Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to j squeal astra brake how stop

How to Stop brake Squeal, Astra J.

This How to covers How to stop Brake Squeal
and How to Grease the slider Pins and Pads and Shims This will stop the Pads from Sticking and making Noise
And will also keep your Brakes in tip top Condition .

SLIDER PIN GREASE. Silicone grease.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271642430344?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

GREASE FOR THE BACK OF THE PADS AND SHIMS. Ceratec

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231017857033?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

REMOVE AND CLEAN...........

Follow the first Part of this How to and Remove the Brake Caliper and the Pads from the Brake Caliper Carrier
the only Difference is you Remove Both the 10mm Bolts and Place the Caliper out of the way
but Do not leave it Dangling by the Brake Hose tie it up so the hose is not stressed.    

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-...oval-5Door

Now you have the Caliper and Brake Pads Removed, Pull the Slider Pins out from the Caliper Carrier
the Top Pin will come out very easily but the Bottom Pin will be stiff and will need Turning out
with a 18mm Socket and Push the Pin out at the same time with some pliers.  

Next Pull Both the Brake Pad Shims out from the Caliper Carrier
Top and Bottom and undo the Two 18mm Bolts on the Caliper Carrier and remove it.

Next give all the Parts a Real good Clean with Brake Caliper Cleaner and inspected all the Parts from Damage and Wear and Tear
Remove all the Brake Dust and old Grease from the Slider Pins, Shims And the Caliper Carrier.

RESEMBLE AND ADD NEW GREASE......

Use the Silicone Grease on the Slider Pins and coat the slider Pin with grease and Place a small amount in the Rubber Boot
do not use Copper Grease on the Slider Pins it will Corrode the Rubber
so use Silicone Grease as this will not will not Corrode the Rubber.

Next add a small amount of Silicone Grease to the Holes for the Slider Pins on the Caliper Carrier
Then fit the Caliper Carrie back on and Push the Slider Pins back into Position
The Bottom Pin will need a little Tap to get it back in.
Pull and Push the Slider Pins in and out to make sure they are Free and Moving
This will also work the Grease in Place, Then Pinch the Rubber Boots to get any Trapped air out.

The Slider Pin with the Rubber Sleeve Goes to the Bottom of the Caliper Carrier
if the Rubber Sleeve is Damaged then Replace the Slider Pins for a new Set.  

Next Take the CERATEC Grease and add a Small Amount to the Shims for the Brake Pads
This will help the Brake pads move freely in the caliper and stop them from sticking    
Then Push the Shims back into Position in the Caliper Carrier.

Next take the Brake Pads and add a Coating of CERATEC to the back of the Pads
Do not get any Grease on the front of the Pads  
Then fit the Pads back into Position in the caliper carrier.

Next clean the Brake Piston in the Caliper and add a Coating of CERATEC too and around the Piston
Then Clean up any Grease that may have got onto the Brake Disc
and then Refit the Caliper to the Caliper Carrier and Put the two 10mm Bolts back in place.
And then give the Caliper a good Rub Down to Remove any Unwanted Grease.

There is no need to Push the Pistons back on the Calipers
if you are just Servicing the Original Pads and Slider Pins
but it is Recommended you Pump the Brake Pedal a few Times after each Caliper
has been Serviced and Put back Together to seat them Correctly.      

And that is it job Done you now have Fully Serviced Brake Calipers
and this will also Stop any Brake Squeal and will keep your Brakes in Tip top Condition.
i Recommend this is Done Every Year as Part of Your Annual Service.

AS WITH ALL MECHANICAL HOW TOO,S.
you do this at your own risk if you follow the how to correctly
there should be no problems thank you.
Nice one mate I need to do mine at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
its the the yearly service time for me at the moment i did all four today :cool
and the brakes feel brand new again well worth keeping on top of them.
It's my rears that are give problems fronts where done last September at service time when the pads where changed.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Cracking how 2. Since my mate replaced the wheel stud he snapped when changing my discs I've been having a creaking sound when applying the brake. Took me about an hour (first time taking wheel off myself) and no creaking. Thanks for the guide

Only thing I did was remove the carrier. I couldn't undo the bottom bolt and the top bolt o could t get my socket into because of another bolt in the way

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432500086.883705.jpg (Size: 99.61 KB / Downloads: 711)
  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432500086.883705.jpg (Size: 99.61 KB / Downloads: 711)

Using Tapatalk
glad it was some help yes that top nut can be tricky but a long ring spanner and a hammer will work
if you do not have a small socket
A hammer? Assuming to hit the spanner with not bash the s**t out of the bolt lol.

Using Tapatalk
not if you are careful and have a long spanner but i agree this is not really recommended
the correct socket is the way forward and if you are still struggling to get to this bolt
remove the lower strut bolt this will make life alot easier
Got round to doing this to mine today, did front and rear, seems to have resolved spring clicking noise I was getting to.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Its well worth doing it once a year also anyone doing this be very careful you don't brake the rubber sleave on the bottom slider pins they are needed to stop the caliper making noise when braking
Think I'll be doing this each year, surprised how easy it was.
The rubber sleeves do feel quite fragile so over time I'd expect to have to replace them

Using Tapatalk
Thanks for the guide, ive been trying to explain what to do here to a local garage and theyve had my car in twice to do it as i dont have a jack to do it on my drive yet but im thinking of getting one just for this job!

Is there any need to bleed brakes after doing this or is it fairly straight forward, as in just removing bolts and greasing them back up whilst making sure the caliper is not left to dangle?
Any recommendations for a decent jack for a astra j? (i didnt get any of that stuff with my car)

Thanks in advance!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra GTC Hi-Per Strut lowering springs fitting cornishtaz 9 16,905 9:th-Feb-2020, 14:23:36
Last Post: seosamh1968
  How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door Rusty2009 39 39,937 12:th-Aug-2019, 10:55:52
Last Post: Big Dave2
  HOW TO TOP UP AIR CON.. ASTRA J tucpal 10 21,068 7:th-May-2016, 16:41:29
Last Post: Roden

Who read this thread?
2 User(s) read this thread:
Farkask14 (6:th-Nov-2023, 20:28:04), Rosen Popov (28:th-Nov-2023, 08:37:30)