Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Poll: Which tyre do you recommend...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dunlop SP Sport 1, Part Worn with approx 5.5-6mm tread remaining - around £70 the pair fitted
20.00%
2 20.00%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - NEW - around £120 the pair fitted
30.00%
3 30.00%
Nexen N 8000 - NEW - around £120 the pair fitted
20.00%
2 20.00%
Maxxis Premitra HP5 - NEW - around £150 the pair fitted
10.00%
1 10.00%
Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 - NEW - around £150 the pair fitted
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
choices a should please few i which tyres comments have have?

Which tyres should I have? Comments please....have a few choices
Hey folks,

I need new tyres, but always conscious about how they perform. Dont/cant break the bank, but at the same time need some decent rubber.

My choices are:
- Dunlop SP Sport 1, Part Worn with approx 5.5-6mm tread remaining - around £70 the pair fitted;
- Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - NEW - around £120 the pair fitted;
- Nexen N 8000 - NEW - around £120 the pair fitted;
- Maxxis Premitra HP5 - NEW - around £150 the pair fitted;
- Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 - NEW - around £150 the pair fitted;

Let me know please.

Thanks,
G.
If money were no object then I'd go for Mich Cross Climates, excellent for all year round use.
I'm running with two sets, winters & summer tyres.
RS2's are decent for summer use (made by conti). Maxxis are decent too, may last a little longer than the RS2's. Some of the newer Nexen tyres are good, bit better than the 8000's. I wouldn't bother with part worn tyres, I usually change my boots when they're down to 3mm. Starting with 5.5mm, does not leave you a lot to play with. Then there's the condition of them to consider too.
Money is an issue, I wish I could go completely premium. The Uniroyal came up by chance.
I went to see my mate who has a tyre place and he has 2 sat there on his shelf. Two decent part worns (non-pairs of Bridgestone/Michelins) from him would cost me £35-£40 each, so these at £60 each seem a no brainer, dont they?

Are the RS2's and old tyre? Should I be concerned if they have been sat on the shelf?
The uniroyals are getting good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Would you put RS2's on your own car? Even if they have been on a shelf for a while, I assume they have from the fact that RS3's are out...?
I'm always after a bargain so would go for the part worn Dunlop SP's... had some our my last car and they were good tyres. I purchased 2 235 40 19 part worn Continental Contact3's with 7mm+ tread months ago for £90, they are good tyres also.
(16:th-Dec-2016, 17:29:25)Vx-Mad-G Wrote: Money is an issue, I wish I could go completely premium. The Uniroyal came up by chance.
I went to see my mate who has a tyre place and he has 2 sat there on his shelf. Two decent part worns (non-pairs of Bridgestone/Michelins) from him would cost me £35-£40 each, so these at £60 each seem a no brainer, dont they?

Are the RS2's and old tyre? Should I be concerned if they have been sat on the shelf?
I've had Uniroyal Rain Expert fitted to my previous H, I thought they were very good, especially in the wet. I'd have no issues buying a set of rainsport 2's. RS 3's are out now.
as above
I've just fitted some RS3s to my 19" only cost me 90 each so far I'm impressed. Not keen on Bridgestone or Pirelli, Hankooks are very good to

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Im on a few other forums also and I have heard some great things about ThreeA tyres, and ive read the reviews, I now find myself leaning towards them.....I can get a pair fitted for £75 new....
I have the uniroyal RS3s on the front and they're awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, would you be concerned about putting a 4+ year old tyre on your car, Brand New, but its been sat on a shelf for years.... thats basically my dilema with the Uniroyal RS2...
As long as the tyre hasn't perished I can't see any harm, all tyres should have a date stamped on them of when they were made as long as it's under 10yrs I wouldn't worry.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I have gone with the ThreeA, have ordered a pair today. So should be all fitted, tracked balanced by the end of the week for £100 all in.
We live in a relatively wet country so I always go for A or B rated wet grip
I think these are B rated and C rates fuel. 72db noise.
i'd never buy part worn again due to multiple experiences, if you value your car and your life go with new
When I had the Vectra, I generally was OK with part worns, until one started to make the car shake like a leaf between 50-70mph.
The tyres visibily looked perfect, felt completely round and no uneven edges, yet it was vibrating the whole car. In the end I got racked off and bought 4x new Kumho's.

Since then, especially for the wifes car, I wont go part worn. Hopefully ill be happy with a top-end Budget tyre with good reviews.
Don't laugh at this but look at Landsail cheap budget and great for running around Town me other half got them on a cooper S and loves them ok you can stop laughing ps read the reviews they get

I'd never choose part worn and in fact your insurance maybe void.

Just use common sense, if you drive hard and do decent mileage then it's worth splashing out for decent tyres.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
(25:th-Jan-2017, 21:20:00)J1ODYA Wrote: I'd never choose part worn and in fact your insurance maybe void.

Just use common sense, if you drive hard and do decent mileage then it's worth splashing out for decent tyres.

I would love to know how your insurance company would know you had purchased part worn tyres. That is the same as saying never get your tyre repaired if you get a puncture.
(26:th-Jan-2017, 12:21:17)stigeye Wrote: I would love to know how your insurance company would know you had purchased part worn tyres.

I wondered that because once a brand new tyre has been driven on, it has become part worn, so how would an insurer know you bought it part worn tyre?

Then a Google search revealed the answer. Part worn tyres must be labelled as such.

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/part...tyres-law/

"Part worn tyres which have not been retreaded must clearly show the relevant ‘E’ mark alongside which ‘PART-WORN’ must be permanently and legibly applied in letters at least 4mm high. These words cannot be hot branded or cut into the tyre."

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/part-worn

"Part worn tyres must: Be marked with 'PART-WORN' in upper case letters at least 4mm high."

http://www.ntda.co.uk/useful-links/part-worn-tyres/

"Part Worn Tyres and the Law"
"Part worn tyres which have not been re-treaded must clearly show the relevant ‘E’ mark alongside which ‘PART-WORN’ must be permanently and legibly applied in letters at least 4mm high."
I believe that if you had a blowout on the road resulting in £££'s damage an insurance company 'may' look at your tyres in the event of a claim. It must be stated though that part worn tyres are not illegal, and the ABI (Association of British Insurers) have stated that as long as your tyres are legal and roadworthy, fitting part worn tyres is perfectly within your insurance policy terms and conditions (unless specified otherwise).
Nankang as1 are pretty decent for budget tyres. I'll buy them again.

2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Yes I have used Nanking but the Landsail I find just shade them
Other ones I have tried are accelera phi, not as grippy as the Nankang as1 but do the job of eating up motorway miles.
Damn good deals on them at the moment. Oponeo website.

2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Tyres on car at moment are Goodyear efficient grip performance ,really good in all weather
Got 2 x 245/40r19 98Y XL Goodyear Eagle F1 on the back, seem like a good tyre
(26:th-Jan-2017, 12:21:17)stigeye Wrote:
(25:th-Jan-2017, 21:20:00)J1ODYA Wrote: I'd never choose part worn and in fact your insurance maybe void.

I would love to know how your insurance company would know you had purchased part worn tyres. That is the same as saying never get your tyre repaired if you get a puncture.
I just don't trust insurance companies to try anything to get out of paying... I take your point though and just throw all receipts lol

Using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wobble after new tyres Craig2305 2 1,477 22:nd-Feb-2021, 09:17:25
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 Tyres Vx-Mad-G 3 2,898 15:th-Mar-2019, 14:02:43
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  Winter/seasonal tyres? Exlabman 4 3,023 1:st-Feb-2019, 08:36:56
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Tyres-225/45/17 instead of 225/50/17 ??? Vx-Mad-G 5 4,029 17:th-Oct-2018, 13:30:38
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  Tyres Elad1962 1 2,563 14:th-Oct-2018, 22:51:46
Last Post: Jopo2311
  Tyres - what have you got on your car ? Dennis S 11 5,334 5:th-Aug-2018, 14:41:46
Last Post: mislav_os
  235/40 zr 19 tyres chrisb2511 5 4,724 1:st-Aug-2016, 18:55:16
Last Post: chrisb2511
  Accelera PHI tyres. bannan 6 5,546 7:th-Jun-2016, 22:14:51
Last Post: bannan
  Tyre choices 18" wheels andy2174 6 5,188 15:th-Apr-2016, 17:14:13
Last Post: andy2174
  Tyres Kris 34 14,666 15:th-Feb-2016, 20:47:33
Last Post: Kris