Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
knocking front

Front knocking
Hi,
I've had my 2.0CDT SRI Astra J for about a month now and it is great, but...

I have already developed a knocking clunking noise coming from ( what I think ) is front pasanger side. It can be heard at slowish speed up to 40mph. There is no knocking when turning the steering wheel/pulling off + going over spead bumps doesn't make it any worse.

I have so far tried the following:

1. Rock the car from side to side
2. Push down on the bonet ( top of the struts )
3. Push/Pull the wheels
4. Push/Pull on the ARBs & arms...

Admittedly, I haven't had the car jacked up/wheels off yet but from looking into the wheel arches the bushes ( that can be seen ) seem to look well and don't feel broken to touch, there are no apparent cracks etc.

I have read somewhere about the break callipers being known to rattle and when slowing down on a bumpy road it doesn seem to be as bad, but definitely doesn't go away

Coming from a Vectra with several ARB links replaced that was my first idea, but they seem solid ( no movement at all ).

I am lost for ideas, anyone?

Thanks
Patrick
I recently had a rattle that sounded similar to two hammers being knocked together. That was coming from the passenger side too. Local tyre garage had it for over an hour, checked over everything and couldn't find anything loose or wrong.

I noticed it disappeared when I touched the brakes. Turned out one of the brake pads was rattling about in the calliper. The anti rattle clips weren't doing their job properly. I remember when I changed the brake pads and discs a couple of months ago that the rattle clips had got bent in transit. I straightened them out but obviously not enough to secure the pad from rattling.

I couldn't believe something like that could make that amount of noise. when rattling the brake pad by hand, it could hardly be heard.
Thanks Big Dave,

I will have a look when the weather is better, but...
I havent changed the pads/done anything so doubt they would have bent themselves.

Patrick
(5:th-Jun-2017, 19:07:59)Patrick050289 Wrote: Hi Patrick,

Did you get to the bottom of these noises in the end?

I bought a 12 plate 1.6 Astra J Elite around 14months ago. Its been completely plagued with problems from day 1 but I just love the car. Luckily I bought it with 2 year warrantee so jokes on them as its already had around £4000 worth of repairs.

Back to the point, over the xmas period mine also developed a knocking noise from the front passenger side. It only seems to be heard when I'm driving over "rough" terrain [broken tarmac, potholes, poor roads etc]. It can be heard from 0mph-70mph but ONLY when I am coasting, if I am accelerating or braking the noise seems to stop. Again, going over speed bumps doesn't make it worse but can still be heard if I let go of the brake or ease off the gas before going over.

I took a look at it with a family friend who owns a small garage but told him if it was anything that would mess my warrantee about then I would just take it back to where I bought it from, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something daft like something loose and easy to fix. He thought it could be the track ends, but after "inspecting them VERY closely" the noise was still there so I've booked it in next week.

Oh and another thing, the car was only in for an oil cooler replacement 3 weeks before xmas and the complimentary health check came back with everything fine in regards to suspension and brakes, if that makes any difference.

I've had suggestions that it could be the dampeners, drop links or as mentioned the Calliper carriers??

Cheers,
Damien
The best way to test for any movement on anti roll bars and suspension arms is using a pry bar as when my drivers droplink started clunking, pushing and pulling etc wouldn't replicate the fault it wasn't till I put a prybar inbetween the antirollbar and sub frame that I was able to replicate the fault on the droplink. Same applies to checking the the bottom suspension arms for any movement in the bushes.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retrofit front parking sensors (GTC) pedroc1999 3 2,365 27:th-May-2023, 23:46:17
Last Post: M.Duman
  Lowering springs identify front rear martinpe68 1 1,678 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:22:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Front PDC wiring diagram milozic 1 2,475 2:nd-Feb-2021, 09:33:19
  Front suspension knock????? Sri~mike 10 8,122 22:nd-Dec-2020, 10:21:36
Last Post: M222RJF
  VXR Front Bumper onto a 5dr Bear 2 3,365 3:rd-Oct-2020, 11:48:59
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,640 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 front brake disc size Nathan191210 2 2,798 25:th-Apr-2020, 07:41:05
  Can You Add Front Fogs to an Astra J? SAMW98SO 2 3,724 10:th-Apr-2020, 13:29:58
Last Post: SAMW98SO
  No sound on indicators, seat belt warning and quiet front parking sensors mpotsb 4 7,416 22:nd-Feb-2020, 19:24:53
Last Post: mpotsb
  Astra j vxr front seat Custerz90 7 8,786 31:st-Oct-2019, 16:30:42
Last Post: marablind