Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
query timing belt

Timing Belt query
My Astra is a 2011 model on a 60 plate and has a 1.7 cdti (125) engine. The mileage is sitting at 58k right now. When should the timing belt be changed and are there any pumps etc that need looked at at the same time?

After some digging about on the internet i seem to be coming up with loads of different answers to my question. 100k/10 years 100k/6 years 60k/6 years. Obviously i don't want to get it done the now if its a 100y/10k ratio. Hopefully someone on here can help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
It's 6 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

What pump is better being done at the same time.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Cheers Rusty. Its about 10 months past its 6 year mark so will get it booked in for belt and water pump. Friend said if the belt was done previous then there is a good chance the mechanic that did it noted it and the mileage in the engine bay somewhere near the belt. I had a look but nothing stood out. Better a couple of hundred quid the now than a couple of thousand if it snaps later

Normally it's in the service book.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Just saw this post if you are getting the timing belt and water pump done also get the crankshaft pulley done also as this is a separate pulley from your timing belt kits but these are prone to snapping on the diesels as mines getting done on Tuesday and I have opted for getting it done for the sake of a extra 70 quid it's peace of mind which isn't bad as the pulley to buy anyway was going to cost 50 quid.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Cheers. Will say to the garage to do that as well.

No problem mines going into the garage on Tuesday to get it all done, was going to do it myself but the locking tool is 250quid from laser and then the parts were about 220quid lol and the garage quoted me 420 for the lot (supplied and fitted) so was a no brainer as I'll probably not have the car next time it requires another one and the tool was engine specific and not universal lol, so there would be no point buying it for one use.

Those engine specific tools are a pain in the ass. Hope the garage has one and i don't have to go hunting for a different mechanic.

Lol yeah tell me about it, did see a cheap universal one on eBay for about 40quid but not risking it in case it falls to bits lol.

Guy i normally go to has been around for 30odd years so hopefully he has what is needed. Surely he'll have done one of them before.

Yeah I'm sure he will, he may have a decent universal one that will fit but as above it will be a few hundred quid anyway but it will be worth it to him as he will be doing it day in day out.

Having mine done next month. Quoted 450 quid. Car is 6 years old in April. 60k on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing belt for 1.7 2013 rodduz 3 2,133 14:th-Mar-2021, 13:07:22
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  BiTurbo timing belt Craig2305 3 2,046 5:th-Jan-2021, 08:25:01
Last Post: Rusty2009
  No sound on indicators, seat belt warning and quiet front parking sensors mpotsb 4 7,418 22:nd-Feb-2020, 19:24:53
Last Post: mpotsb
  GTC 1.4 T timing chain change? dazzzdelux 2 4,203 23:rd-Feb-2019, 23:55:23
Last Post: dazzzdelux
  GTC Front Road Spring Query ed-b 0 2,632 28:th-Oct-2017, 19:06:15
Last Post: ed-b
  Trip Computer Query jham 6 5,056 26:th-Oct-2017, 17:32:25
Last Post: sheppy1
  4 year service query Drewie 3 4,021 3:rd-Dec-2016, 06:49:16
Last Post: J1ODYA