Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
non new but vauxhall my british second car

My new second car, non Vauxhall, but, British
I was previously running a 2010 Smart fortwo as my second vehicle, which helped keep some of my 30K mileage a year off of the Astra

However, soon after buying the Smart it became obvious it was lemon in the automated manual gearbox department........

6 break downs, all gearbox related, one new clutch actuator later and yet still the same issues persisted.........

Car has been rejected by me back to the supplying garage via the finance company, which is proving to be a long, drawn out and frustrating saga

Fast forward to last week, I needed another second vehicle, something comfortable, something decent on mpg, an automatic, as the traffic to and from work is proving to be a pain during the dark winter months......

Step forward a 08 Jaguar X358 XJ tdvi executive, 1 previous owner, which was the civil service (via Government Car Services), full history (all work and mot's carried out by GCS's own facilities)

Its not armoured or anything like, so wasnt a high ranking government officials car, but, does have map reading lights on the front passenger seat and both rear passenger seats, also the standard fit satnav must have been deselected its just a standard radio/cd changer item

Car drove beautifully on the test drive, it will be my 3rd XJ, having previously owned an X308 and X300

I don't know where you get all the money from.

Shame the smart was a Lemon & I hope you resolve the issue soon.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
You go for a smart because it's more efficient and then go all Arthur Daley on us and buy a Jag lol
The Jaguar is actually cheaper than the Astra was

Trying not to get too stressed about the Smart debacle, although its galling still paying the finance, insurance, road tax on it whilst it drags on at a glacial rate

The Jaguar is totally opposite to the Smart thats for sure, size wise, mpg it shouldnt be that bad, as I only use my cars for longer trips and work, short trips we use my wifes car
Further update as I havent been on the forum in ages.....in fact other than a MOT for the Astra in mid December and a drive to my works yard in January, my Astra hasnt moved in ages.........

I hit a deer in The Jaguar just before Xmas, quite a lot of hidden damage to the front of the car, the insurers dragged their heels for ages and have finally agreed to repair the car

In the meantime I picked up a Saab 9-5 Aero for a bit of a fun car

However, common sense has kicked in and I dont need 3 cars, so the oldest had to go, namely the Saab

So, the Astra will be pressed back into service from Monday

Will be glad to get back into something more modern and a better mpg wise.......