Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
parking brake electric

Electric Parking Brake
Hi I have an Astra J 2011 Estate 1.6 Automatic.
We use i as a delivery vehicle.
I would like to know if anyone has or know if the electric hand brake can be reprogrammed to come on automatically  
when the engine is switched off.
Thanks for looking
Andy
Hi,

No it can't sorry.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
What's wrong with people manually engaging it, like they would with a conventional handbrake?
Not sure, it's become an automatism for me in a few weeks. But I still reach for the lights switch as soon as I get in and it's dark... and then remember there's no need for that anymore with the automatic lights.
2009 Insignia Sports Tourer / (EDS) Remap 202hp/475Nm / (OEM) DAB+ retrofit / (OEM) Foglights retrofit / (Focal) sound system
you do have to turn it on manually, I still try grab at the non existant lever, but it will auto release when you pull away.
(mine had something stuck underneath the switch which stopped me turning it off!!)
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
That is where VW wins on that one if you spend the £££ on it and admittedly, it's nice to have it but it's just a quick pull. Alternatively, leave it in an appropriate gear if you are hopping in and out.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
Hi,
Small offtopic but i need to know are Astra or Insignia (like my) have option (in other make ) hill start assist?
On my last car (other make) again with automatic transmission after I stopped when I pressed the brake pedal hard and fast after the pedal released the car was in Hold mode. Just like the electric handbrake but automated.

Regards
kebibg Wrote:Hi,
Small offtopic but i need to know are Astra or Insignia (like my) have option (in other make ) hill start assist?
On my last car (other make) again with automatic transmission after I stopped when I pressed the brake pedal hard and fast after the pedal released the car was in Hold mode. Just like the electric handbrake but automated.

Regards

If you have the electric parking brake then you have hill start assist.
If you are standing still on a hill with your brakepedal pushed in, the electric parking brake will engage. If you release your brakepedal the electric brake will disengage after 2-3 seconds or when you start driving forward.
The Astra's with the manual handbrake also have hillstart assist, if you put your foot on the brake then take it off it holds the brake for a few seconds to allow you to get biting point to move.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
(11:th-Jan-2018, 09:53:07)rlievens Wrote:

Regards

If you are standing still on a hill with your brakepedal pushed in, the electric parking brake will engage. If you release your brakepedal the electric brake will disengage after 2-3 seconds or when you start driving forward.
Hi,
Yes this work fine but i need to don't stay on brake pedal on a red traffic light.Now on crossings with long red traffic lights i engage electric parking brake and all is fine .
(11:th-Jan-2018, 16:06:06)kebibg Wrote:
(11:th-Jan-2018, 09:53:07)rlievens Wrote:

Regards

Hi,
Yes this work fine but i need to don't stay on brake pedal on a red traffic light.Now on crossings with long red traffic lights i engage electric parking brake and all is fine .
Totally agree, had my J for 2 years now and it took ages to get used to the Electric parking brake after using Manual for 35+ years.

Now I use it at every stop longer than a few secs and it takes away the strain, it prevents a red glaring light in the eyes of the driver behind me at night. Something I hate when you are at traffic lights etc and the car in front just puts foot on brake for 3 mins ?
Another convert here: I don't think I could own a car in the future without an epb, one of those changes that has been a total "yes!" for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
the epb is great, didn't take long to get used to, (I have 2 astra j's with epb)
I do drive cars and vans with a proper lever, some of them have hill start
I don't find it confusing as I've spent my whole life driving many different cars daily

the worst thing I find on cars is when the indicators / wipers are on the wrong sides!!
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake lights GILSLEY87 7 2,500 4:th-Jan-2021, 14:28:37
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra J Electric Plug jamietomlin 3 3,454 25:th-Dec-2018, 10:04:29
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Electric trailer brake? Lansa 1 2,637 27:th-Jul-2018, 10:59:50
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Parking Sensor Display Vx-Mad-G 14 9,209 29:th-Mar-2018, 16:49:42
Last Post: zzattack
  Parking sensors Aks72 0 2,879 21:st-May-2017, 00:33:35