Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to gtc hid how

GTC HID How-to
I bought a 9006 5000k HID kit from Hids Direct http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-/220672732805?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D1 11000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26m eid%3D3109239107533466727%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1 006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D220672732805%26

The first thing to do is remove the bumper to aid the removal of the headlights

Remove 6 T20 screws on top edge of bumper and unclip the clip at each end of top edge

Then remove 4 T20 screws under each wheel arch

Then pull the top edge of the bumper where it meets the rear edge of the wing

It is possible to remove the headlight at this stage but its easier to remove completely to make access to the headlight bolts easier

There are 3 T20 screws on lower front edge of the bumper(for some reason the rear clips for my undertray were broken so it came away with bumper)

There are now 2 E12 bolts that need loosening no need to remove completely

Now disconnect the plug for the foglights/outside temp sensor

The bumper is now ready for removal so with some gentle pulling it'll be off

The next thing to do is remove the headlight bolts the easy ones first these are 7mm

The last bolt is a bit more awkward
First unclip the plastic bracket from the wing end

You'll then be able to see the last bolt

Unclip the headlight electrical plug

There are 2 plastic lugs under the headlight which can be pulled out carefully

The slowly remove the headlight from the car.

Now time to fit the new bulb, wiring and ballast
If you've bought a 9006 bulb then you need to trim the righthand tab to fit the 9012 holder do a small bit at a time until it fits correctly

Now you need to cut a 21mm hole in the twist off bulb cover and thread the wiring though ensuring the grommet is a good fit.(I bought 2 new caps from Vaux for £28) Remove your old bulb and insert the HID bulb and connect up the plug and refit the bulb cover.

I mounted the ballast on the underside of the headlight but you can place it somewhere safe and away from moisture.

If fitting underneath you need to modify the area where the OE ballast would fit

I used some double sided foam tape to hold the ballast in place

Now its time to refit everything the headlight is just a reversal of the removal process.

Now slide the bumper back on ensuring the the lower bracket fits onto the locating bolts

Tighten these bolts and reattach the undertray

Reconnect the foglight connector

Now clip in the bumper at the side

Now its just a matter of screwing the 4 underarch bolts and clipping the upper edge and refit 6 upper bolts.

Now enjoy the greater light output

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quality guide! Will be looking to do this after my service in June, along with a couple of other things. Can I ask is there any real benefit to the slim terminator version?
ASTRA GTC 2011- 9012 35W CANBUS TERMINATOR SLIM HID XENON CONVERSION KIT | eBay
I ended up getting canbus cancellers. So that kit should be spot on

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thats the one I'll get then, it will be a while before I fit but I'll let you know how I get on.
Cool if you find any short cuts or anything I've missed then feel free to add it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks for bringing this one over mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
excellent how too well done
Hi does the bumper need to come off he 2015 cars too? as when i did my drl, people were saying take the fuse box cover off remove the air box etc and it was a simple 1 minute job. and it looks like the headlights are just there too. I literally have no clue when it comes to cars so will prob pay a garage to do these for me but would still like to know.

Cheers
It's far easier to remove the bumper and and headlights and fit the HIDs off the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
It can be done with the bumper on just more awkward getting the bulb tabs orientated the correct way, I've done it both ways and both have there pros and cons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(31:st-Dec-2015, 09:28:03)cornishtaz Wrote: It can be done with the bumper on just more awkward getting the bulb tabs orientated the correct way, I've done it both ways and both have there pros and cons

Yea i tried today mate and don't know how to get the bulbs out as its such a small gap on the drivers side. so i just put the cap back on and gave up lol!!
You could remove the airbox for better access. The bulbs twist out but can't remember which way they twist
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(31:st-Dec-2015, 19:43:40)cornishtaz Wrote: You could remove the airbox for better access. The bulbs twist out but can't remember which way they twist

Don't really know how to do that mate. I literally know eff all when it comes to stuff like this lol... But i am gonna have a proper go again tomorrow. I first thought it was way to easy when i took the first cap off got the bulb out then realised it was the indicator lol....
You literally unscrew the screws that are on it, take the lid off, remove the filter and the bottom bit just lifts out, make sure you bung a tea towel down the hole though

(31:st-Dec-2015, 21:37:58)Nemo Wrote: You literally unscrew the screws that are on it, take the lid off, remove the filter and the bottom bit just lifts out, make sure you bung a tea towel down the hole though

Thats what I mean see mate the tea towel thing i wouldn't have know what to do etc. I think I've got someone to do them for me now anyway
No need to even remove the top just take it in one.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(31:st-Dec-2015, 22:06:19)Rusty2009 Wrote: No need to even remove the top just take it in one.

I tried that once but found it didn't hold up against the bonnet stand which meant I needed a second set of hands to hold it. So I took it apart and did it that way

@Kris you literally cannot miss the hole. Once you lift the box out there's a gaping hole, just stick the towel down it

(31:st-Dec-2015, 22:26:29)Nemo Wrote:
(31:st-Dec-2015, 22:06:19)Rusty2009 Wrote: No need to even remove the top just take it in one.

I tried that once but found it didn't hold up against the bonnet stand which meant I needed a second set of hands to hold it. So I took it apart and did it that way

@Kris you literally cannot miss the hole. Once you lift the box out there's a gaping hole, just stick the towel down it

Yea I know now to put a towel there, but i meant until you told me, i had no reason to even put a towel there lol. ill never be able to do them myself so i'm hoping someone who said they can will, if not it will be in a garage lol.
The towel is so you don't drop anything down it

Does anyone find xenon kit what does not inform broken bulb?? Link please

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
marktourino (1:st-Jun-2023, 07:30:48)