Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
sound flapping driving when

Flapping Sound when driving.
Hello Everyone,

I do have an Hatchback Astra J 2015 1.4NET with auto transmission. 

I did detected a flapping noise like as you are driving something stick on the tires or it sounds like there is some lines on the road and you are passing on them. 

I know it's a very low chance find this kind of a sound issue without hearing it but I'm out of ideas to tell to service to check. 

So I made below checks and fixes: 

- When I first noticed the sound I re-balanced the summer tires on the tire shop, summer tires are balanced off the car and back tires are balanced again on the car.

- One month ago I switch to winter tires sound increased become more noticeable also balance work is done again. Also asked to check the rims if there is any bend parts but there isn't.

- I was low on front discs and pads so they all changed, back discs and pads seems fine for now.

- While the car is on lift I turned them to hear any problem with the hub bearings , also asked service guys to check them and they didn't hear or find any problem. 

- Sound can be heard at best 6th gear 2500 rpm - 3000 rpm  in between 100 Km/h ~ 140 Km/h. Over or under these ranges probably continues to do but I can't hear it over the engine sound.   

- I did try applying brakes a bit while keeping the speed to feel if any vibration increase or decrease. Nothing significant there... 

- Hard on corners increase the sound and make it more hearable with a higher pitch.

- I put it to neutral while going (I know, not good idea for the a/t) but still hear it the noise. 

I'm thinking may be problem is with the hubs bearings may be I need to check on load, but how? (all factory hubs at the moment no change or after market hub installed)

Also may be I need to check alignment settings for wheel camber & caster but when I leave steering alone for test it goes straight at the speeds that I hear the sound.  

[url=https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/alignment/alignment-settings-wheel-camber-and-caster/][/url]More scary thoughts... May be problem is caused by diff or gearbox, I don't think it's the engine since when in neutral it continues  also I want to believe it's not gearbox. 

So if anyone have another opinion or something else to check, I would be very very appriciated... 

Happy new year... 

Regards.
could be the diff bearings ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No sound on indicators, seat belt warning and quiet front parking sensors mpotsb 4 7,421 22:nd-Feb-2020, 19:24:53
Last Post: mpotsb
  Water sloshing sound Marc_81 6 4,780 29:th-Nov-2018, 12:22:12
Last Post: Maxniomi
  Astra J Infinity Sound problem abba34 9 7,497 11:th-Mar-2017, 17:59:21
Last Post: abba34
  Oscillating Light Rumble when driving at 70mph Vx-Mad-G 3 4,019 26:th-Oct-2016, 21:57:52
Last Post: tucpal
  Headlights Levelling Sound sheppy1 2 3,599 11:th-Apr-2016, 12:27:35
Last Post: sheppy1
  Sound Proofing pope30 6 5,851 23:rd-Jan-2015, 07:29:37
Last Post: tucpal