Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
install unit m072 head android info s160

M072 (S160) Android Head Unit Install/Info
I have just snagged a J vxr and i had a good read of this entire thread, but not sure if this has been answered..

Does this unit maintain full functionality of the VXR, Sport and ECO buttons? 

Is there anything that doesn't work (ie steering wheel controls etc)

Are the chinese S160's the same? Because I'm in Oz, the exchange rate is a killer if we bought the one listed! 

Definately excited about this, thanks mates!
The vxr, sport and eco buttons clip out of the existing facia and clip into the new facia. Works fine.

Steering wheel controls all work.

Yeah S160 are all the same manufacturer. Astra J version is M072. There are other Android units out there which look similar but some of them have a different wiring harness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

I took a few more screen grabs this morning on the way to work.

Google play music

Spotify

Google nav

Google maps driving mode

kotix home screen

kotix Bluetooth music interface

main menu.

looks fancy
Going to install mine tomorrow.

Quick question is there actually any transport screws to remove from the drive as I've had a quick look but couldn't see any obvious ones.

Or am I just been stupid.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Dave, neither Sheppy nor I were able to find those transport screws in our units. Suspect that they didn't really happen.

@marcus01 I kept trying to click the pause buttons in your images getting frustrated it wasn't playing then clicked on it was only an image 
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(14:th-Feb-2017, 07:51:57)Rusty2009 Wrote: @marcus01 I kept trying to click the pause buttons in your images getting frustrated it wasn't playing then clicked on it was only an image 

Installed my unit finally today and Ive got a couple of issues.

1) The radio reception is none existent - all connected up fine (Astra GTC 2014)
2) IGo maps reports no map data available.
3) There is only one boot logo on the device.
4) Vehicle info in KM not miles - any way to change?
5) Any one have front parking sensors and when stopped unable to shift the image off the screen until you turn them off.
(19:th-Feb-2016, 19:44:11)sheppy1 Wrote: Hahaha it does look great doesn't it! And you don't have to have the antenna on show yanno... Rusty said it can be tucked up behind the glove box

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
I have the android 5 model and the DAB module, i tucked the antenn behind the glove compartment, and signal is very poor. Also the DAB app keeps crashing when I change Channel.

Sendt fra min EVA-L09 med Tapatalk
(18:th-Feb-2017, 17:43:50)Dave11 Wrote: Installed my unit finally today and Ive got a couple of issues.

1) The radio reception is none existent - all connected up fine (Astra GTC 2014)
2) IGo maps reports no map data available.
3) There is only one boot logo on the device.
4) Vehicle info in KM not miles - any way to change?
5) Any one have front parking sensors and when stopped unable to shift the image off the screen until you turn them off.

Astra GTC has amplified aerial I believe and the M072 is designed for none amplified I have heard, so you could possible try removing the power from the aerial to see if that helps.
Contact Rob at ICEBOX he will tell you what you need to bridge wiring wise on the GTC.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
The M072 used to ship with a working version of Igo maps which I suspect may have been cracked. They might have been stopped doing it going forward.

Personally I prefer Google maps anyway for the traffic updates. Here maps is pretty good as is sygic. I've also tried waze but still prefer Google maps.

I've not changed from km to MPH but I think Sheppy found a way around this. (we use km in Ireland)

Don't have factory parking sensors on the front but I remember someone else having that issue. (lad with the yellow gtc) I'll see if I can get him name for you.

I have been having the same trouble with my radio, I have e-mailed Rob and he said to try:

HI Daniel, my info provided below is in accordance with Insignia which we have experience radio reception issues. It may apply to Astra. Please also check my picture attached.

On some cars, the original cars antenna is amplified which means, it needs 12v to it to activate the amplifier. Although rare, it can have this and our cables are not designed for this type of antenna so a solution is to find the amp wire and add 12v to it. A way of finding this is to look at our pins in the connection block and if there any blank spaces with no pins then on these spaces, check to see if there is a connection on the original cars loom that connects to a pin in the original radio but not in our block with it being blank. If you find this cable meets the blank space then its probable, this is the wire that needs 12v to. You can then splice our yellow wire back and connect a bridge from this to the wire in the original power loom. But its always best to check wiring diagram for 100% accuracy. Please check on this and let me know if it resolves the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(19:th-Feb-2017, 09:49:24)marcus01 Wrote: The M072 used to ship with a working version of Igo maps which I suspect may have been cracked. They might have been stopped doing it going forward.

Personally I prefer Google maps anyway for the traffic updates. Here maps is pretty good as is sygic. I've also tried waze but still prefer Google maps.

I've not changed from km to MPH but I think Sheppy found a way around this. (we use km in Ireland)

Don't have factory parking sensors on the front but I remember someone else having that issue. (lad with the yellow gtc) I'll see if I can get him name for you.

Nope! No wag to change that. I even tried to ask KoTiX to edit the app for me and he said he doesn't know how to do it.. Even offered to pay him! Ha

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(20:th-Feb-2017, 17:02:20)sheppy1 Wrote:
(19:th-Feb-2017, 09:49:24)marcus01 Wrote: The M072 used to ship with a working version of Igo maps which I suspect may have been cracked. They might have been stopped doing it going forward.

Nope! No wag to change that. I even tried to ask KoTiX to edit the app for me and he said he doesn't know how to do it.. Even offered to pay him! Ha

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk
OK, thought you had got around it somehow.

(20:th-Feb-2017, 14:33:00)Dan1992 Wrote: I have been having the same trouble with my radio, I have e-mailed Rob and he said to try:

HI Daniel, my info provided below is in accordance with Insignia which we have experience radio reception issues. It may apply to Astra. Please also check my picture attached.

On some cars, the original cars antenna is amplified which means, it needs 12v to it to activate the amplifier. Although rare, it can have this and our cables are not designed for this type of antenna so a solution is to find the amp wire and add 12v to it. A way of finding this is to look at our pins in the connection block and if there any blank spaces with no pins then on these spaces, check to see if there is a connection on the original cars loom that connects to a pin in the original radio but not in our block with it being blank. If you find this cable meets the blank space then its probable, this is the wire that needs 12v to. You can then splice our yellow wire back and connect a bridge from this to the wire in the original power loom. But its always best to check wiring diagram for 100% accuracy. Please check on this and let me know if it resolves the issues.

Just sorted this out today, it's the green and yellow wire.

All working as expected now.

Sheppy, does you aux port still work? I've tried mine and it doesn't seem to work. I'm only interested because I'm thinking of fitting a Chromecast audio for wireless streaming. I find streaming with Bluetooth is sometimes a bit patchy especially if you are streaming Spotify at the same time on your phone etc.

(25:th-Feb-2017, 14:00:22)Dave11 Wrote:
(20:th-Feb-2017, 14:33:00)Dan1992 Wrote: I have been having the same trouble with my radio, I have e-mailed Rob and he said to try:

Just sorted this out today, it's the green and yellow wire.

All working as expected now.

@Dave11 Thanks for this mate I have done the same and it has worked even my DAB is working

Need one of these! @Tonto any chance I could meet to have a try of yours. I'm only in washington so could meet somewhere.

(6:th-Apr-2017, 08:54:52)bannan Wrote: Need one of these! @Tonto any chance I could meet to have a try of yours. I'm only in washington so could meet somewhere.

Yeah sure mate, we're going to CarPro in Dalkeith on Sunday 16th if you fancy a look up. Quite a few of us going!

Hi Mate,
          Out of the kit what's the roundish speaker looking thing? Can one disassemble the external mic?  
Cheers
(6:th-Apr-2017, 14:03:03)Nuko-san Wrote: Hi Mate,
          Out of the kit what's the roundish speaker looking thing? Can one disassemble the external mic?  
Cheers
The roundish looking speaker thing is indeed a speaker. I think the speaker for the indicators are in the cd400 somewhere so this is there to replace it.

I can confirm that you do need it as I have tried the install without it. Silent indicators are eerie.

(6:th-Apr-2017, 14:12:53)marcus01 Wrote:
(6:th-Apr-2017, 14:03:03)Nuko-san Wrote: Hi Mate,
Cheers
The roundish looking speaker thing is indeed a speaker. I think the speaker for the indicators are in the cd400 somewhere so this is there to replace it.

I can confirm that you do need it as I have tried the install without it. Silent indicators are eerie.

Cheers, seeing the photos I was concussed I still wonder which unit I should go for, there was a mention of the Android 5.1, which someone here had bad experience, there's the M072 which apparently is the "Safe" option, and then in the Iceboxauto there's the Android 6.0.1 unit with double the ram and storage... at a price increase of £1 compared to the M072... (if something looks too good it probably isn't). Anyone knows what is the actual difference between them?
I'm looking at getting the B5754 Android 6.0
If you consider that these HUs run fairly heavily customized versions of Android, you need a version that is stable, mature and supported. The 4.4.4 version on the m072 is just that and what's more you can get a custom rom from kotix if you want. Roadnav. Com supports the unit as well.

Very little out there on the net with regards to those newer Android units. Consider how bad those cheap Android TV boxes that run supposedly great hardware but have the latest OS but rubbish customised software on them. They are almost unusable, I have one.

(6:th-Apr-2017, 09:11:55)Tonto Wrote:
(6:th-Apr-2017, 08:54:52)bannan Wrote: Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah sure mate, we're going to CarPro in Dalkeith on Sunday 16th if you fancy a look up. Quite a few of us going!

Cheers. Busy that weekend but thanks. Think I will order as it looks impressive.

(7:th-Apr-2017, 08:15:53)bannan Wrote:

Cheers. Busy that weekend but thanks. Think I will order as it looks impressive.

No worries mate, let me know how you get on!

(7:th-Apr-2017, 21:57:51)Tonto Wrote:
(7:th-Apr-2017, 08:15:53)bannan Wrote:

No worries mate, let me know how you get on!

Well it's ordered so hopefully shouldn't take too long possibly next week as I emailed icebox and they said they are expecting some in on tuesday.

Nice one mate! Mine only took 8days from order to arrive

Has anyone got Torque running well on the S160?

I have Torque lite installed but never set it up yet lol.

(8:th-Apr-2017, 11:42:14)Tonto Wrote: I have Torque lite installed but never set it up yet lol.

My S160 is being delivered on tuesday. I've been looking at the kotix skins are they worth changing to? What's pros and cons?

The main benefit of the kotix rom is the extended user partition. Can be configured to 2, 4 or 8 gig. Standard is 1 gig IIRC. It also has a bunch of skins for the radio and music player. Also rooted.

(16:th-Apr-2017, 11:19:31)marcus01 Wrote: The main benefit of the kotix rom is the extended user partition. Can be configured to 2, 4 or 8 gig. Standard is 1 gig IIRC. It also has a bunch of skins for the radio and music player. Also rooted.

Cheers. When using kotix do all of the the steering wheel buttons and existing cd400 buttons still work?

Yeah, everything works the same. I think he has fixed a few bugs as well. On the radio app the station names can be saved as preset buttons instead of the mhz.

I've just finished installing my S160. First impressions are great. Wasn't as bad to fit as I thought, only took 2 hours. The hardest part was getting lock/unlock and hazard button out of the old housing.

A few of questions.

1. When the ignition is off I can't change the volume or turn the stereo off and doesn't turn off by itself.

2. When on a bluetooth call the caller is reporting a mechanical clicking even when the car is stationary and with no engine/fans running etc.

3. How do you preset stations to buttons 1-6?

Any ideas anyone?

Does the unit work with HappyBlue? If so can one use it at the same time as calling/streaming music from your phone?
(18:th-Apr-2017, 22:11:34)bannan Wrote: I've just finished installing my S160. First impressions are great. Wasn't as bad to fit as I thought, only took 2 hours. The hardest part was getting lock/unlock and hazard button out of the old housing.

A few of questions.

1. When the ignition is off I can't change the volume or turn the stereo off and doesn't turn off by itself.

2. When on a bluetooth call the caller is reporting a mechanical clicking even when the car is stationary and with no engine/fans running etc.

Any ideas anyone?

Point 1. As per FB thread.

Point 2. I've not encountered that, perhaps try the external mic. If you have the external mic already installed, unplug it and use the internal mic.

Point 3. To use the 1-6 preset buttons you need to do a scan for stations and the unit will assign the buttons automatically. Unfortunately, you get what you get. Not brilliant.....

(19:th-Apr-2017, 17:48:48)marcus01 Wrote:
(18:th-Apr-2017, 22:11:34)bannan Wrote: I've just finished installing my S160. First impressions are great. Wasn't as bad to fit as I thought, only took 2 hours. The hardest part was getting lock/unlock and hazard button out of the old housing.

A few of questions.

Any ideas anyone?

Point 1. As per FB thread.

Point 2. I've not encountered that, perhaps try the external mic. If you have the external mic already installed, unplug it and use the internal mic.

Point 3. To use the 1-6 preset buttons you need to do a scan for stations and the unit will assign the buttons automatically. Unfortunately, you get what you get. Not brilliant.....

Haha. Cheers for that. So just the noise on bluetooth calls so sort. Still happy with it though. I can live with the other 2 if that's just how they work. Need to work out to change the boot up logo as their is only the G one in the ones to select, so presume I will have to put one on an SD card then copy into the folder but does it need rooting to do that?

Today I got my wifi obd dongle as the bluetooth version doesn't work with the s160. Now it works perfect. I like having torque so I can keep an eye on the dpf so I know when it's doing a regen. I was going to fit an led to the rear demister so i know when it's doing one. But now I don't need to as I found something even better. The torque widget which lets you have a floating widget and it works on all screens including sat nav.

Obd dongle for torque looks good. No you don't need to root the unit to change the boot logo. I think you can change it under car settings or just find the folder where the logos are stored and create a default one/delete the rest of them.

I've been having a bit of a play with torque and making my own theme. Looking good so far. Not a fan of the standard theme and want it to look a bit better.

Hi,
Could someone explain to me what does the Kotix upgrade actually add to the unit other than fancy skins etc.?

Main question really is - does it improve the boot up time?
Re: Kotix rom. Boot time is more or less the same. This main benefit of the rom is than the system partition is moved up to 800meg and the user data partition allows 2,4 or 8 gig instead of the 1gig factory setting. At some point you will run out of space to install new apps. Etc.

https://www.roadnav.com/forum/firmware-a...-change-it

I noticed something today that the S160 does on the 2.0 cdti when the car starts a DPF regen. I knew it was due a regen soon so I had Torque Pro running so I could see the DPF temperature, I was driving and I noticed the screen turn black and it displayed the heater temperature as though I had adjusted the control, it also displayed a red rear demist logo on the screen. It flashed up for a few seconds then went back to the normal screen, but I noticed the dpf temperature start to rise straight away and it started a regen. When the regen finished the black screen/heater temperature apeared again and the dpf temperature dropped back to normal.

Yeah it works like that. The info button will also bring up that popup screen to see if it's complete. I. E. Just in case you miss regen finished pop-up.

Not sure what you get the black screen though?. Mine doesn't.

(8:th-May-2017, 07:38:32)marcus01 Wrote: Yeah it works like that. The info button will also bring up that popup screen to see if it's complete. I. E. Just in case you miss regen finished pop-up.

Not sure what you get the black screen though?. Mine doesn't.

I don't get a regen finished pop up ever. My astra still has the old software as I've got a dtuk box on and it probably would have stopped it working.

Doubt that the dtuk box has anything to do with it. By popup screen I mean the heater controls screen that pops up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Fit Sub To CD400 Head Unit TUFFKNUX 138 113,498 20:th-May-2021, 09:19:58
Last Post: h4r7y
  How to Install aftermarket head unit Rusty2009 55 54,100 14:th-Mar-2021, 15:16:56
Last Post: GTC-Nut
  Navi 950 with touch screen info Rusty2009 9 6,223 25:th-Feb-2021, 13:59:32
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Android RV5754 factory settings password Amazingusername 3 3,495 7:th-Nov-2020, 16:08:03
Last Post: cro55m
  Battery drain Android tesla style head unit rayvo1 4 3,923 9:th-Sep-2020, 21:05:31
Last Post: rayvo1
  Sports Tourer DAB+ on Android Headunit MikeyP247 2 2,840 2:nd-Nov-2019, 17:11:28
Last Post: niteram
  Dash cam on Android unit robk999 2 9,648 2:nd-Nov-2019, 10:30:30
Last Post: Rusty2009
  CD400 buttons not working Android head unit install mephisto 4 7,627 27:th-Oct-2019, 17:30:00
Last Post: mephisto
  Front DVR android S160 M072 NEATH-LAD 3 3,120 4:th-Jul-2019, 19:07:39
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera sheppy1 64 38,854 9:th-Jan-2019, 15:07:53
Last Post: Shorty5

Who read this thread?
6 User(s) read this thread:
Rusty2009 (15:th-Aug-2023, 06:53:51), marktourino (16:th-Jun-2023, 08:34:55), airainchoc (25:th-Jun-2023, 17:08:37), Barbar81 (25:th-Sep-2023, 15:59:16), exhippykev (20:th-Jun-2023, 21:44:57), dinamitar (7:th-Feb-2024, 13:52:28)