Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
questions hid kit

HID Kit Questions

I have been doing some hunting around for a HID kit for my Astra GTC. Seems like most the information is around on the forum in various threads over the years but nothing that makes it 100% clear (at least to me).

Am I right in saying the following?

1. Astra GTC have the correct headlight units as standard (projectors) to allow legal installation of HID's?
2. You should get the 35w HID kit otherwise there may be MOT issues?
3. The bulbs you need are HIR2 (9012) and NOT H7's.
4. Installation requires removal of the bumper / atleast removal of the headlights?

And finally a couple of questions I am not 100% sure on?

5. Other than kits from HID Direct (who seem totally out of stock), what kits have been tried and tested on Astra GTC's to work faultlessly and not cause Canbus errors?
6. Ever heard of the stealth kit? Stealth Kit (Autobulbs direct)
7. What colour output is most common / not likely to get me flashed at every 5 seconds?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
1. The GTC has projector lenses fitted so you can fit HID's.
2. Yes 35W hid kits otherwise your get errors.
3. Yes 9012 bulbs.
4. Depends really, I personally remove headlight to fit HID's as I like to hide as much as possible.
5. I've used a few different kits on the GTC's I've done but all customer supplied so I can't provide any links.
6. Used a stealth kit on a K did customer happy with them.
7. I wouldn't go any higher the 5K 4.3K is factory anything over and your starting to lose light output.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thankyou for the reply Rusty, much appreciated.

35w 5k kit has been ordered. Looking forward to getting it fitted this weekend (hopefully without any problems or errors). I am a neat freak so will want to hid as much of the kit as possible. Am i right in saying you typically stick the ballasts to the underside of the headlights. What about the other small boxes, can any of that fit in the headlight?
Hi Tez

The stealth kit was fitted to my Astra K by Rusty, I haven't had any problems with the HID's & the light output is just as good as the AFL's on on my previous GTC.
(22:nd-Apr-2020, 11:05:27)tez162003 Wrote: Thankyou for the reply Rusty, much appreciated.

35w 5k kit has been ordered. Looking forward to getting it fitted this weekend (hopefully without any problems or errors). I am a neat freak so will want to hid as much of the kit as possible. Am i right in saying you typically stick the ballasts to the underside of the headlights. What about the other small boxes, can any of that fit in the headlight?

Yes underneath is best out the way.

I always stick the small ones under the headlight too.

I normally also drill the hole in the bottom rather than the cap and then depin the big connector and run and run it through.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Couple of programming questions zzattack 8 5,188 1:st-May-2017, 07:05:17
Last Post: Rusty2009