Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to f40 linkage box adjust how gear

How-to Adjust Gear Linkage F40 Box
How-to Adjust Gear linkage
Please note this is on a F40 box

1, Remove the mat, storage tray & gear gator.

2, Then you need to release the gear linkage there are two but could only get a good pic of 1 of them, use a screw driver and pull the black ring black (once fully done you see the blue square button rise fully up)

3, Next you need to unclip the gear knob there two tabs one each side just push them in and pull the blue ring up and fully remove the gear knob

4, Turn the gear knob 180 degrees and put it back on the stick (no need to lock the blue ring down)

There are two holes for it it slot in (I've marked where they should be)

Now you need to get under the bonnet.

5, Un-clip the ECU wiring from the battery tray (there are two)

6, Un-clip the ECU from the battery tray and carefully place to one side.

7, The tab my finger is on and the linkage my finger is pointing to are the ones we need to move now.

You need to push the linkage back while pushing the black tab in (you need to make sure the black tab goes back fully like so)

Next step is back in the car.

8, You now need to push the two blue buttons in the on the linkage (you know they have fully seated as you will hear a click).

9, Remove the gear gator and turn it back round 180 degrees.

10, back under the bonnet and pull the black tab out.

Now back in the car & run though the gears if you are happy replace the ECU and wiring and put the inside back together, If you are not happy repeat the above step until you are happy.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Nice write up Rusty, will check mine prior to fitting my short shifter

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nice write up bud, good info
nice well done
Thanks chaps, I know there is one on the VXR forum and also it can be found on the online workshop also in the Haynes manual but it was not 100% clear which bit of gear linkage you needed to move in the engine bay so hopefully this will be clearer for all.

I must admit I have been out on a road and it's much better I did the process twice but I think it needs 1 more time just to iron it out totally so I'm happy and I saved a few quid doing it myself
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Thanks chaps, I know there is one on the VXR forum and also it can be found on the online workshop also in the Haynes manual but it was not 100% clear which bit of gear linkage you needed to move in the engine bay so hopefully this will be clearer for all.

I must admit I have been out on a road and it's much better I did the process twice but I think it needs 1 more time just to iron it out totally so I'm happy and I saved a few quid doing it myself

What does it improve?? Smoother??? Might get you to do this at trax lol
Yes mate much smoother gear change no notchy or fighting to get it in, like I said one more time and reckon it will be like the day I picked her up.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Rusty2009 Wrote:Yes mate much smoother gear change no notchy or fighting to get it in, like I said one more time and reckon it will be like the day I picked her up.

Gonna change the gear box oil next Saturday and if that doesn't sort it, can you adjust it at trax for me please
Just done this took all of 5mins. Not test drove it yet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cameron UK Wrote:can you adjust it at trax for me please

If I'm there still no new date yet, but it is real easy to do and only takes a few minutes to do.

cornishtaz Wrote:Just done this took all of 5mins. Not test drove it yet.

Cool keep us updated mate, also can you keep us updated on the short shifter as we both have F40 boxes.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Just been looking through the TSB's and there is one for the gear linkage cables.

#15-E-3014: F40, M32 Transmission - Hard or impossible to shift gears - (2015-01-22)

Please see below link

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/download/VXOC%20d...ission.pdf
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(25:th-May-2015, 14:15:59)Rusty2009 Wrote: Just been looking through the TSB's and there is one for the gear linkage cables.

#15-E-3014: F40, M32 Transmission - Hard or impossible to shift gears - (2015-01-22)

Please see below link

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/download/VXOC%20d...ission.pdf

Will this fix improve a sloppy gearchange between 2nd and 3rd in particular?
I’ve been Googling this for a while to try to determine what gearbox symptoms adjusting the gearbox linkage would alleviate. Mines a bit notchy.

Also I’m considering having a short shifter fitted would a gearbox linkage adjustment still be beneficial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A gear linkage adjustment does help solve the notchy gear change.

So I would say if it's notchy do the adjustment then once your happy fit the short shifter.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Tried this today, got as far as taking the ecu out then I could not recognise anything from your pictures!? I have a 2.0cdti GTC 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks like they've used a different part there.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Think this guide maybe more relevant for mine, guessing it must be the age of the car???

https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/as...djustment/

Just need to make sense of it. From what I can gather you follow your guide up until you push the tab in, in the guide above it looks like you put the special tool through the control housing then go back in the car and reset the blue clips. I think!
just a drill bit or an allen key it's only to old it in place.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks for this guide rusty, I've installed a short shifter to try and get rid of the clunky and notchy gear changes. It's still a bit notchy though and wanting to try this. Do you suggest I remove the short shifter and re-install the default one before I try this? or will it be fine with the short shifter left in.
(6:th-Jul-2019, 06:43:16)Richy-G Wrote: Thanks for this guide rusty, I've installed a short shifter to try and get rid of the clunky and notchy gear changes. It's still a bit notchy though and wanting to try this. Do you suggest I remove the short shifter and re-install the default one before I try this? or will it be fine with the short shifter left in.

I've not fitted a short shifter myself yet so I wouldn't like to say, but I think it should be ok.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... tried this on my 2014 astra today and got as far as trying to reset the blue tabs on my linkage cables.... for the life of me 5hey would NOT budge.... I pushed pretty damn hard down and they wont do anything. Scared of pushing too hard and breaking something, probs gonna put it back together now as I've spent over an hour on this 1 step with no luck at all:/
Just spent like an hour without any luck trying to push the blue tabs in on the linkage cables. No movement whatsoever, I've done all steps up till here, dwnt figure out why it's not working, any tips?? Wpuld be really appreciated!  Dont want to damage anything lol and I've pushed them pretty dsmn hard...
Did you release them at the start?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
My god soon as you said that I reread the instructions and it fell into place! No I didnt! Thankyou Rusty and sorry for double posting, my phone really doesn't like this website so A) I cant see anything I type until I post it and B) the page that says a moderator needed to approve my post shows for a split second then disappears haha :/ but thanks again I'll try Ilit again armed with that info!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HOW TO: Replace Gear box oil Cameron UK 18 30,701 7:th-May-2018, 20:04:08
Last Post: Iaintruten

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
iNeoTom (28:th-Feb-2024, 09:04:57)