Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
vibration pedal brake

Brake pedal vibration
Hi guys. Me and my neighbour recently changed my front pads. I didn't buy vx ones but just normal one from local motor factors.
All we changed was the pads and applied copper grease to the back.
I'm getting a horrible vibrating type of feeling under my foot when braking at low speed.
I've read on here about shimmed pads? Looked on the net and are the shims the metal clips which are at the top and bottom of the caliper?
If they are, could it be that the new pads don't fit these aswell as vx ones maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
i would look at the disc wear and did you grease the slider pins
vauxhall will only sell the new shims with the pad set
you really should always use genuine pads some aftermarket ones are bad and some good

check this as well look at the how to and the last post also.
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-brake-calipers
Ye checked the slider pins they still greased up under the rubber sleeve and the move easily.
Looks like this is only the second set of pads on there.
If I remove the pads again could I clean the metal clips (are these the shims??) or would I have to buy new ones once they are removed?
How would I check for disc wear? It's just been serviced and they said there's 10% wear on front pads and no advisories on the discs
Sorry for the questions

Using Tapatalk
the disc will get a lip on the top as it wears out
the old shims should clean up and be reusable just fine
it may be the new pads as you say are just not seated wright
kevin may know the answer
My initial thoughts are the ABS is activating.

Do you know what ABS feels like when activated, if so, how does it compare??

More info on type of vibration required.
Ye abs feels like pulsating, this feels more rough. If braking at speed its fine until you slow down nearly stopping. Spose feels like pads are worn away

Using Tapatalk
Ok, was there any rust on outer lip of disc? If so, then maybe little bits have been chipped off during the pad change, this can cause the fault.

If it is this, then just chip off the rest of the rust from the discs.
Ye think there was some on the edge of the disc, use a screwdriver carefully to lift it? We did grease the back of the pads maybe crap got stuck there?

Using Tapatalk
Just chap the rust off with a hammer
It also may be worth taking the pads back out and looking for cracks or wear marks on the pads if there is a lip at the top of the disc the new pads may be hitting the high part first and just bedding a grove in to the new pad if so it may just stop but check it out anyway

This is the disc on passenger side. I can see rust mark all the way around the disc which is just under the small lip. The drivers side has it too but not as bad.

Using Tapatalk
they are worn a bit what mileage are you on
28k but was serviced about a week ago and they were fine apparently

Using Tapatalk
My discs were gone at 29 well past there best

Just got back in. Even wear on the discs, still life left in them, no scoring, rust came away. Only thing I noticed was the caliper had a slight wobble but was on both sides. The bit that lifts up when loosening the bolt at the top. So tightened the top bolt as tight as possible. Not much wobble now and no more vibrating!! Car was cold when I took it back out so will see tomorrow on way to work.

Using Tapatalk
hopefully just nothing to worry about then lets hope you have sorted it out
Did I not put the toque settings in the how to?

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
To be honest I'd have never attempted doin things like this on my car without forums like these. I would've handed it to the garage to do. So I appreciated everyone's advice thanks

Using Tapatalk
Rusty2009 Wrote:Did I not put the toque settings in the how to?

Torque settings, what are they?!

Richie, I know it's fixed now, so just curious. I presume this vibration only occurred during very light braking?
Ye kev that's right. I can be on motorway and step hard on the pedal and its fine but when coming to a complete halt or slowing down to a crawl I felt it

Using Tapatalk
Kevin Wrote:Torque settings, what are they?!

I must admit I didn't use them as I only have big torque wrenches just did them up tight.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Same here, my torque wrench is the size of a long wheel bar so wouldn't get in the space

Using Tapatalk
richje100 Wrote:Just got back in. Even wear on the discs, still life left in them, no scoring, rust came away. Only thing I noticed was the caliper had a slight wobble but was on both sides. The bit that lifts up when loosening the bolt at the top. So tightened the top bolt as tight as possible. Not much wobble now and no more vibrating!! Car was cold when I took it back out so will see tomorrow on way to work.

Just wanted to confirm what action you took to correct the brake vibration? I've had a dealer fit new brake pads on the front of my Astra GTC and the driver’s side has a slight noise/vibration at very low speeds (20mph or less) which can be felt through the brake pedal, high speed braking its fine, did you tighten the brake caliper bolts to stop this?
Thanks
that would be the first thing to try
we have a how to here a very easy job to do

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...oval-5Door

also Kevin is real good at diagnosing this sort of thing
It did help a little, I ended up changing the discs and pads in the end a few weeks back and it's fine now. Only now I got to fit a new wheel stud!!! Flaming snapped one putting wheel back on!!!!

Using Tapatalk
Well, I had a look this weekend and there is no jack supplied with the car !!! just one of those stupid inflator kits.... anyway I managed to reach the 2 bolts holding the caliper and got a wrench on them, they seemed pretty tight but one did turn slightly so will see if it improves otherwise a trip back to the dealer who fitted the pads I feel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electrik brake noise!! blacknik 1 4,807 24:th-Feb-2020, 08:57:02
Last Post: Rusty2009
  brake calipers tucpal 64 38,232 23:rd-Feb-2020, 19:13:29
Last Post: blacknik
  Sinking Clutch Pedal t1mj1m 3 4,797 2:nd-Nov-2019, 10:23:40
  Brake Assist Warning Light duncboyd 8 15,862 19:th-Aug-2014, 07:52:40
  Brake noise Rusty2009 11 10,856 2:nd-May-2014, 20:13:50