VXOC Astra-J/GTC

Full Version: Progress thread Rusty2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Looks awesome mate, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
love the theme you got mate for the navi....
Ok so it's been abit of up & down for me with the car the last few months.

The car has been in the dealers since Thursday morning due to the overboost issue again.

I'm convinced they are driving it around and someone has taken it home for the weekend, this has made me finally buy a tracker device for which I've brought this

[attachment=838]

It's a rewire security nano TK102.

Hey Rusty,
I have read your thread and must say the car looks great, i noticed you updated the screen inbetween the speedo and rev counter to the new layout. How did you go by this please? Cheers
Ok so I got my car back Monday.

They replaced the SCV and the car seems fine now feels much better & my MPG has started going back up to.

But while they had my car they used it as a taxi to ferry staff between branches, also used for a member of staff to home in and as a mobile disco to point the speakers were distorting the music.

Another member of staff was making phone calls while driving.

Eden's MD attitude is they can do what they like with my car while it's "in there care" & he wishes "he never gave me the VIP treatment".

There is also a scratch on the passenger side wing that wasn't there when I dropped it off, but like an idiot I didn't check it before taking it away.

[attachment=841]
not good mate go to trading standards
My car was recently in for its second service at the main Vauxhall Dealer in Leeds.

I left my dash cam in the car, it's not hidden so could be seen. After completing the service, they took my VXR out for two road tests and visited the local McDonalds as well.

The camera captured their enthusiastic driving and the drive through visit. To cut a long storey short, this behaviour must go on all the time. As the camera captured their antics, the service manager refunded my money. Garages cannot use your car without your permission, I would report this to the police as they should explain to you that they will need to do a road test and use trade plates whilst doing it. Not use it as a taxi, this is wrong and needs reporting!
I always leave my camera in as it's hard wired. I check it without fail to see if anybody has driven my car when it's been left with them. I'll do the same when I leave it with APH in Birmingham when I go on my jollies

My camera they normally unplug as I caught them out telling me lies.

They can clearly see the camera.

Here's a small clip of the one who used his mobile while driving.

Idiots! That's shocking!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep in your insurance it says that anyone using your car must have your permission and if its a vauxhall dealer go to vauxhall directly and also see if they have security footage and tell the police as srea064 said

I'm waiting to hear back from Vauxhall I sent an email direct Vauxhall's MD he's passed it onto the head of complaints.

I can't the Police will do anything.
(9:th-Apr-2017, 13:31:09)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]My camera they normally unplug as I caught them out telling me lies.

Should have turned it off before you left the building. Clearly common practise then.

(11:th-Apr-2017, 02:34:47)bhalay207 Wrote: [ -> ]
(9:th-Apr-2017, 13:31:09)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]My camera they normally unplug as I caught them out telling me lies.

Should have turned it off before you left the building. Clearly common practise then.

Yep i agree with you! Its disgusting that they think they can use our cars

I'm thinking of getting the same rims as there is on sale here in Australia from a GTC as well. I have the 5 door sports tourer in SE/Elite trim (its called 'Select' here in Australia when it was sold) so standard suspension.

Do you have a recent photo of your car side on with the standard suspension, also what tire size do you have 235 40 R19? The GTC ones are slightly bigger with 45 series.
(21:st-Apr-2017, 01:30:13)sanj424 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking of getting the same rims as there is on sale here in Australia from a GTC as well. I have the 5 door sports tourer in SE/Elite trim (its called 'Select' here in Australia when it was sold) so standard suspension.

Do you have a recent photo of your car side on with the standard suspension, also what tire size do you have 235 40 R19? The GTC ones are slightly bigger with 45 series.

I don't but will get one for you when I next go out.

Yes tyres are 235/40R19.
It's been a little while since I did anything so here we are. 

Newest retrofit factory fitted the Infinity sound system

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]
Nice work mate, looks like a really easy, beginners retro fit that everyone should give a go lol
(2:nd-Aug-2017, 09:11:55)stigeye Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work mate, looks like a really easy, beginners retro fit that everyone should give a go lol

Lol, The dash doesn't have to come out I just wanted to get all the wires ran nicely as if it came out the factory. but I then found myself spending 2 days re-running all the other retrofit wiring I'd added so they look factory and also tidied up any additional wiring I've added for other things.
Good call, I always find myself spending 20 minutes on figuring out how to run wires properly and then 5 minutes to actually route them. And then when finished I find myself rerouting them once or twice more Smile
Well nothing major to report but the car passed her 3rd MOT today without any issues, tomorrow is her service.
Got a couple of pics while she was having her service.

[Image: e1872afefedc9a99cf985e51b9f24d32.jpg]

[Image: 69d7135caa55fbb29453ebe59f5cca4d.jpg]

Hi , great build thread has given me a LOT of ideas for my sports tourer I'm picking up soon.

I know what my build theme for the car will be and would love to change the needles out to being white with a green LED for illumination and noticed you have gotten all white needles here.

Are these something you bought, or is it the original red sanded down?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
(7:th-Oct-2017, 13:55:18)umognog Wrote: [ -> ]Hi , great build thread has given me a LOT of ideas for my sports tourer I'm picking up soon.

I know what my build theme for the car will be and would love to change the needles out to being white with a green LED for illumination and noticed you have gotten all white needles here.

Red needles I just used some Halfords rubbing compound to remove the red.

I did a green conversion for @Tonto which will be coming back to me soon if your interested in any parts?
(11:th-Oct-2017, 07:45:26)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]
(7:th-Oct-2017, 13:55:18)umognog Wrote: [ -> ]Hi , great build thread has given me a LOT of ideas for my sports tourer I'm picking up soon.

Red needles I just used some Halfords rubbing compound to remove the red.

I did a green conversion for @Tonto which will be coming back to me soon if your interested in any parts?
Might possibly want the display if it is up-level. Picked it up yesterday and paid more attention to what had learned from the differences in here.

Think I have what is referred to as a mid-level display? Full size lcd, but shows one page at a time rather than multiple readings at the same time.

The (sort of) downside for me is the programming, i am all the way up in Scumdee (Dundee) so it's a heck of a round trip to resolve it. It's only a downside as it would be a fun drive, just difficult getting time before next summer.

Beyond the display I will probably pass as it is a blue & green combo.

I read earlier this morning that you did a two-colour change in the centre console ambient light, do you happen to know which thread I will see a picture of what that looked like?

No it just the mid level.
If you PM you reg/vin I can look into you spec and getting a multiline.

You wouldn’t need to travel it can be done via the post.

Ok the blue I can ones I can change to green.

No ive never done one of them multi coloured not sure how that would work.

Cheers Rusty.

I've been having a think about it for a while and suspect I will be tinkering with an attiny or an atmega controllers and some double sided PCB, but want to take the IPC and gator units apart to look at space for it all first as the microcontrollers will also require Bluetooth to sync & to allow me to reprogramme anything that is off.

Will pm you the reg for now though to know what the options are for the display. Had no idea the reprogramming could be done by post, need to learn a lot more about how this works with modern cars, vci request etc just for my own understanding of limitations and requirements.

Whilst you a real reading, loved the rear reflector LED/double reverse light upgrade!

While nothings been done to car it did get poorly & sadly needed yet another DPF pressure sensor not even a year after it had been replaced.

Well it was in with Penton their Tech said the DPF was highly saturated & needed to be cleaned out (not covered under warranty) & a software update on the ECU which again was not covered under warranty.

I said the DPF was only 68% full (when I checked when it went into limp mode) that had gone up 72% after driving to dealership So I said it'll clear out on the way home.
In regards to ECU update I declined that as I can do that myself for far less than what they want to charge me.

The drive to dealership wasn't very nice no turbo and slow, coming home however was great fun and I was smiling all the way it did a regen no problem I've just got to see what the DPF % is at which I'll do later today.
They annoy me saying crap like dpf saturation isn't covered by warranty when the issue was caused by an item that is covered by warranty.
Yeah and me, last time I had to do a full oil and filter change too as there was 1L of diesel in the oil.

The part with the updates annoys me. I’m sorry but Vauxhall’s have issued an update because they have found a fault with the current software so that should be carried out free of charge too.

At least the new dealership isn’t using the “software excuse” so far.

Needed some new tyres as the 19’s were getting low and not gripping well.

I opted to pay £96 more for 4 18” tyres as opposed to 2 19” tyres.

So got the 18’s out the loft fitted the TPMS valves @sheppy1 sold me.

[Image: 5da62124ce70a1bfaaa95f4e1cd02d52.jpg]

[Image: 97b8252549a215d93d197a4b58b6b912.jpg]

[Image: 4cd266ccf1a78a74f0ca35f7f5c2a0c1.jpg]

I also used the 60% off at GSF to buy myself 2 SRI rear springs so I can get the 10mm drop back (which will be happening Monday).

Hi Rusty do you know if it's possible to retro fit the TPMS? The 19's look so much better though...
I’m dreading the day I need tires, I’ve got 19’s too

(27:th-Jan-2018, 12:09:32)Steveb19111978 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Rusty do you know if it's possible to retro fit the TPMS? The 19's look so much better though...

Yes it can be I retrofitted mine.
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...rofit-TPMS

(27:th-Jan-2018, 12:36:02)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m dreading the day I need tires, I’ve got 19’s too

I just can decide what to do now sell the 19's or keep them and slower buy new tyres.
I do much prefer the 19's for looks.
(27:th-Jan-2018, 12:55:48)Rusty2009 Wrote: [ -> ]
(27:th-Jan-2018, 12:09:32)Steveb19111978 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Rusty do you know if it's possible to retro fit the TPMS? The 19's look so much better though...

Yes it can be I retrofitted mine.
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...rofit-TPMS

(27:th-Jan-2018, 12:36:02)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m dreading the day I need tires, I’ve got 19’s too

I just can decide what to do now sell the 19's or keep them and slower buy new tyres.
I do much prefer the 19's for looks.

Thanks Rusty. TPMS Looks expensive, I think I'll give it a miss. BTW could you not get a set of budgets for the 19's?
I'm off to Salisbury again Monday due to a failed ABS sensor.

Took some work getting them to tell me if it was covered under life time warranty.

TBH wish I'd brought the part locally for £15 and fitted it myself but as it's covered by warranty I might as well cover myself in case something else on the ABS system fails.
Looking good so far need to start sorting mine out again

So went to Salisbury they claimed not covered as it wasn’t the sensor but in fact the drive shaft washer that failed. Wanted £120 to fix. I politely declined that.

So got the part for £1.94 and helped my mechanic while we put the SRI springs back on.

Upon taking it all apart we found the sensor to be damaged also so I need to replace that.

We also checked the n/s and that washer was also close to failing so I grabbed another one.

New washer.

[Image: 5efbd69c748dda04d97b579a2e1ec8d9.jpg]

Spread eagle.

[Image: e27d0af2a930e74b6056f25a5588c93d.jpg]

[Image: a96fc679d79e9319448b03af07318ed1.jpg]

I’m also trying to talk the Mrs into allowing me to buy my bi-turbo exhaust.

Those washes are prone to shattering and damaging the hub centre on the GTC. Seen quite a few posts on facebook where they have broken up and caused abs faults. I purchased 2 from VX when I had our car lowered so we didn't get the same problem.
(15:th-Feb-2018, 13:39:08)stigeye Wrote: [ -> ]Those washes are prone to shattering and damaging the hub centre on the GTC. Seen quite a few posts on facebook where they have broken up and caused abs faults. I purchased 2 from VX when I had our car lowered so we didn't get the same problem.

I didn't see them posts, at least the hub wasn't damaged thankfully.

My mechanic said they were put together dry at the factory which won't of helped the issue so we put some grease on.

I picked up my new new sensor yesterday £22.00 for Delphi one (I would think the VX branded ones are Delphi) so I can't see them saying I've not used parts of equal quality.
The Mrs agreed I could buy the bi-turbo exhaust & she also paid for it .

Cool

I just brought these too,

[Image: 84663d88082961ae3e1730bd28218379.jpg]

Been after them for awhile but they wouldn’t drop to the price I was willing to pay till now.

Are they a straight swap?

(16:th-Feb-2018, 21:47:31)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: [ -> ]Are they a straight swap?

Dicko said as long as they come off an Astra J VXR then yes, even the fronts.

Getting your missus to pay for the exhaust, you must be quite a salesman Rusty. Smile

(18:th-Feb-2018, 17:10:02)marcus01 Wrote: [ -> ]Getting your missus to pay for the exhaust, you must be quite a salesman Rusty. Smile

, well like she said I’ve been waiting for quite some time.
I think it helped I spoilt her on Wednesday .

Mmmm the force is strong in this one

rusty those failing washers were causing any knocks that you heard inside the car when accelerating ?
(26:th-Feb-2018, 02:03:30)Jonika21 Wrote: [ -> ]rusty those failing washers were causing any knocks that you heard inside the car when accelerating ?

No they weren't, I have been told by a Vauxhall tech (some may know him from the Facebook group Tommy) that the washers aren't needed and & he never replaces them, so I'll whip mine out.

On another note I replaced the sensor & guess what the fault is still there. I spent yesterday swapping the sensor to n/s & n/s to o/s to see if the fault moved but it didn't. So I've ordered a new Genuine GM hub at a cost of £147.

Now I guess my warranty should really be covering the cost the new sensor & hub but I have a feeling they would use the broken washer as the reason (which isn't covered as their get out clause)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9