Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a regarding hid insignia upgrade needed for 2010 advice

Advice needed regarding HID upgrade for a 2010 Insignia
Hello everyone!

I am the owner of a 2010 Insignia that is factory equipped with a pair of halogen headlamps. I should also mention it has headlamp washers and manual leveling. 

I use this car daily mostly to and from work. During autumn / winter I finish work after night fall and my daily commute includes a 30 km piece of road through an unlit field that has been known to have the occasional jaywalking rabbit or other, larger, 4 hoofed creature.

I recently drove a friend's car equipped with factory HIDs. The light output, the crisp cut off and the uniform light distribution made my halogen lamps feel like candles by comparison and I've since been considering upgrading my siggy with a pair of HIDs but I don't really know where to start. So far, these are the options I came up with:

• Install a pair of new halogen bulbs (the current set is as old as the car itself) and see how much of an improvement it makes
  • Get an HID kit, blind any oncoming driver, have a rubbish light pattern and also break some laws (worst idea of the bunch, I believe)
  • Hack the current lamp units to install a lens and an HID kit which may result in a decent result and, as long as I don't ruin the lights, might prove cost effective
  • Do it properly and install the OEM HID headlamps and all that it ensues. This is the most expensive of all options as the OEM units themselves are quite hefty priced, nevermind the self leveling, the wiring and programming (which I wasn't able to find out if it is necessary).
  • While the OEM self leveling, adaptive headlamps sound nice, I lived with static headlights up to this point, I could live with them longer. That being said, the last option would be to buy and use an aftermarket head lamp unit and install an HID kit. 
As far as I can tell, the last option would constitute the best compromise in regards to the end result and the cost. I can get myself these or these which can use either halogen or HID and are compatible with the existing wiring loom so I can plug in an HID kit as well. What I do not know is how good these aftermarket headlights actually are. Another concern is the effect this would have on incoming traffic. Even if it would have a lens, it won't self-level...

Can anyone chime in and offer an advice or an opinion as to what the best option would be and why?

Messages In This Thread
Advice needed regarding HID upgrade for a 2010 Insignia - by i.rosca - 14:th-Dec-2016, 20:42:17

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cd 400 upgrade to navi 600 need help goose9029 6 4,469 14:th-Feb-2024, 07:52:16
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Insignia vx flat steering wheel Anthonwr 1 2,747 25:th-Aug-2021, 11:41:29
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  insignia cluster into astra? Tylerrattv 48 35,874 30:th-Jul-2021, 18:27:37
Last Post: theendfear
  Insignia odometer is locked mileage no display Robsterw1980 1 1,816 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:14:20
  parking and cluster upgrade Maniacu 5 9,654 8:th-Sep-2019, 13:06:46
Last Post: andre_rf
  IPC Upper Display Speedo Upgrade BL25 1 2,749 6:th-Sep-2019, 12:48:30
  2011 insignia satnav Drow insignia 1 2,703 22:nd-Jan-2019, 17:15:39
  insignia fog lights preparation zzattack 17 11,510 11:th-Jun-2017, 12:36:27
Last Post: zzattack
  Installing 2013 intellilink nav unit and trim on a 2010 Insignia i.rosca 5 8,463 13:th-Apr-2017, 13:52:33
Last Post: i.rosca
  Brake & Disc Upgrade Turner_SRi 23 15,087 21:st-Sep-2014, 16:05:24
Last Post: JohnL