20:th-Jun-2021, 17:44:37
Last Post: everson38
Replacement discs and pads Iamthestig 3 4,011 23:rd-May-2018, 18:31:42
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Flexride shock absorber replacement rlievens 3 4,369 28:th-Feb-2018, 08:25:21
Last Post: rlievens