Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
changing j hatch bolts? reuse bottom absorbers astra replace shock or rear

Changing Rear Shock Absorbers. Astra-J Hatch. Replace or reuse bottom bolts?
Hi folks,

I'm about to change the rear shocks on my car, and according to the info on the Vauxhall workshop manuals website the bottom bolt that connects the shock to the suspension arm should not be reused, but a new one fitted.

The torque settings given are to tighten initially to 150 Nm, and then tighten a further 65 degrees. This suggests to me that it's a stretch bolt. Am I correct?

In all the years I've replaced shock absorbers on various Vauxhall cars, this is the first time I've ever seen mention of replacing the bolts.

So, do I throw caution to the wind and just reuse the bolts, making sure they're FT, and a bit of thread lock for good measure.

Or should I replace them as suggested?

Thanks.
I changed my rear springs a year ago and I did not replace the bolt and have had no issues.

I just found information on the internet about how to do and didn't see any one mention this. Albeit a workshop manual will have more detail in it.

I can't see why you should have to replace them. It could be because the end of the threads and top of bolt get rusty and can get damaged when removing them.
(4:th-Jun-2020, 17:21:14)Jetcolour Wrote: I  changed my rear springs a year ago and I did not replace the bolt and have had no issues.

I just found information on the internet about how to do and didn't see any one mention this. Albeit a workshop manual will have more detail in it.

I can't see why you should have to replace them. It could be because the end of the threads and top of bolt get rusty and can get damaged when removing them.

they are renewed for the very reason that they are torque to yield bolts. most bolts tend to get torqued to a set figure, sometimes with the addition of threadlock compound. Reusing any bolt that has gone through a torque and angle tightening sequence is a risk,  as the bolt deforms, especially in strength and clamping force.
i will re-use a standard torque bolt but any bolt that also has a tightening angle as well, gets binned and i use a new one. especially on suspension, engine and brakes

head bolts are angle tightened, no one with knowledge re-uses them
Changed my shocks twice now front and rear reused all bolts no problems.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
While I completely agree with what Steve1412 says regarding the replacement of "stretch" bolts on heads etc, the synical side of me thinks it's just another way to dip their hand into our pockets.
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
An update on this. Sorry, I haven't been around much just lately.

I ended up paying a local mechanic £50 to change the rear shocks for me as a recent operation on my leg meant getting down on my hands and knees to do the job was going to be painful. I did try to see if I could book into one of these self service garages (the one local to me is called "This is your garage" which is based at Culham in Oxfordshire. I've no connection with them btw). But due to Covid-19 restrictions they cannot allow anyone to rent ramp space at the moment. He did mention that there were a couple of mechanics who use the place as their working base and put me onto one of them.

Anyway, long story short, the mechanic used the same bolts. I did mention about replacing them to him, and that there was a suggestion of tightening them to 150 Nm, and then through a further 65 degrees. He said it wasn't necessary unless the bolts had damaged threads, or damage to the head of the bolts in getting them out. He's done loads on different cars in his career history and not had to replace any yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra J manual – pedal box gone? pretty expensive! Mr Writer 5 12,320 9:th-Sep-2021, 14:27:28
Last Post: Gav-Astra
  weird motor sound Astra J 1.4 turbo oliv.cleiton 2 2,023 18:th-Jul-2021, 08:17:49
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra A17DTF - Timing Belt or Chain? everson38 1 1,551 17:th-Jun-2021, 12:03:07
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra j mirrors Kiel0777 2 2,115 15:th-Apr-2021, 20:34:53
Last Post: Kiel0777
  Astra won't start after some sensor cleaning? momoomar 2 3,211 3:rd-Oct-2020, 02:04:44
Last Post: momoomar
  Astra J 1.6 A16XER (115 hp) 2010 Outer Belt (and perhaps Timing Belt, too Acond 1 3,134 14:th-Aug-2020, 14:35:21
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Changing rear brake discs Big Dave2 3 2,100 26:th-Jun-2020, 18:54:19
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Astra J 2011 1.7Cdti Juddering in higher gears Mark72 6 5,250 10:th-Jun-2020, 10:08:54
Last Post: Mark72
  Astra 2.0cdti dpf regen info? Boroboy 19 21,648 5:th-May-2020, 14:22:14
Last Post: Kiel0777
  2013 Astra J SRI Galway11 2 3,968 29:th-Jun-2019, 20:20:47
Last Post: niteram

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
Arkanggel10 (19:th-May-2023, 01:04:13)