Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
start stop

Start / stop
Hi guys..... sorry if this as been asked but I have searched but to no avail.

I have a gtc 2.0 cdti Sri with start / stop..... my question is =

Is it more economical to use the start stop or just let the engine tick over ? I know it has been designed to have start / stop but surely it isn't very good for the engine mounts / glow plugs and everything else really keep stopping and starting ..... I know it may sound a bunch of stupid questions but it's more curiosity

Thanks in advance

James
it saves fuel i suppose but i guess also it has other drawbacks battery life glow plugs etc
i have it but it is always turned off or if it is on it never seems to work anyway haha
it's a useless function
Cheers tuc..... is there a way of keeping it turned off within the config menu ?

Cheers james
if there is a way rusty will know and i also would like that done and removed
i just don't want it but i like the cheaper tax mind you
Have a watch of this.

https://youtu.be/_nr0h7GXY6E

I use mine all of the time. I'd like to think that the engine and its components are designed in such a way to cope with the added stress. I know for a fact (due to having to have it replaced £££) that the battery is an AGM battery which is specific for stop start vehicles. As for turning it off in the configuration, I don't believe you can

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
but when you way the price of a new battery up because it will fail earlier
where is the saving haha i had a nissan micra start stop hire car for a few weeks last year
and i can honestly say the start stop was brilliant worked every time the car stopped
but as for the vauxhall start stop system really it is not the best
even with the button on it is hit or miss if it even does start stop
and for that reason it is best left off as it is a waste of time
I didn't realise the batteries where expensive :0(
batteries are more expensive and glow plugs are also more expensive than their standard none stop start equivalents.
My battery was quoted at £290 plus vat from Vauxhall and circa £240 from anywhere else so yeah, it's more expensive. That said, since I changed the battery mine works everytime. Maybe your battery needs changing @tucpal?

there is also one more drawback with stop start driving
failed DPF regen the car can not complete a regen when the car is in stop start driving conditions
so you increase your risk of failed regens

i remember when you got the battery to sort this none stop start issue out and i am glad it worked for you
my battery is fine had it tested and i have no issues at all with that i wont be replacing my battery
just to see if the stop start works better when i just don't use it anyway
Ah didn't think about the dpf regen....... think il leave the s/s off for awhile so at least if it wants to regen it can
to be fair just stopping at the lights can either pause or stop a regen
my stop start does work i just chose not to use it i am just not eco minded haha
I never used to be until I started doing 1700 miles a month.

Yea I do 2k a month just going to work and back
Glow plugs won't wear out any quicker using stop/start the glow plugs are only used on a cold start once the engine is warm glow plugs aren't needed.

Also a battery life is around 5yrs and my car is 4yrs old soon and not a single sign of battery trouble.

If the car is doing a regen stop/start is disabled, if I'm sat at lights while a regen is happening I just keep the revs at 2500 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
My battery lasted 4yrs before I had to replace it

Is there any signs other than a led fitted that a regen is taking place ?
Look at fuel when on tick over if it's 0.3-0.4 it's doing a regen, also if you have the ECO screen switch that and if in Tap consumers you Rear defrost is on (and the tell-tell LED is unlit on the heater panel) it's doing a regen.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
you need a keen eye to spot it happening thats for sure
without the dpf led fitted
Do you get an weird eggy smell when it's doing it ?
when i did the stationary dpf clean yes and you can see the smoke also
but when it did it when driving no not at all
I think it did a regen then this morning going into work
I was always concerned about the turbo while start/stop is switched on.

I was always under the impression the turbo needed to cool down before turning off the engine? If you have been doing motorway speed for miles then get stuck in a traffic jam or at lights or even arrive at home and the engine just stops it can't be doing the turbo any favours. Or are modern turbos/engines designed to accommodate this?
(17:th-Sep-2016, 09:40:18)JPW Wrote: Do you get an weird eggy smell when it's doing it ?

Are you sure you didn't just fart and forget lol
(17:th-Sep-2016, 12:20:26)stigeye Wrote:
(17:th-Sep-2016, 09:40:18)JPW Wrote: Do you get an weird eggy smell when it's doing it ?

Are you sure you didn't just fart and forget lol

Haha was waiting for this reply all morning lol
While you are quite you should allow the engine to tick over for turbo cool down the same as you should allow a tick over when you start it I would say that the S/S will not really make a massive difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I doubt manufactures would produce vehicles in their masses with start stop and not have the engine suitably modified for the system. Bare in mind we're talking about manufacturers from budget to prestige that utilise the technology

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uneven idle and hunting on initial start up Jpbroad1970 2 2,129 24:th-Aug-2021, 09:34:41
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Intermittent start, stalls after clock sweep no throttle response Jump to Latest Brendonm9477 5 2,949 5:th-Jan-2021, 13:55:10
  "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated" Advice appreciated please Dennis S 25 39,252 30:th-Aug-2020, 13:56:18
Last Post: Rgotts00
  Retrofitting stop/start system momoomar 3 2,372 23:rd-Apr-2020, 13:44:22
Last Post: marcus01
  astra j 2.0 start up cornwall37 2 2,655 10:th-Apr-2020, 13:47:56
Last Post: Kiel0777
  New Fuel filter. Wont start SALMHAGE 1 2,420 18:th-Dec-2019, 23:24:29
Last Post: SALMHAGE
  Start up issue... only once daveloz12 4 4,171 22:nd-Mar-2019, 10:02:26
Last Post: daveloz12
  What would cause stop/start to not work? Vx-Mad-G 12 19,805 1:st-Jan-2019, 10:15:22
Last Post: Rusty2009
Astra J, turns but will not start randilio1 6 4,535 2:nd-Dec-2018, 19:01:23
  Start/Charge fault CraigSRi 2 3,169 16:th-Feb-2018, 12:01:17
Last Post: CraigSRi