Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
remove blank egr

Blank/Remove EGR
Hi all,

Anyone know what the best method is to blank off or fully remove the egr on these cars?

Ta

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

When I enquired about it, it was to get a blanking plate and then they would alter Ecu when they done remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh right! Seems to be a pain to find anyone to do it and one chap said it would damage other components if I was to blank it off... That even true?!

I'm not sure about that, when mine was blocked I enquired about a remap and egr delete at the same time and was quoted £355 and they supply and do everything with before and after dyno runs.. Never mentioned it affecting car and that's from a reputable place that remap a race cars lol.

Hmmmm right... I had two conflicting answers from two different places you see! I've enquired with some remap companies to see what they can do

Keep us updated mate, I only asked the one place so haven't got any comparisons!

Yeah will do mate! If they don't get back to me by the weekend I'm gonna start ringing around!

Surly the dpf would need removing also
I was told by my mechanic it's not a good idea to blank the EGR off.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
@tucpal it may become redundant but not sure it would need to be removed.

It seems to me that no one knows about it really as everyone is saying different things! May just fix mine lol

There trying to make new tests to test for DPF removal

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/government-...crackdown/
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Yeah heard about that mate but I'd never remove the dpf anyway

Well I was thinking that the bluefin could have caused the issues... They offer a warranty so thought I'd ring and see what they said... And wow the guy I got was a prick!

He said I have to prove that the remap caused it... Yeah, never gonna be able to prove that am I! He then said it's not up to them to fix it anyway as it's something vauxhall should sort... I said yeah I agree unless their remap caused it... He then said "we won't have caused it as we have only ever had to pay out for 1 claim once and that's because one of our guys broke a piece of plastic while doing the remap". To that I answered yeah no one has claimed because you make it impossible for anyone to do so! They ask for proof of something that cannot be proved and then tell you to go to the dealer anyway... He then said it's total lies about the fact that vauxhall can tell if a remap has occurred... What a class act he was! Then the line conveniently went dead.

Now we know why they offer a warranty. As a sales thing and they never actually let anyone claim

Fave line of the whole thing though was "it can't be caused by us as we have never had one of our remaps break anything so far"... Nice

Or the other great line I remembered was "you're going to need to have it checked our by an independent garage and have them prove we caused the issue" I said okay how do I go about doing that? And he replied "good question, we don't know as we have never had anyone need to make a claim before"... What a dick!

I know probly not a good idea
(21:st-Apr-2016, 07:11:11)Rusty2009 Wrote: I was told by my mechanic it's not a good idea to blank the EGR off.

You need a new mechanic then as that makes no sense whatsoever! The EGR is what it is, exhaust gas recycling valve.. Putting dirty air back in. How could stopping that and only letting fresh clean air in be anything but a good thing?
(21:st-Apr-2016, 22:09:00)Jj0063 Wrote:
(21:st-Apr-2016, 07:11:11)Rusty2009 Wrote: I was told by my mechanic it's not a good idea to blank the EGR off.

You need a new mechanic then as that makes no sense whatsoever! The EGR is what it is, exhaust gas recycling valve.. Putting dirty air back in. How could stopping that and only letting fresh clean air in be anything but a good thing?

No I don't he's the only mechanic to be honest and the only one I trust to work my cars, his view on EGR blanking is it will increase emissions and could cause damage to other components such as the CAT.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
The engine timing is set to specific degree and is adjusted to EGR-valve. Blocked EGR will raise engine temp and cause damages, now or later, if you intend to keep the car let it be original. Other fuel/air mix may also cause damage to the filter and more carbon get stuck so regain if activated, black smoke, not good. The enviromental argument I wont even write cause I am too tired to hear about it and frankly dont care.

I also had the idea to block the EGR but its a gamble... Better to buy 2.0 cdti instead. =)
Its okay to have EGR mapped out and dpf still in place, as long as the mapping is good. 
Due to ideal operating cylinder temperatures there is less particulate but more nox. 
All the egr does is reduce nox and increase particulate due to reducing combustion temperatures.
I had my a4 egr delete with dpf in situe for around 3 years, just had the same done to our lasses 2.0cdti.
Devils work that egr 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  centre console / gearstick slider how to remove? lacesoutdom 3 3,480 10:th-May-2018, 07:41:01
Last Post: Rusty2009
  how to remove the DIFFUSER TRIM opelastra 0 3,096 8:th-May-2017, 13:50:52
Last Post: opelastra
  Remove bonnet strip kippax 8 6,086 27:th-Dec-2016, 19:49:55
  How can i remove n/s boot liner spybot 2 5,458 24:th-Jun-2016, 12:27:16
Last Post: spybot
  Remove Leather Seat Leg Support sheppy1 5 4,804 8:th-Jun-2015, 21:01:40
Last Post: sheppy1
  Remove Chrome sheppy1 12 8,334 10:th-Mar-2015, 21:12:29
Last Post: sheppy1
  Remove rear badge Cameron UK 1 3,056 23:rd-Aug-2014, 06:18:30
Last Post: tucpal
  Remove rear badge Cameron UK 2 3,549 28:th-Jul-2014, 06:26:29
Last Post: Cameron UK
  How do you remove you remove rear tail lights from car LiamTurner 1 4,892 16:th-Jun-2014, 18:09:24
  How do you remove badge Cameron UK 1 3,456 24:th-May-2014, 23:07:10
Last Post: tucpal