Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to door exterior the how change handles

How to change the exterior door handles
Here is my tutorial on how to change the outside door handles.

So you want to start by remove the rubber lugs which are located on the inside of the door frame when you open the car door:

You will then see a T20 screw, what you want to do now is pull the door handle outwards as though you're opening it to get in, at the same time you'll want to use your other hand to loosen the screw... Keep loosening it and every now and then let go of the handle and try to remove the smaller of the two parts that make up the handle, if it's not lose enough to pull out with ease then pull the handle again and loosen some more.

Eventually it will be loose enough to remove like so:

So now you have remove this piece of plastic, leave the screw driver in the hole and in the screw like I have, this will ensure it doesn't fall out and into the door of the car.

You will then be able to remove the main part of the handle by pulling it in the direction of the door frame and then pulling outwards at the same time

Once done you will just need to put the main replacement handle in the same way it was removed and also replace the smaller part or the handle. Again pull the handle outwards as though you're opening it whole you re tighten the screw.

Job done! It tool about 5 mins all in for all 4 handles once I'd figured out the technique! Thanks to the ebay seller for pointing me in the right direction ha.

If you so hear a snap while loosening the screws it's not the end of the world and it doesn't cause any issues.

Here's the end result for me...

Before:

After:

Edit: Minor update, you probably don't need to keep the screw driver wedged in there to stop the screw falling out as I believe that's what the little plastic surround is for around the screw which I managed to break! Ha. Take caution anyway in case I'm wrong

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Well done mate excellent how to
Cheers mate! Hopefully nothing is missing as I did it in a hurry from my phone! Of anyone spots anything wrong or missing then let me know

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Very handy mate thank-you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
You're welcome! Was surprised to see we didn't have a tutorial for it already! Ha. We have every other tutorial

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How-to Brake Caliper Colour Change Nemo 28 18,365 1:st-Jul-2020, 22:10:38
Last Post: Javad
  How-to remove Window trims & door mirrors Rusty2009 27 33,344 28:th-Mar-2017, 11:44:01
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How-to remove front bumper from Astra-j (MK6 5 Door Facelift) Rusty2009 31 49,398 28:th-Dec-2016, 22:58:13
Last Post: tucpal
  How-to change Alloy wheel colour Rusty2009 4 8,494 29:th-Feb-2016, 00:17:51
Last Post: Rusty2009
  HOW TO: Change colour of centre caps Cameron UK 9 11,142 15:th-Jun-2014, 22:26:19
Last Post: Tottybye