Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
wiring help crimping

Wiring Crimping Help
Hi All,

I have a lot of wiring in my car (mainly ambient LEDs) which I've secured with a simple twist of the wire and some electrical tape...I'm fully aware how bad this is but I simply cannot solder well enough to do it in tight spaces.

Now I would like to know how to carry out in line crimping on spliced wires....Hope people know what I mean. Is this something that can be done...is there a sort of clamp which I can put over the wires and then crimp in place? 

Cheers

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Are joining to cut wires together or are doing a splice join?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Just a splice join I think... The things I'm referring too are when I've trimmed the plastic off an existing bit of wiring and then I've spliced another wire onto the exposed copper wiring... I want to know how to secure that wiring using crimping methods... If you need me to demonstrate what I mean I'll grab some spare wire if you want and take a photo of what I mean?

It's a google image but this is what I do:

I just need to know how to crimp that so it's secure rather than twisting and then wrapping with tape like I do ATM.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean its called a splice.

Ok so a crimp wont be suitable for this unless you have access to the end of the wire.

You best bet is to use one them silly scotch lock connectors.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-Scotch-Loc...jVt8TEQoEA

I'm sure thou in another post where you were asking about wiring there was a video added of a splice.

As your not confident in soldering in tight spaces I'd recommend you do the following.

!. Splice
2. On the splice separate the copper wire
3. Twist the copper of your new wire.
4. put that through the splice.
5. twist it all together.
6. tape over.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Here's a video for you to watch for the step I listed above.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers mate! Yeah I've tried the scotch locks and they're were awful! Also too clunky and big for the small areas i need to get too.

Yeah that's what I do mate, it feels secure enough but I was worried about it coming loose and starting a fire... :-/

I remember the video I think...was a how too on soldering wasn't it? But yeah I have actually tried soldering in the car and i just make a mess of it :(

They should be fine mate.

Just practice some more practice makes perfect.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yeah it's not so much the soldering I can't do as I'm okay doing it in the house with lots of space but it's the situations in the car e.g.

1. Soldering some wiring in the boot lid which is for my parking sensors... I would have to work upwards... So the soldering iron about my head which is just tricky and also inside a small compartment too.

2. Inside the window switch compartment for the pocket lights... It's just such a small compartment and there are lots of wires together and I just end up dripping solder everywhere and melting the other wires

just splice solder and shrink wrap
(3:rd-Jan-2016, 12:46:40)tucpal Wrote: just splice solder and shrink wrap
That's the whole point of the comments in the thread mate... I can't solder! Ha

I use scotch connectors. They're ok but they're not great. Most wiring I've done is scotch connected and so far it seems OK... With the exception of my DRL wiring. I keep getting a check left DRL message on the dash. I've brought a gas powered soldering iron from ebay but haven't got round to it yet.

All I would say is practice mate. Use some old cable and bench test your skills when you feel abit more confident then move on to the car. Remember, ***** up is no bad thing.... It teaches you for next time.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Yeah I used them once but they never made a good connection and took up too much space.

That's what I have too mate! problem is the tip is a bit dodgy now and solder only sticks to half of it and I can't find replacement tips .

I'll do some more practising then but it's all fine when I practice but when I get to the car and in the confined space it all goes to pot! Haha

Use a file to clean the tip up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Didn't know of that would damage it... But thanks! I'll do that

Buy a new one. Mine was only £3 I think from China. Whether it's any good remains to be seen.

The problem I've seen with the crimps is wire thickness. The wires in the J seem very thin meaning the crimps dont always go through the sheath.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Haha probably the same one as mine but a different brand. And yeah that's the issue I saw too!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front PDC wiring diagram milozic 1 2,477 2:nd-Feb-2021, 09:33:19
Last Post: Rusty2009
  No wiring for the interior boot light marcus01 5 5,533 20:th-Dec-2017, 16:48:23
Last Post: rlievens
  Help wiring ambient lighting Daz21 1 5,279 12:th-Sep-2016, 20:14:05
Last Post: tucpal
  Reverse Camera wiring sheppy1 13 7,392 5:th-Feb-2016, 18:06:19
Last Post: tucpal
  Wiring sheppy1 8 5,501 12:th-Apr-2015, 18:25:37
Last Post: sheppy1