Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
progress thread rusty2009

Progress thread Rusty2009
Didn't he have a car vision one that was crap so went back hence the aftermarket
No, a Kenwood double din I think

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(14:th-Jun-2016, 22:44:19)mrtc Wrote: Have you fitted the aftermarket GPS shark fin

Yes mate I have works perfect.

(15:th-Jun-2016, 02:11:39)bhalay207 Wrote: Looks good mate. What made you change from aftermarket to OEM?

Originally I was just going to fit the OEM and go back to my aftermarket but the unit the Mrs had started playing up so I gave her my aftermarket.

(15:th-Jun-2016, 04:56:43)mrtc Wrote: Didn't he have a car vision one that was crap so went back hence the aftermarket

I had a crap Carvision unit a while back and swapped it out for the other aftermarket option.

(15:th-Jun-2016, 06:12:49)bhalay207 Wrote: No, a Kenwood double din I think

That's right mate Kenwood double din.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Did you use that media box thing I've seen for the rear cam? That looks awesome if it's a retrofit, and how do you manage to get sat nav instructions on the dash display? Very interested!
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
(15:th-Jun-2016, 12:04:06)tommyboy1289 Wrote: Did you use that media box thing I've seen for the rear cam? That looks awesome if it's a retrofit, and how do you manage to get sat nav instructions on the dash display? Very interested!

No I didn't use a media box it's factory retrofit.

I turned them on using the MDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(15:th-Jun-2016, 12:28:28)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(15:th-Jun-2016, 12:04:06)tommyboy1289 Wrote: Did you use that media box thing I've seen for the rear cam? That looks awesome if it's a retrofit, and how do you manage to get sat nav instructions on the dash display? Very interested!

Mind if I ask how much something like that would set me back?
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
(15:th-Jun-2016, 13:05:02)tommyboy1289 Wrote:

The boot handle was £300, the camera was £50 from Ebay then it was a case of loom which was around £30 which I made myself.

The Navi DAB & BT depends on what can pick parts up for again there wiring changes needed, the biggest killer is the fee GM charge now to supply a VCI.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Basically the aftermarket head unit with camera is around the same price and twice as easy to install unless you live down the road from Russell who can do the programming for ya! Shame as all factory stuff is cool

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(16:th-Jun-2016, 07:32:54)Rusty2009 Wrote:

The boot handle was £300, the camera was £50 from Ebay then it was a case of loom which was around £30 which I made myself.

The Navi DAB & BT depends on what can pick parts up for again there wiring changes needed, the biggest killer is the fee GM charge now to supply a VCI.

So can you use any camera with it then? Just the VCI programming and wiring?

(16:th-Jun-2016, 09:47:29)sheppy1 Wrote: Basically the aftermarket head unit with camera is around the same price and twice as easy to install unless you live down the road from Russell who can do the programming for ya! Shame as all factory stuff is cool

As sad as it sounds I only like reverse cameras if the lines bend with the steering wheel haha
(17:th-Jun-2016, 20:13:19)tommyboy1289 Wrote:
(16:th-Jun-2016, 07:32:54)Rusty2009 Wrote:

So can you use any camera with it then? Just the VCI programming and wiring?

(16:th-Jun-2016, 09:47:29)sheppy1 Wrote: Basically the aftermarket head unit with camera is around the same price and twice as easy to install unless you live down the road from Russell who can do the programming for ya! Shame as all factory stuff is cool

As sad as it sounds I only like reverse cameras if the lines bend with the steering wheel haha

It may work with any camera but I've used a factory one.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
no factory camara only due to the wiring of the camera
A little update, my car needs a new turbo, so it's staying at the dealers till its fixed which will be early next week.

In the mean time I have a Mokka 1.6cdti and I've gotta say it's great really enjoying it till you slide on seat when you throw it into a conner.

It's fully loaded Bluetooth dab heated leather seats and steering wheel. The factory dab aerial is rubbish tho compared to my aftermarket drops out alot and the road noise when on BT is not good.

But I deffo buy a Mokka.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
shame the turbo went mate but glad you have been able to get them to sort it out
Not good if you have kids.

I took one for a test drive before I bought gtc and your right it's a great drive but the downside is the lack of space across the rear seat.

I have 3 kids who all need kids seats but the Mokka doesn't have the space to fit all 3 in but the gtc does even my corsa did.
At least it's being done under warranty shame they couldn't do a proper diag the first time.

@bruce_19 my 3 don't need kiddy seats so it's ideal all 3 of them where in it today with no issues.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Perks of a lifetime warranty

(23:rd-Jun-2016, 19:58:51)bhalay207 Wrote: Perks of a lifetime warranty

Yeah deffo aftermarket turbos are £600 plus your old one

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Makes you want to cry just thinking about it! Might start driving mine a tad gentler lol

Yeah it's just the wide I had the problem with.

When I went for my test drive I was in the front with my dad behind me and he said there was loads of room for him to the back of my seat and it's not like we are both short I'm 6' and my dad is 6'3".

I would consider one when my lot get bigger or I start having difficulty getting in and out of mine
How far your car been driven?
(24:th-Jun-2016, 13:09:15)hejhopp123 Wrote: How far your car been driven?

22,000 4yrs old.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
22k miles and gearbox trouble. Yikes

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
(24:th-Jun-2016, 20:08:08)mrtc Wrote: 22k miles and gearbox trouble. Yikes

Have you not been to bed yet? Lol, it's the turbo not the gearbox.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Oh ok. No havent been bed yet. At work till 930

(24:th-Jun-2016, 20:14:09)mrtc Wrote: Oh ok. No havent been bed yet. At work till 930

Poor you I finished at 6 then had to help my neighbour empty her shed.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
hows is the astra. whats next for it?
Well the turbo got replaced, then she didn't seem to have any pull so I did an EGR clean and that's helped somewhat but she still seems down on power (I can only think its down to this ECU update they did).

But other than that its all good thanks.

I have a navi900 sat here waiting to go in.

and on the 2nd Aug it's a full brake pad/disc change and new brake fluid, with gearbox fluid also being changed, along with swapping the out SRI shocks for my elite shocks.
15th Aug is MOT day
30th Aug is service day.

Nothing else planned as of yet.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
If you're doing the brake fluid and gearbox fluid would you do a how to please!

Gearbox has already been covered mate.

I'll try and do one for brake fluid doing it with my mechanic.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
So my daughter decided she was going to sweep the garage yesterday.

Only have time to do a quick windscreen and rear window clean.

She says to me dad as I made your car dirty the most it's only fair I do most of the cleaning on it, which will have to be Thursday when I'm on school holiday.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
your going to let your child wash your car, hide the brillo pads lol
(18:th-Jul-2016, 08:26:21)mrtc Wrote: your going to let your child wash your car, hide the brillo pads lol

Lol, TBF my kids do a good job as long as I'm there keeping an eye otherwise they do what they think is better.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
So I've now retrofitted a Navi900 and I've done the LED conversion on the buttons, tried to get them like a Mokka with the white around the knobs.

A short video showing some of the voice commands

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Very good mate well done
Nicee

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
wow thats cool where did you buy the Navi900 ?
(28:th-Jul-2016, 16:52:34)opelastra Wrote: wow thats cool where did you buy the Navi900 ?

I got from eBay.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Nice , I got a cheep £6 shark fin aerial off eBay but it doesn't work , what one did you get and how did you fit it ? thanks
(30:th-Jul-2016, 23:19:46)opelastra Wrote: Nice , I got a cheep £6 shark fin aerial off eBay but it doesn't work , what one did you get and how did you fit it ?  thanks

What functions are you looking for from the sharkfin?

AM/FM, DAB, GPS, WIFI, DVB-T etc.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hi , I'm looking for AM/FM, GPS , don't know about DAB ,

I have the aftermarket s160 that sheppy 1 has and I live in Ireland , what ever works best

What does DAB do ? Thanks
(31:st-Jul-2016, 08:17:29)opelastra Wrote: Hi , I'm looking for AM/FM, GPS , don't know about DAB ,

I have the aftermarket s160 that sheppy 1 has and I live in Ireland , what ever works best

You'll probably be better just getting the FM/AM one mate. You need a sonically S160 compatible DAB antenna for DAB on the unit (DAB us just fancy radio lol).

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

(31:st-Jul-2016, 10:56:06)sheppy1 Wrote:
(31:st-Jul-2016, 08:17:29)opelastra Wrote: Hi , I'm looking for AM/FM, GPS , don't know about DAB ,

You'll probably be better just getting the FM/AM one mate. You need a sonically S160 compatible DAB antenna for DAB on the unit (DAB us just fancy radio lol).

Having GPS would mean AM/FM & GPS.

So I would go for this one
http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-a...ii-antenna
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks for the info , I copy and paste the name of the am/FM Ariel in eBay and it gave me up 2 the there is one for £ 50 it was two cables can I just replace them and keep the old cables , or will I have to fish the cables through the roof and down to the back of the Radio ? Thanks
(31:st-Jul-2016, 14:32:21)opelastra Wrote: Thanks for the info , I copy and paste the name of the am/FM Ariel in eBay and it gave me up 2 the there is one for £ 50 it was two cables can I just replace them and keep the old cables  , or will I have to fish the cables through the roof and down to the back of the Radio ? Thanks

Was it this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celsus-ANC7727...OSwYSlXgNh-

That is just an AM/FM.

What radio do you have fitted?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yep that is the one I was looking at in eBay , the Radio is the same as sheppy1 has s160 I go it off icebox auto m 72 ,

What confusing me is in car Ariel when I pull down the roof lining I only see one wire but the one you showed me on eBay as two wires coming off the Ariel
The other wire will be 12v feed most likely to amplify the signal
I'll check the connections on the unit you have.

Yes two wires one is FM/AM the other is power to amplify the signal.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
OK will do I can try and send you a picture of the cable ,
The gas this is when I am in Dublin city the shark fin the cheep one I got ,works perfectly but when I leave Dublin the signal goes , would a booster antenna help ?
I went through loads of different Sharkfin's and honestly I can say none of them worked very well atall. I wasn't keen on paying the price tag after all money I spent on others that didn't work but I can say I'm so glad I did buy it as I've never lost signal once.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progress Thread - Astra 2.0CDTi (165) eCOFlex Jonathaneuk Jonathaneuk 104 38,864 20:th-Jan-2024, 15:20:34
Last Post: Dominattor
  Progress thread : White Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri vx line marcus 193 90,941 1:st-Aug-2021, 11:24:07
Last Post: Chip
  Progress thread - AstraRT AstraRT 5 4,439 10:th-Jan-2021, 08:35:22
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Qaranc's Astra progress Qaranc 12 9,204 7:th-Nov-2020, 08:06:37
Last Post: Jetcolour
  Alex's Progress Thread AlexFitton 95 41,260 27:th-Jun-2020, 08:53:48
  Sparkyscfc74’s progress thread sparkyscfc74 485 557,291 13:th-Jun-2020, 08:24:38
  JohnL's VXR Progress thread JohnL 17 13,528 15:th-Feb-2020, 12:38:28
Last Post: olihil18
  Where's my thread? Telsun 2 3,507 1:st-Jan-2019, 09:49:57
Last Post: Telsun
  Progress Thread Conor97 Conor97 28 12,810 9:th-Sep-2018, 19:37:44
Last Post: Conor97
  Progress Thread: Sheppy1 sheppy1 1,759 682,694 30:th-Aug-2018, 09:45:17
Last Post: sparkyscfc74

Who read this thread?
14 User(s) read this thread:
Arkanggel10 (28:th-Mar-2024, 19:02:39), marktourino (2:nd-Jun-2023, 23:58:47), KKEVANSKK (23:rd-Mar-2024, 23:04:43), milozic (29:th-Nov-2023, 19:45:15), Dvaltd (9:th-Nov-2023, 11:58:40), exhippykev (22:nd-Jul-2023, 21:13:06), Azriel (7:th-Jul-2023, 15:03:49), opelmed (28:th-Sep-2023, 16:06:55), Lito4h (25:th-Nov-2023, 09:31:45), STHOP (28:th-Nov-2023, 23:08:31), kipper (29:th-Dec-2023, 22:05:31), mark_palmer (26:th-Dec-2023, 18:06:27), caneiv (4:th-Apr-2024, 11:57:36), Adam_Burchart (4:th-Apr-2024, 17:07:57)