Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
indicator light after adding malfunction oil on

Malfunction Indicator Light on after adding oil
If it's a diesel, I think they will have a level sensor. Reason for the level sensor is due to the dpf filter. During the regeneration it is dumping so much extra fuel into the engine, it can and will cause the oil level to rise.

So my guess is it's over filled. Not a great idea driving it overfilled as you risk at least causing oil leaks, at worst a destroyed engine. The last thing you want is a diesel starting to burn it's own oil as it can keep going until the engine goes pop!

We had a Renault espace diesel go bang. It was ticking over in the drive at the workshop when out of blue the revs increased to rediculous levels. As it was an auto, no way were we risking sticking it in gear and killing the gearbox. £3.5k for and engine exc. Vat and fitting. Unfortunately we had to replace the engine due to being in our care!

I also had a BMW do that with me last year. Doing 70mph towards a roundabout, eased off the gas and car started to gain speed! Filled carriageway with smoke, but kept car in gear and managed to bring it to a halt and stall engine. Saved the engine and my life!

Try not to worry too much, give it an oil change and reset fault codes via computer.

Messages In This Thread
Malfunction Indicator Light on after adding oil - by Kevin - 3:rd-Nov-2014, 15:03:32

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power steering warning light defrank 2 3,200 20:th-Feb-2020, 19:37:57
Last Post: Rusty2009
  "Electronic Stability Control System" & flashing "Malfunction indicator light" irishastraowner 5 4,089 3:rd-Apr-2019, 20:02:43
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Brake Assist Warning Light duncboyd 8 16,071 19:th-Aug-2014, 07:52:40
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Epb orange light richje100 41 22,747 2:nd-May-2014, 06:46:52
Last Post: tucpal