Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
via colour vinyl wrap change

Colour change via vinyl wrap
Got a few questions regarding this.

Do you have to inform the dvla of colour change?

How easy is it to remove the rear spoiler on the vxr?
It's a grey area on a wrap as to weather or not you have to inform DVLA some say yes some say no, always worth a phone call to cover your back.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I didn't think you have to with wrap as it's not a permanent colour change

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
best talk to your insurer just to be on the safe side
just tell them this is not a permanent color change
you will struggle to get the spoiler off possible but it is bonded on
heat and a wire pulled under the spoiler will work
but you can well imagine the damage to the paint work not recommended
and pulling it off could warp the spoiler
http://www.vehiclewrapfilms.co.uk/conten...on-changes

well there you go there is the answer to your question
Yup cheers folks. I've requested some samples of vinyl. As you can probably guess I'm fed up with white.

Just need to come up with a solution for the spoiler
You could try a long piece of string and pull it back and forth under the spoiler that will cut the bonding just take your time you will need an extra body to help
I thought I read somewhere that the top spoiler is screwed on but I've not been able to find it now.

I might do the whole car leave that section and pay someone to finish the last bit lol
I would think the aero bit may well be but I would think it is screw upwards best find out mate
I wouldn't take it off if you can help it...

I wrapped my black BMW white, police stopped me and complained I hadnt informed dvla, I contacted dvla and they said you dont have to as its not a permanent colour change

I bought my wrap from http://www.starvinyl.co.uk/
Cheers for the link. I've got some samples on the way. Gone for metallic purple, a candy red and orange similar to the chilli orange on corsas. Washing the car last night I had a look at the spoiler and I'm not sure what to do. Rest of the car should be easy enough.
The plot thickens, going to pop round to a garage that does spray on vinyl instead going to see what their work is like. But this might be the way forward as I wouldn't need to remove the spoiler apparently.
I would of thought a decent vinyl place wouldnt need to remove the spoiler anyway mate.

Whats the spray on vinyl going to be like to remove in the future though? I assume its like plastidip??
It peels of same as plastidip apparently
Cars booked in for 1st February to be spray wrapped. Will upload pictures once it's done.
look forward to that one what color are you going for then
It's a toss up between Cadburys purple or a lighter shade

that will look very nice
Hopefully, I can't wait to see the outcome
Wow that will look awesome

Should look nice that mate
@JohnL that will look good mate.

How are you going about telling DVLA of the colour change and has it effected your insurance at all?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Regarding the dvla I've had conflicting information. One is you don't have to inform the dvla as it's only a temporary change. The other is that you now do have to inform them.

I'm going to inform them as I can't be bothered getting stopped when an anpr check will report the car as been white.

Insurance when I spoke with them originally they side it would be an administration charge at most. I guess we will see when I call them next week
Have a read of this John

http://www.popingraphics.com/news/dvla-u...rap-advice
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(12:th-Jan-2016, 16:17:59)cornishtaz Wrote: Have a read of this John

http://www.popingraphics.com/news/dvla-u...rap-advice
That's one of the other ones I had seen saying you need to inform the dvla.

Like I said I'm going to inform them so least any anpr checks won't cause any questions
(7:th-Jan-2016, 20:55:05)JohnL Wrote: It's a toss up between Cadburys purple or a lighter shade

Now that's rather lush! cant wait to see pics after it's been done
Astra J BiTurbo
It's back!

Wow that's gorgeous! Love it mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple more pictures need to get some decent sun light pictures as some of the pictures look blue

Looks really good. How much did it cost and did you get the door shut and slam done?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Didn't get the door shuts done but they have done a lip inside so the white doesn't show unless you open the door.

All in it came to 1k due to been done in gloss
Looks nice mate

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks I just need to wax it and stick the vxr badge back on
How come you did the rear badge purple but left the front chrome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
They were meant to peel it off the rear badge but I turned up early (impatient person that I am)
Honestly I'm not a fan but fair play for doing your own thing, looks like a good job.

Some tyre shine would set it off too lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
i think that really stands out really well and i bet that now turns a few heads
looks like they have done a real good job
i like it
Cheers I wasn't sure at 1st as they sent me a picture of the mirror and it looked blue so didn't know what to expect when went for it.

It did get quite a few looks on the way home.

I'm just glad it's no longer white

(3:rd-Feb-2016, 21:12:00)J1ODYA Wrote: Honestly I'm not a fan but fair play for doing your own thing, looks like a good job.

Some tyre shine would set it off too lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
No point with tyre shine at present. In the middle of doing the drive so they just end up muddy
That's actually... Really bloody nice! Hahaha

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Wow!

Looking good

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Looks awesome does that mate
@JohnL I need to see this face to face! I know the pics won't do it justice!

Astra J BiTurbo
(5:th-Feb-2016, 21:45:48)Hev Wrote: @JohnL I need to see this face to face! I know the pics won't do it justice!

You are right it looks better in the metal. Where abouts in the north are you?
Near Harrogate! Where are you?

Astra J BiTurbo
Manchester/Bolton area
We need to sort a meet that way out then! I'll get on it for March

Astra J BiTurbo
I don't mind traveling.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what colour is best for the j????? mrtc 20 10,761 25:th-Jul-2016, 17:40:01
Last Post: JohnL
  What would be your dream colour scheme for an astra. mrtc 2 5,484 6:th-Jun-2016, 20:17:31
Last Post: mrtc
  sent off for licence, but my plans may change mrtc 5 5,047 23:rd-Apr-2016, 09:54:21
Last Post: andy2174
  Wrap front grille Tonto 5 5,264 23:rd-Jun-2015, 19:35:03
Last Post: tucpal
  What Colour would you have Rusty2009 9 6,280 5:th-Feb-2015, 12:38:03
Last Post: n1ibor