Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
s led new showing numerous drl faults

New LED DRL's showing numerous faults
I have fitted (as per Tucpal's 'How to LED DRL error free' guide) but I am having a headache with faults that have thrown up. I have installed the resistors, wiring and Scotchlok clips and LED bulbs correctly. Firstly, the left DRL will light intermittlently but it will light on the sidelight OK.

And now the following faults show intermittently:

Check left dipped beam lamp
Check right dipped beam lamp

Check left Daylight running lamp
Check right Daylight running lamp

When the lights are switched to auto, sidelights and DRL's light OK when its dark. When it is light outside, DRL's do not light in auto mode.

(When I turn off the automatic lights feature, the DRL's stay off. I never noticed this with the PIAA bulbs as I thought the DRL's stayed lit no matter what)

ANY help appreciated as always, Graham
what bulbs have you used ?

and what load resisters ?

as long as you have used two loads on each DRL like this then they are correct

Bulbs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321215617110

Resistors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171396959845

The only slight difference between my installation and yours is that I have used two Scotchloks for the Negatives instead of putting three wires into one Scotchlok as per your diagram.
that is fine as long as both negatives from the loads are on the negative from the DRL holder
and one positive from each load goes to drl and side light
and both DRL,s have teo loads each left and right

i think the problem is the bulbs
do they dim down for side light
if you go to the how to and look at the last few posts from DNT
he talks about not all LED bulbs are set up for are set up
and shows how this can be corrected

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-HOW-...a-J-5-door
i need to put in the how to
too check the led bulbs work correctly
and they dim down for side light and drl
before you wire the loads in
if not the LED will need to have its pins move to the correct positions
OK Tucpal, you've given me something to work on. Will have to do it tomorrow as we've lost the light for today in Winsford. Thanks again
No problem i am sure DNT will enplane the led config
i will show how to reline the pins on the led later on for you

also the loads will cancel the errors for the different wattage bulbs
but you will still get errors if the bulb has blown or the led pins on the led are wrong
CHECK THE LAST POST IN THE LED DRL HOW TO MATE
I'm not too sure what is happening but I've just popped out now its dark and have had no faults at all with all lights working correctly. I'll check again the morning but I like the way you have spliced and soldered into the DRL wires, might have to do that myself when the weather warms up. Thanks Tucpal.
Ok mate if they play up again in the day light
it may be the auto lights but hope fully there sorted keep me updated

so have a good check tonight and see if all functions work correctly
Tucpal, does this diagram you done good for cars like mine without auto lights?

I ask because i cant remember if you have auto lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will work on all specs mate

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Lewis6317 Wrote:Tucpal, does this diagram you done good for cars like mine without auto lights?

I ask because i cant remember if you have auto lights

no i dont have auto lights and i really dont see why this would make any difference
Just re-checked the new DRL's and they're refusing to work during daylight. They will work however when I over-ride the auto lights onto manual but when turned back to auto I get the errors. I'm thinking it could be the bulbs?
no i dont think so if they work correctly on manual
and at night then this has to be the sensor for the auto lights
i really dont understand why they would not work in auto

rusty can you check the wiring and find out whats going on

but why do you need auto lights anyway
its not hard to turn the lights on when its dark
if they work well in Manuel and give no errors
you could just leave it like that for now
i will have look thou for you and try and work this out
The only difference in wiring is extra wires from the rain/light sensor to the BCM nothing more.

Everything else should work fine.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I take it the DRL is not turning on in daylight? Are you getting any errors to check the bulbs?

When on put your hand over the light sensor and see if side lights and headlights turn on in auto mode

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hi Rusty. The DRL's do not come on during the day but when I put my hand over the sensor, headlights/sidelights do illuminate OK. Yes, I get the 'Check left and right daylight running lamp' error. However, when my 'normal' DRL bulbs were in up until yesterday, I haven't had any errors or problems at all with the automatic feature.
I would say it's the bulb then mate if at night you will only get sidelight. Even if you over ride the switch at night the only way to get DRL is to turn them off. Otherwise it's just dipped turn 1 then main beam turn 2.

if that makes sense?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yes, I thought as much. I've decided to order the LED's recommended by Tucpal from HIDS Direct to see if this fixes the bug. Thanks for your input Rusty and also Tucpal. Cheers, Graham
make sure you take the loads off the wires
if you are using the standard bulbs
as they will blow if the loads are still on

the HIDS bulbs will work very well
test the bulbs work correct first
just ignore the errors for now
and when you are happy they dim down
and work for DRL then add the loads
to cancel the errors.
New LED's from HIDS Direct arrived and I'm still getting faults with 'Check right position lamp', 'Check left position lamp'. The problem seems to lie when the lights come on automatically at dusk/dark areas and when I manually turn the headlights on. Sometimes one or the other DRL will go out but happily come back on the day after. If anyone can scratch their head, then as always its appreciated. Could it be the 50w resistors or a relay?
Just a thought check your rear lights Lewis had this issue we spent ages mucking around in the end it was a rear bulb.

I doubt it is as the error would show all the time but worth checking.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
did you try the LED bulbs with out the loads first
if not try this and see how they are for a day
also check the bulbs are in the correct way and make sure they are dimming down for side light
if not turn the bulbs around in the holders till they do this
HI guys, I'll check the rear bulbs but I'm 99% sure I checked them last week. The LED's aren't dimming down so when I get more time on Sunday I'll turn them round and also try them without the loads. Thanks for your suggestions.
sounds like there the wrong way round
how did you get on mate ??
Hi Tucpal, I'm up in Oldham for a couple of days to visit family ( I live in Winsford nowadays) but I've managed to grab half an hour earlier to swap the new LED's around half a turn. Before I did, they were very bright and not dimming when I put sidelights/headlights on. After I swapped them, they are dimming and with no faults showing on the 'computer' screen. I only had the engine running for two minutes to check them so the real test will be over the next couple of days. The rear lights are all OK with no bulbs out. I hadn't realised there was a right or wrong way to put these bulbs in. Fingers crossed for now!
i am sure you will be fine now
it is a common mistake
and i have now added notes about this to the how to
OK, I have driven the car about today, including my journey from Oldham to Winsford and all seems OK with them at last. It was obviously that the bulbs had been put in the wrong way. Doh.....thanks to Tucpal and Rusty!!!
your welcome