Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
springs front

Front springs
I've just bought some lowering springs. Just a question on how the shock absorber is bolted on at the top mount. I can only see one bolt? Was expecting more than one. Cheers
Front's are normally only one bolt.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
there is bolt on top of the strut in the engine bay undo that bolt
when you take the strut out you will find one more bolt
that holds the top mount on,

check this out
http://www.mediafire.com/view/p3ubos9ugz...lation.pdf

check the TEC info section on suspension
for more info top mount removal spring etc.
Is this on a 5dr or 3dr?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3dr GTC with flexdrive. Just looked through the link and it looks exactly like mine. Cheers for quick replies
i did not realize you had GTC it is a slightly different
the top nut and top mount bolt are the same
but the bolts on the knuckle to the damper are in a different position
cornishtaz has done this sure he will help you out.
I think you'll find the info in the link above is for the 5dr the GTC has the Hi-per strut similar to the Insignia VXR.

Its a real pig to remove as you need to remove the complete hub. Unfortunatey I didn't get round to doing a how-to when putting my CDTi back to standard.

If I get time I'll try and do a write up tomorrow and get some pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
we have all the TIS info on the 5 door but there is no info as yet for the GTC
so it is hard to find info for it as things like the struts are different
a good how to is really needed on this for the GTC thanks baz.
Just attempted fitting new springs. But had no luck. Baz, which other bolts do I have to take out.
If you can wait till tomorrow I can get some pics. How far have yoh got

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I took drop link off, bolt from top mount, and the bolt behind shock absorber. I could lift the shock absorber about 1.5cm but not enough to free it.
It'll never come out while the yoke/hub is attached. The hub nut is about 250nM and new one will be required. The shock assembly sits about 6 inches in the holder

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The driveshaft prevents the strut dropping enough to remove the shock assembly

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
is he best to remove the hole strut and hub baz for the GTC
tucpal Wrote:is he best to remove the hole strut and hub baz for the GTC

Possibly the best way, unfortunately there's not much info relating to removal of the strut on the GTC. My TIS doesn't cover the GTC at all and the Insignia info just says remove the 3 bolts that Tottybye has already removed. When I removed mine when going back to standard I ysed brut force and ignorance and the driveshaft popped out at the gearbox end and was a right pig to get back in.

I've taken some pictures of the suspension so will upload will more info

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cornishtaz Wrote:Possibly the best way, unfortunately there's not much info relating to removal of the strut on the GTC. My TIS doesn't cover the GTC at all and the Insignia info just says remove the 3 bolts that Tottybye has already removed. When I removed mine when going back to standard I ysed brut force and ignorance and the driveshaft popped out at the gearbox end and was a right pig to get back in.

I've taken some pictures of the suspension so will upload will more info

Cheers, i got a quote friday, and they said they would do them for £25 each, might have another attempt tomorrow. if i have no success, i might take them up on there offer.
At £25 I'd be having their hands off. When I got mine fitted by Thorney it was £415 for supply, fit and suspension setup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This picture gives a good breakdown of the Hi-per Strut...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hiper+...999%3B2249
If you get it done by the garage, could you see if you can get some info on how they remove the strut assembly and pics of each stage if possible
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i will ask, thinking the bolt at the bottom of the strut might lower it enough.
Some pics taken today

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69[/ATTACH]

These are of the courtesy car

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Surely, the bolt connected to wishbone? You think that might lower hub enough?. Other option might be track rod end?
I think when I did mine I unbolted everything apart from the hub
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Right, Having attempted it my self, i got the spring off swapped it for new one. When bolting it all back together i noticed the driveshaft bearing had come out and the wouldn't go back in. . So i ended up phoning a Mobile mechanic who came out the next day to put bearings back in, and fit both front springs for £80. It all wasnt simple, the mechanic had no idea why the bearing wouldnt go back in, he explained the bearing should just slide back in easy. so in the end my dad ended up going to help and hitting the hub with something hard and it just popped straight in. Very Strange. Just hope it was all worth the hassle.
it does seem alot of hassle on the GTC
But it does look better lowered and don't forget the after pic,s
Yes, I'm just waiting for it to settle abit first!
Tottybye Wrote:Right, Having attempted it my self, i got the spring off swapped it for new one. When bolting it all back together i noticed the driveshaft bearing had come out and the wouldn't go back in. . So i ended up phoning a Mobile mechanic who came out the next day to put bearings back in, and fit both front springs for £80. It all wasnt simple, the mechanic had no idea why the bearing wouldnt go back in, he explained the bearing should just slide back in easy. so in the end my dad ended up going to help and hitting the hub with something hard and it just popped straight in. Very Strange. Just hope it was all worth the hassle.

This happened to me, problem was I had to lift the complete hub, disc and strut( it's not light) to get the driveshaft level then hit the end of the driveshaft with my lump hammer to get it slotted fully home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retrofit front parking sensors (GTC) pedroc1999 3 2,365 27:th-May-2023, 23:46:17
Last Post: M.Duman
  Lowering springs identify front rear martinpe68 1 1,681 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:22:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Front PDC wiring diagram milozic 1 2,475 2:nd-Feb-2021, 09:33:19
  Front suspension knock????? Sri~mike 10 8,122 22:nd-Dec-2020, 10:21:36
Last Post: M222RJF
  VXR Front Bumper onto a 5dr Bear 2 3,365 3:rd-Oct-2020, 11:48:59
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,640 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 front brake disc size Nathan191210 2 2,798 25:th-Apr-2020, 07:41:05
  Can You Add Front Fogs to an Astra J? SAMW98SO 2 3,726 10:th-Apr-2020, 13:29:58
Last Post: SAMW98SO
  VXR lowering springs hooper 3 2,150 5:th-Apr-2020, 08:30:10
  SRI springs Rusty2009 12 7,433 9:th-Mar-2020, 11:09:10
Last Post: Gordo