Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
charging system vehicle please help service

HELP PLEASE - Service Vehicle Charging System
Hey folks,

Can you please help. Just had the below message come up on the dash "Service Vehicle Charging System", along with the battery light.

Anyone know what this could be? Usually means alternator or fan belt, fan belt is good and intact.

Any ideas please.

Thanks,
G.
Fault code/s may help, but here's a link to some info.
http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ast...operation/
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thats a great link, but really confusing.

I have just had Kwik Fit do a battery and alternator test and its come back clear.
Battery Voltage is 12.69V
Charging System/Alternator is 14.76V without load and 14.61V with load.

And then on the way back when I was about to park up, I got a message saying:

! BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE

What on earth does this all mean?
Hi, this is the code im getting.

P2500-00 <Unknown DTC>

Im also noticing a slightly odd idling speed, it starts normal, then goes to 1000rpm, then just over and then settles again at around 995rpm, when it should actually be around 800rpm.
Its not hunting, but it just changes.

I had a battery and alternator test carried out on the Mrs car after it wouldn't start.
both came back clear, but after that I left the car for 30mins and again the battery was flat.

The over idling sounds like it's trying put charge into the battery mine does it at times.

That code has helped.

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ast..._or_p2501/
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
What do I do? Its running OK, just these messages and battery light. What is actually going on and whats actually wrong?

I dont want to wait for it to konk out ad the wife drives it.
It could be a bad earth or a dodge connection.

First thing I would do is clean up all the grounds and check over all the connections.

It's going to be a process of elimination.

If then you find the error is still there you need to carry out the steps in the link above.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
If im honest, I dont understand what it is that I need to do from the link....too many technical references. Do I just clean the batter earth points?
Start by cleaning all the ground points up you can find.

But pull the negative off the battery first.

If that doesn't solve the issue I would recommend you pop into a local garage who has all the tools and knowledge to run the tests in the link above.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Its booked into the garage tomorrow morning. If im honest with you, I pulled up the bonnet yesterday and just dont know where to start. Im going to disconnect all battery wires today, rough them up and re-connect, but I cant even see the wires that go to the starter or alternator.

If im honest, I dont actually know what I should be checking and looking for and which connection....

Can you be more specific? I am genuinely really confused.
Where the battery is there is a bunch of ground wires tucked by the headlight.

As for alternator it's easier getting to from the bottom.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thank you. Ill check them at lunch time.
Tried cleaning up all the earth point I could see, but same thing. Also cleaned up negative battery terminals, same thing.

I found a sensor on the negative terminal with code: 12844068....could this have anything to do with it? Im guessing this sends a signal to something? Could this faulty?
It's linked to this but you never know.

I'd let the garage run the test's to see if they can find anything.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
OK, sound advice. Im dropping to them tonight. Fingers crossed they can pinpoint the fault. Hope its not trial and error.

OK, now this is getting stranger.

We have just had another message come up saying: Service Stabilitrak.

What one earth is this now?
Right folks, car has just broken down on the side of road. Getting all the above messages and also seeing a SERVICE POWER STEERING MESSAGE too now.

Car has conked out. There is life in the battery, but it ticks on turn and wont start. Havent forced, waiting for recovery truck.
Right, recovery man has been out. Alternator is showing really low voltage so its scrooged!

I will be screwing at Kwik ***** tomorrow for an incorrect diagnosis
I'm surprised kwickfit didn't say it needed both parts replacing.

So hopefully a new alternator will solve the issue.

What may pay to do is trickle charge the battery over night to get it full again.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Right, so have had an alternator fitted and we are right as rain again. The S/S werent working on Friday, but once it was all charged up again its all working now.

Really thought Kwik Fit would have been accurate.
Result, I'm surprised they didn't tell you both needed replacing.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
To be honest, I would rather they have told me something. I was tempted to call them and have a rant, but it was a free service anyway. I always knew the battery light is alternator, but flippin' lights and messages got the better of me. Just could have done with out the hassle of the car completely dying on the wife at a very busy junction.
Bought 13 plate Vxr yesterday and having same problem , hope its alternator .
(1:st-Jul-2020, 21:50:33)jellybean Wrote: Bought 13 plate Vxr yesterday and having same problem , hope its alternator .

Most likely mate and I hope its just that. Mine was a nuisance as I took it to get it checked twice and both times it decided it was going to play ball, until it just died!!!

Go to a kwik fit, they do a free battery and alternator test.
I've got astra gtc 2.0 cdti sri, I've put a new battery on and it won't start!! And is saying service battery charging system any ideas?
(12:th-Oct-2020, 12:58:58)Astragtc Wrote: I've got astra gtc 2.0 cdti sri, I've put a new battery on and it won't start!! And is saying service battery charging system any ideas?

Is it Stop/start?
Have you bought the correct battery?
I know S/S battery's need to be relearned but this shouldn't be stopping the car from starting.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abs light and service esp warning 1 week before MOT [emoji24] Sc0tty05 5 9,445 24:th-Nov-2020, 18:25:28
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
Aftermarket Headunit with Infinty System tez162003 3 2,951 13:th-Jun-2020, 08:37:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Service power steering warning light. R4hulb 4 13,453 23:rd-Mar-2018, 13:01:58
Last Post: R4hulb
  Service ESP Help! bradleyy_ev 6 24,274 17:th-Feb-2018, 13:06:09
Last Post: bradleyy_ev
  Not Starting on first turn and Service Theft Deterrent System Vx-Mad-G 5 18,295 30:th-Jan-2017, 13:07:31
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  Service Deterrent System Issue Vx-Mad-G 7 9,993 13:th-Dec-2016, 16:22:27
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G