Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
led colour surround change gear

Gear surround LED colour change

For anyone that wishes to change the colour of the SMD LED in the gear surround.

Tools required
Stubby Philips s/driver
Small flat blade s/driver
Fine tip soldering iron
Qty 2 4040 smd led from top-quality-tools | eBay

Start by removing the following parts. 1. Rubber mat 2. Plastic cover 3. Gear gaiter

I removed the gear gaiter completely by pushing in the 2 black tabs and lifting the blue collar. You can remove the 2 screws holding the centre console surround

Then carefully remove the centre console surround, there are several clips and a small amount of force is required. This pic shows some of the clips

Then remove the AUX/USB unit, this has a plastic clip on each side and requires a small careful bit of force( I did this to make access easier to the elec connector)

Disconnect the elec connector(This is showing the connector from non EPB models)

I removed the 2 metal screw clips to avoid damage to the led housing tube. Unclip the qty5 led housing tube clips

Slide the LED housing tube forward slightly to de-locate from front mount point

This is the elec connector form EPB models

Unclip qty 10 clips to separate the clear tube from the black plastic

This shows to 2 parts seperated

To get access to the LED PCB unclip qty 3 clips on each end of the cabling

This shows the LED PCB inside the housing

This is the PCB removed.

De-solder the LED and replace with new LED and rebuild everything in reverse.

The finished item showing it being bench tested and installed into the car

Min brightness

Max brightness

Interior light off

Interior light on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nice one mate I've ordered the LED already going try a two colour option.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Nice one mate I've ordered the LED already going try a two colour option.

I've tried to be as through as I can to make it easy for other people

Sounds good mate look forward to the pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Very well done and a very good idea think i will be going for blue
Pics of finished project added to 1st post
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
That looks really good mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
i like it even better now got to get this done i will have a practice on my old switch and see how i get on
Baz where is the best place to put the soldering iron mate?

You can't go from the bottom and it looks impossible to get in from the side only other place is on the metal contacts of the LED.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
You can desolder/solder from the metal led contact just use a thin modeling knife blade to raise the led when desoldering. Retin pcb contacts prior to install of new led

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This Looks Amazing!! Seriously Comtemplating this, however, I would want too change the backlighting of the dash if I did this lol, I like matching themes
The rest is a wip and more how to will be added

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
really liking this baz so just ordered the SMD.S

and i really want the blue around the clocks also
the ambient also has red lights behind the door handles, is this something to follow?
Gatch Wrote:the ambient also has red lights behind the door handles, is this something to follow?

Yes mate its on its way, but seeing as Vaux used a strange led the board has to modified to accept a more common led
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anyone else managed to change the colour of the door card LED?
Yep easy to do done about a dozen of em
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I got Baz to do mine as you need a jumper wire iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Nah you don't need one @Rusty2009

When you remove the LED that's originally there you'll see 6 squares for where it was sat. Scratch the black off of the board next to the right to expose the copper like so;

Then skip the first squares on the left, add the LED to the middle squares and then have it sat on the copper you just scratched off and solder it to that.

The LED doesn't actually touch any of the original squares except for the middle 2

The first and last pic show two different methods. First pic has 2x 0805 attached and the other has a plcc-2 on it

What led did you use
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It was done two different ways to test the brightness and it looked like 2x 0805 was brighter
I use a standard plcc2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sorry that's what I meant, I'll edit it
Did both your 805s work?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah they both do, it's the method I went with too
Strange as the middle connection on the edge furthest from the wires isn't connected to anything

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Window switch LED colour change cornishtaz 41 21,655 10:th-Oct-2020, 16:05:52
Last Post: Jinkie
  Change of LED color in Speedometer A20DTH 76 50,984 21:st-Jan-2019, 18:16:18
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How-To GID Colour change umognog 7 8,169 18:th-Feb-2018, 08:58:05
Last Post: Rusty2009

Who read this thread?
2 User(s) read this thread:
exhippykev (19:th-Jul-2023, 20:20:09), iNeoTom (9:th-Mar-2024, 09:01:00)