Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
install unit help head android

Android Head Unit Install Help
Hi All, 

I've managed to pick up a used Android unit for my Astra J, I've removed all the original equipment and read numerous threads on here and online regarding installation however I feel I'm missing something? 

The unit I have seems to differ from all the other units and I can't find anything online regarding what I have. 

The picture of the cable with the grey connector, I can't find anything that, that would connect too am I missing something that would split up the original big connector to then plug into my unit? 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated or even better if there's anyone local to Blackpool who would be happy for me to pop round and I'll chip them something for their time? 

Thanks
Mike

The grey plug is for the AUX port by the looks of it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Hi Rusty,

Thanks for replying.

I've nothing that will go into the the main standard harness. Do I not need one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT1...2749.l2649
Looking at that the box you need remove the bottom half of your current cd400 unit (the CD drive) and then fit this in it's place that will give you the factory plug.

In your last picture I think this goes to the current screen take the plug from that and plug into the loom, then one of the others will plug into the replacement display the other may plug back into the factory screen (which would need to be hidden away) or it may run the control panel.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(23:rd-Oct-2020, 07:15:23)Rusty2009 Wrote: Looking at that the box you need remove the bottom half of your current cd400 unit (the CD drive) and then fit this in it's place that will give you the factory plug.

In your last picture I think this goes to the current screen take the plug from that and plug into the loom, then one of the others will plug into the replacement display the other may plug back into the factory screen (which would need to be hidden away) or it may run the control panel.

Hi Rusty, 

I've attached a couple more pictures of the unit.

I'd removed the bottom half of the CD400 unit but the plug on the back of the new unit is tiny compared to the astra plug. 

I'd bought an Astra J Iso Adapter but this hasn't helped.

Thanks for your help 

Mike
Once you've removed the cd part of the factory unit place it to one side you need the top part with the board in and the face plate.

Fit these 2 parts to the new cd drive.

Thus will give you a complete unit, which the car plug will plug into.

After that the 2 black plugs in your hand in pic3 take the plug from the factory display and plug it into bottom plug the top plug goes to the factory screen and you hide this screen away (behind the glove box).

The plug in pic 1 is the AUX plug.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(26:th-Oct-2020, 08:36:23)Rusty2009 Wrote: Once you've removed the cd part of the factory unit place it to one side you need the top part with the board in and the face plate.

Fit these 2 parts to the new cd drive.

Thus will give you a complete unit, which the car plug will plug into.

After that the 2 black plugs in your hand in pic3 take the plug from the factory display and plug it into bottom plug the top plug goes to the factory screen and you hide this screen away (behind the glove box).

The plug in pic 1 is the AUX plug.

Right, 

What you've said makes perfect sense and I can now see where the cables would go. 

I've split the original unit and there's a ribbon that connect the top to the bottom. I can remove that no issues however in the aftermarket unit I'd need to dismantle it and there's invalid if broken stickers?? 

To me that means the last owner mustn't of split the unit? I'm assuming i'd need to attach the ribbon on the aftermarket unit? 

I'm in communication with the seller so don't want for them not too take it in return if I break the seal. 

Thanks
Mike
So remove the ribbon from the board I've highlighted it for you.

I don't think there is a ribbon on the new drive hence you have the extra plug on it.

So once you've removed the ribbon then fit that part on top of the new drive & then fit the face plate Radio complete then fit in the car.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Sound I'll give it a go.

Cheers bud

We've got progress   power to the hazards, door lock etc but nothing to the screen

But still missing something for the white plug in the first pic. There's is a lead i've got but that goes back to the grey plug which nothing will fit into?? 

If its easier would you mind giving me a bell or email? 

Also plugged the original screen in as you mentioned which powered up no problems? Could there be a fuse inside the aftermarket unit? 
The grey plug in pic2 run that down to the the AUX plug (next the 12v socket) unplug the aux and plug it into this one.

In terms of the screens could it be possible you have crossed the plugs over between the 2?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I've tried the screen on both connections and also direct onto the astra loom

When I bought the unit, I asked how old it was and was told it was bought in March 2020, I've just checked when the unit was made and it was in 2014 and as the unit is nothing like anything else on the market and its old in terms of technology I should just stop being tight and buy a new one
Is there a fuse on the back of the screen (buy the GPS aerial) or is that my eyes playing ticks on me?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
There's no fuses visable and there's void if broken seals around the screen.

I've had enough and admitted its naff. Its 2014 so in android speak its ancient. I'll buy a new one and hopefully that one will be plug and play.

Really appreciate your help bud.
No worries at all that's where the forum is here.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 9.7" vertical screen Luidgi123 12 6,382 20:th-Nov-2020, 22:38:46
Last Post: Luidgi123
  navi 650 install problem tzr608 3 3,359 16:th-Apr-2019, 07:09:45
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Android head units kyle-astra-j 11 7,761 20:th-Dec-2017, 20:30:55
Last Post: umognog
  Head unit Mspencer 7 5,925 19:th-Aug-2017, 15:40:41
Last Post: Rusty2009

Who read this thread?
4 User(s) read this thread:
airainchoc (23:rd-Jun-2023, 10:44:26), Azriel (7:th-Jul-2023, 15:04:12), mrheat (25:th-Dec-2023, 18:14:57), caneiv (4:th-Apr-2024, 12:36:29)