Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
compression please zero advice

Zero compression advice please
Hello as this is my first post,

After some advice please if anyone has encountered this issue before. I have bought a 2010 Astra J 1.4 VVT ( A14XER engine if it helps ). It overheated and the previous owner wanted rid so I bought it to try and get my nephew away from his ipad and experience some spannering! I didn't pay much for it as worst case I thought then we could just put a new engine in if it's really knackered.

So the experience so far.... cranks over fast and compression test shows no compression at all in any cylinder. Not a good thing I know. I had anticipated warped head, blown head gasket etc with the overheating issue it had but i've never come across any engine with no compression unless the timing was out ( jumped belt etc ). So today had a look at the chain which looks quite good and tight so can't see how that would have jumped but then came across something new to me. The VVT solenoid on the exhaust cam was very loose. It is missing a bolt and as such was not secured properly. I have never worked on any VVT engine before so not sure how much this would effect anything?

Anyone had any experience with these engines and zero compression please? Ultimately the car was very cheap so unless there is something glaring that I am missing the engine will be stripped down soon as we have nothing to loose and only education to learn :

I should add....there are no bad noises on cranking. 

Thanks in advance
I would have agreed with you snapped belt or chain.

I would advise just putting a diag tool on it to see if there are any codes before stripped, maybe something turn up maybe not.

Always the option the chain had been bad, some one changed but did it bad an bent valves
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compression test dimkozi 1 3,444 26:th-Apr-2017, 07:02:48
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Engine compression 1.3 DTE sotoskon 5 6,919 29:th-Mar-2015, 17:13:12
Last Post: Rusty2009

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
mc92661 (12:th-Dec-2023, 22:00:18)